Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

White mark on the "cap" of one of my pins... what is it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:00 AM

My tek cakes are coming along nicely, but I've noticed on one of the pins that on the orange cap part there is a white bit. I've took pics, but sorry,  they're not very good as I don't really want to take them out of their tents at the moment. The circled part is the mark, not a water droplet >_>

IMG_20200112_094459.jpg

IMG_20200112_094350.jpg

All other pins look fine, but this one just has that mark on it. I don't think it's contam but has anything like that appeared on anyone pins before?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200112_094459.jpg

Edited by ss2matt, 12 January 2020 - 05:03 AM.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,775 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

There is fungus growing on the cap! :meditate:

#3 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

I call them mushroom warts

Usually to much indicates a abort.

But yea, coorsmikey said it, its mycelium, another indicator that the r.h may be to high.

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,948 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

It's just something that happens sometimes. I've seen those spots pop up in 99-100% rH conditions (cakes) and ~80% rH conditions (bulk subs), so I don't think it's related to humidity, or at least doesn't seem to be caused by the humidity being too high or too low.

It's probably just a spot of vegetative mycelium that started growing there for whatever reason. Maybe it's similar to rosecomb, where something induced a spot on the cap to revert to vegetative growth or maybe it's a new colony growing from spores that landed on it and sprouted (though I'm not sure if that would be possible)? In any case I don't get the impression that it's a contaminant or anything to be concerned about.

#5 ss2matt

ss2matt

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 02:48 PM

Yeah I had a feeling it was probably mycelium that established onto the cap, and I assume it'll just eat that pin and re-join the cake again eventually... a shame if that's the case, as that pin is the biggest so far to form on it and would have probably made a good fruit  :sad:

It does still seem to be growing though, so I dunno maybe it'll out-compete it or something...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!