• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

It's that time of year again when the wood loving actives are out in my area.  Came across a small patch of Ps Allenii awhile back, and pulled the butts out of the ground with mycelium to start my own beds.  

IMG_0481.jpeg IMG_0494.jpeg

In my tub I started with a layer of cardboard on the bottom to cover up the small holes I'd made for drainage.  The cardboard I like to use is not double walled, per se.  The corrugation is exposed, thus more surface area.  I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I feel like I read that it does someplace, and it's stuck.

After that is a layer of sawdust, and then a layer of wood chips.  At this point I threw a couple butts into the mix, then put another layer of cardboard, more butts, then more cardboard, then chips and sawdust.  I wanted to see if there was any difference in the butts mycelating the cardboard or chips/sawdust at different rates.

After that I watered the whole thing until it was pretty soaked, and tossed another piece of cardboard on top.  I also cut a dark plastic trash bag so it would fit around the bottom of the tub, and create some darkness for the substrate.  I then placed the whole shebang on a heating mat.  I will post some photos of the shebang shortly.

After three or four weeks, and once a week watering, I'm getting some growth.

allenii_one.jpg allenii_two.jpg

The plan as of now is to colonize and expand in hopes of having more than I know what to do with by next season.  Will make some wild patches, but definitely want to fruit some tubs in my backyard first and foremost.  

• wharfrat and joeya like this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,686 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:00 AM

It looks like something is going on besides myc to me. Time will tell. I will send all my hopes.

• wharfrat likes this

#3 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

I wouldn’t doubt it. I did a completely non sterile approach to this. The wood chips and sawdust were pasteurized, and the tub was wiped down, but that’s it. FWIW I had just watered the wood chips before I took pictures, so the moisture you’re seeing is from that.

#4 PickleRick

PickleRick

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

Nice find Bobo!

This is kinda what I did the first time I found wood-lovers ( Cyanescens ).

What I actually did was took the stem butts and cleaned them up well with fresh water (  put a drop of bleach in the water, just a little ). I then made some spawn by putting beech chips pasteurized and soaked overnight ( bit of bleach in water ), drained well and placed into ziploc bags ( no soil ) and gave the stem butts a dip in a peroxide/water solution ( 3% is standard ) before dropping into bag removing excess air and sealing up, placing in dark at room temp. You can use a small cooler to keep pasteurization temps for an hour or so and to leave overnight to soak. Too a few weeks to colonize, opened the bags every other day for fresh air. I then used these small spawn blocks to innoculate final substrate. I used one stem butt per small ziploc, just a few ounces of chips as well..made up a few bags to up the odds as well...worked out quite well with that solitary find turning into a large annual supply of cyans for a good number of years.

Hopefully you manage to get a decent culture from your find, it will keep going as long as you give the minimal maintenance it needs.

• Bobotrank and Moonless like this

#5 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Pickle! I never thought of cleaning the actual butts up. That is a good idea. I feel like in retrospect I shouldn’t have put all my butts in one basket... like I could have given myself better odds splitting them up like you. We shall see. If it all goes to shit I took 3 decent prints that I could put to agar, so there’s a backup plan at least.

#6 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 103 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Made another wild find today that I will be employing Pickle’s clean up tek on. Psilocybe cyanascens.331B2C35-8A5D-4045-B63B-C4C07A7D0691.jpeg
  • Cuboid likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!