Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

I think I failed.. this came up overnight..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ashroomed

ashroomed

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

I have had this in fruiting conditions for about the past 5 days and it has slowly been growing and changing, this morning I have woken up to this and I just cannot imagine it being anything but terrible..?

I was fanning and misting 2-3 times for day, had the lid flipped and had it on 12/12 6500k light.

Thoughts?

I have also attached a photo from the previous day as a comparison

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if this is in the incorrect spot, please let me know and I will correct my mistake.

Thank you for any help

Attached Thumbnails

• 82986570_1078016829199774_8590123566266056704_n.jpg
  • 81373207_597881390780866_4011345084749447168_n.jpg

#2 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:58 PM

Looks like the start of the mean green to me.

Keep it another day or two until it gets it greenish color, if it is in fact green mold and not a crazy multispore genetic making a appearance.

If it is trich then depending on your climate you could bury it outside in a outdoor bed and hope for the best.
  • PJammer24, wharfrat and ashroomed like this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,491 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

first tub has trich and cobweb, guaranteed it will turn green soon. second tub looks ok so far. I would toss or quaranteen that bad tub.

• PJammer24 likes this

#4 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,790 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

That what's so cool about 6qt tubs! Take the bad one out to the garden and let the rest grow...........uh wait, that is a 6qt right?

Edited by coorsmikey, 12 January 2020 - 08:43 PM.

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

Get that bin out of there now.

Don't wait for it to turn green since those are the spores and once you can see green they're already everywhere.

• wharfrat and MsBehavin420 like this

#6 ashroomed

ashroomed

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

Threw it away, it had green contamination all through the bottom of it, cleaned the fridge it was growing in out with bleach and vinegar water, first grow, so pretty disheartened. Hopefully the other jars in there are fine still. They were still all growing in sterile jars so hopefully they were not effected. Any thoughts on how to deal with this next time? it was a 50/50 coir verm mix, probably used a 1:4 ratio which is probably part of the issue... I will be doing a 1:1 for my next few tubs and am going to be using small 3-5 litre tubs for them (around 1 gallon tubs). Any advice for my next? I have heard that just using 100% coir as a sub can help keep contam away?

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:57 AM

If the chlorine mixes with the vinegar you get chlorine gas. It doesn't take much to be a problem.

Be careful!

Anyway, was 1:4 your ratio of spawn to substrate? That is a bit low, but can work in exceptionally-clean environments. 1:1 is much more conservative so will have a higher chance of succeeding, assuming the spawn is clean.

I've never used 100% coir as a sub, but I've found it to be fairly resistant to contamination when I've used it as a top dressing. Expect to lose some jars and trays, and just keep at it no matter what and watch how things go really closely and all of a sudden things 'click' one day and success become the norm and contamination rare. It took me over a year to get mushrooms popping up after I started trying to grow (with many, many hours of work wasted growing everything BUT mushrooms).

One thing that's great to have even if you're not growing fungi is a UV sterilizer light in your HVAC duct. My contamination rates dropped a lot after installing one. Ebay has them for good prices and are not hard to install (just need to drill two 1-inch diameter holes in your duct; I recommend the dual bulb models and try to get around 26 or more total watts, e.g., 2 13-watt bulbs or stronger works well for most dwellings but check for bulb prices since that's your main cost and pick a unit that has cheaper bulbs available).

They go just downstream of the A/C evaporator where the condensation forms so the light zaps any mold spores produced in the condensation pan as well as whatever is floating around in the air. I also had fewer sinus issues at night after installing it (no more waking up with a stuffy nose in an older house I used to live in). Change the bulbs once a year to maintain effectiveness.

• PJammer24, deepblueseawhale, Elenchus and 2 others like this

#8 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 631 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:43 PM

I remember mixing a big old mop bucket full of bleach and a floor cleaner with ammonia in it.

Must have been around fourteen or so working at a convenience store/ gas station. Of course it was in a small janitor closet in the back of the store

Luckily I was somewhat aware of what i had just done and ran out of the room after getting a small inhale. It was not pleasant.

FYI, that same job was the first and last time i tried to make homemade napalm..... Again a young dumb ass, I read somewhere that if you mix gasoline and styrofoam you have instant hillbilly napalm. Well lets see here got all the fixing's right here at work... i can just use this plastic ice cream pail to hold the gas while i wait for this foam to dissolve... poked it with a stick and realized it was a waste of three dollars worth of gas. Hmmm well how should i get rid of all this gas. Can't pour it down the drain... don't want to just dump it onto the gravel out back... I know let's burn it to see it if it looks any different than normal gasoline... Now I don't know if you have ever lit container of gasoline before. Let's just say a mug full of gasoline, it's not what you might expect. It just sort of calmly sits there and flames like a lake of fire

Que about four minutes later when the gasoline has started to simmer and boil and the plastic edge is melting down. Things are starting to look a whole lot more violent. When that boiling burning ice cream bucket fails it could spill everywhere. leading to what could be a large flaming fuel right into the side of the stucco building.. oh shit how do i stop this..

OH SHIT!

Grabbed the fire extinguisher and put that sucker out, booted it over away from the building.... fire crisis averted.. Well the jig is up no hiding it now i popped this fire extinguisher. I guessed I would get fired for it

I suck a keeping secrets so I just blurted it out and told my boss what I had done, she wanted to get mad but could not stop laughing. She was nice and covered for me, told the owner it was an accidental discharge... interestingly enough we would find out some years later that she was a huge fraud that was stealing thousands of dollars from the owners. Turned out she was the type that had multiple identities and had intentionally bounced a few cheque's if you know what i mean. I had no clue, she was always super nice to me

Edited by flashingrooster, 15 January 2020 - 03:49 PM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#9 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

I remember mixing a big old mop bucket full of bleach and a floor cleaner with ammonia in it.

You are very fortunate to have the luxury of being able to remember that. Scary stuff; that's not a pleasant way to die.

Your coworker who didn't snitch on you only kept quiet to ensure no one stumbled across the fraud she was committing. There's probably a lesson there about red flags to watch for when detecting scammers (such as someone helping us cover up our fuckups at work when there's no apparent reason why they would).

#10 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 631 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

It's one of the many times when I was younger that i was probably closer to death than one realizes. Stopping a car in a field before we slammed into a pivot trailer and impaled ourselves would be another one. Or the time I rolled my quad into a tree, if that tree was not there my quad would have looked like this 

[Direct Link]

In reagards to the fraud, she would always buy an obscene amount of stuff from that store too. Likely out of guilt for getting away with stealing for so long. I knew they were not a rich family. Who spends eighty dollars worth of grocery at seven eleven? That was definitely a red flag 

She even framed another co worker and got her fired when the cash was noticed missing the one time, helps when your the manager

Edited by flashingrooster, 17 January 2020 - 06:37 PM.

#11 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 374 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

Trich is the worst... Sorry that you lost your tub. A couple good pieces of advice have already been posted. I would retrace your steps if you keep a grow log at all, and try to find a point where your sterile procedure could have been better. Maybe during the spawn prep or spawn run, or try to deep clean the area where the tub will be beforehand. Always check all of your spawn very closely for signs of contamination before mixing with the substrate. A higher spawn ratio next time will colonize the sub faster and there will be less time for contamination to take a foot hold.

Coir is a good substrate in my experience, and is even better if you add vermiculite and gypsum. Once you are successful with this sub you can move on and experiment with subs that provide more nutrition. I've been experimenting with kelp meal recently! The more nutritious a substrate is, the more likely it is for problems to arise, so coir/verm is a good foundation for sure.

The most important thing IMO is trying to look back at where you think the problem came from and doing whatever you can to improve next time around. Losing a tub at this late stage is the worst, but as long as you learn something along the way it is not a complete loss!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!