• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

It's that time of year again when the wood loving actives are out in my area.  Came across a small patch of Ps Allenii awhile back, and pulled the butts out of the ground with mycelium to start my own beds.  

IMG_0481.jpeg IMG_0494.jpeg

In my tub I started with a layer of cardboard on the bottom to cover up the small holes I'd made for drainage.  The cardboard I like to use is not double walled, per se.  The corrugation is exposed, thus more surface area.  I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but I feel like I read that it does someplace, and it's stuck.

After that is a layer of sawdust, and then a layer of wood chips.  At this point I threw a couple butts into the mix, then put another layer of cardboard, more butts, then more cardboard, then chips and sawdust.  I wanted to see if there was any difference in the butts mycelating the cardboard or chips/sawdust at different rates.

After that I watered the whole thing until it was pretty soaked, and tossed another piece of cardboard on top.  I also cut a dark plastic trash bag so it would fit around the bottom of the tub, and create some darkness for the substrate.  I then placed the whole shebang on a heating mat.  I will post some photos of the shebang shortly.

After three or four weeks, and once a week watering, I'm getting some growth.

allenii_one.jpg allenii_two.jpg

The plan as of now is to colonize and expand in hopes of having more than I know what to do with by next season.  Will make some wild patches, but definitely want to fruit some tubs in my backyard first and foremost.  

• wharfrat and joeya like this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:00 AM

It looks like something is going on besides myc to me. Time will tell. I will send all my hopes.

• wharfrat likes this

#3 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:51 AM

I wouldn’t doubt it. I did a completely non sterile approach to this. The wood chips and sawdust were pasteurized, and the tub was wiped down, but that’s it. FWIW I had just watered the wood chips before I took pictures, so the moisture you’re seeing is from that.

#4 PickleRick

PickleRick

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:40 PM

Nice find Bobo!

This is kinda what I did the first time I found wood-lovers ( Cyanescens ).

What I actually did was took the stem butts and cleaned them up well with fresh water (  put a drop of bleach in the water, just a little ). I then made some spawn by putting beech chips pasteurized and soaked overnight ( bit of bleach in water ), drained well and placed into ziploc bags ( no soil ) and gave the stem butts a dip in a peroxide/water solution ( 3% is standard ) before dropping into bag removing excess air and sealing up, placing in dark at room temp. You can use a small cooler to keep pasteurization temps for an hour or so and to leave overnight to soak. Too a few weeks to colonize, opened the bags every other day for fresh air. I then used these small spawn blocks to innoculate final substrate. I used one stem butt per small ziploc, just a few ounces of chips as well..made up a few bags to up the odds as well...worked out quite well with that solitary find turning into a large annual supply of cyans for a good number of years.

Hopefully you manage to get a decent culture from your find, it will keep going as long as you give the minimal maintenance it needs.

• Bobotrank and Moonless like this

#5 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

Thanks Pickle! I never thought of cleaning the actual butts up. That is a good idea. I feel like in retrospect I shouldn’t have put all my butts in one basket... like I could have given myself better odds splitting them up like you. We shall see. If it all goes to shit I took 3 decent prints that I could put to agar, so there’s a backup plan at least.
  • PickleRick likes this

#6 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:01 PM

Made another wild find today that I will be employing Pickle’s clean up tek on. Psilocybe cyanascens.331B2C35-8A5D-4045-B63B-C4C07A7D0691.jpeg
  • Cuboid, Nicked and PickleRick like this

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

How are you planning to fruit these? In an outdoor bed?

Edit: sorry stupid question, I just read that you are.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 19 January 2020 - 04:37 PM.

#8 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:39 PM

Yup! I’ve had numerous cyans syringes that I’ve tried to pop with no luck... only Azurs would mycelate for me. So hopefully starting this way will help.
  • RutgerHauer likes this

#9 Bobotrank

Bobotrank

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

Fuck. Put the butt in the fridge all wrapped and happy, but the bag didn’t seal properly, and it dried out a little. Still giving it a go, but this one might fail.

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,132 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

Soliciting Prints on the open forums is Highly frowned upon. Thus the reason the soliciting keeps getting deleted. Go to FB, private message or VIP if you want to use Topia as the classifieds. Content has been hidden/deleted for those wondering WTF I'm talking about.

Edited by coorsmikey, 19 January 2020 - 07:59 PM.

#11 PickleRick

PickleRick

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

sorry, just saw that...wondered why post dissappeared, my bad. Apologies

Edited by PickleRick, 19 January 2020 - 08:04 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!