• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:41 AM

Hello fellow growers I have one question.

I dunked my only cake 24 hours and I've put it in FC 13 days ago.... before 3 days only 4 pins showed up and they didn't grow more at all.

Any advices what to do? and the cake is started to blue on edge. 

Ty all peace

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:47 AM

Might be drying out, blueing is a sign of stress.. What kind of FC have you got?

• Maddmyco likes this

#3 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:55 AM

SGFC i've been growing them normally for past few months and now when I was on holiday I said to my granny to take care and maybe she didn't moist it well haha should i redunk it?

#4 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:02 AM

I have no idea man - SGFC and cakes I have no experience with. I have heard SGFC with a lot of holes does have a problem keeping humidity up and drying out cakes. Might want to adjust it for future endeavors.

#5 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

My humidity is always around 95% to full  they are not aborts because they aren't black if they dont grow in 2 days i'll celan it and redunk it

• onediadem likes this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

SGFCs are notoriously difficult to maintain humidity in. You can't trust a pet store hygrometer, it has to be one specifically rated for 100% rH environments (assuming you're checking the humidity with a small gauge or meter).

Bluing is definitely a sign of being too dry.

Pictures might help, but I suspect the air is too dry in the FC.

• onediadem and PJammer24 like this

#7 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:01 PM

I've put some water on the cake yesterday and i spray it every hour from now on and I just saw 10 little pins growing at the bottom ! :D 

I bought for 40 euros humidity and temperature meter 

I think my granny didn't do the job well while i was out of town haha

I'll post you pictures tomorrow when i get proper camera mine is broken....

I have 10 cakes and I see mycelium and right next to it it's all wet so I don't know is that contaminated or it's just wet i'll post pictures tomorrow

• onediadem likes this

#8 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:04 PM

So these are my jars that look like they are wet they are not black like contaminated they look wet just beside mycelium growing and this is the cake with little pins ao your oppinion guys?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200113_205249.jpg
  • 20200113_205442.jpg
  • 20200113_205226.jpg
  • 20200113_205121.jpg
  • 20200113_205245.jpg
  • 20200113_205149.jpg
  • 20200113_205107.jpg
  • 20200113_205045.jpg
  • 20200113_205506.jpg

#9 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 832 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

Contaminated..

#10 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:11 PM

Fuk my life no more spores if this pins don't grow bigger >.<

Should i throw away whole jars and where to dump them?

#11 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:48 PM

I concur. Contaminated.

160191-Danbo-748x421.jpg

• Cheebaman likes this

#12 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:06 AM

Where should I dispose them it's my first time contaminated?

And what about this one with pins ? should i leave it or should i clean it and redunk it?

#13 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:14 AM

Can I add water on top of cake? I see pins coming out and this is my last cake and i wanna take spore print from it and would like to try to heal my anxiety with that grow! 

Peace

#14 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:52 AM

The one with pins looks good. Carry on with what you're doing and you should get some fruits it and try get some prints. Other jars in the pics look contaminated but the one you're holding with the pins looks good. If you want to move away from your SGFC next round maybe try out a rez effect in some small tubs with large ziplock bags around them. You can cut out some small holes in them and tape them with micropore. It would be a step up in process as you would need to use your cakes as spawn to a bulk substrate which you would have to pasteurize. here's a link to an easy method you could use. https://www.youtube....h?v=KwuTe43droY

Basic process is as follows:

Make BRF cakes and PC/sterilize

Inoculate and wait until jars are 100%

Wait at least one week after 100% to consolidate

Prep fruiting containers (if clear plastic container use a piece of black plastic as a liner)

Prep bulk substrate as in video above

Grate (with a cheese grater) the cakes (this will be the spawn)

Mix the spawn and substrate at a 1:2 ration in your lined mini tub(s)

Cover with foil and poke a small hole in each corner and one in the middle

Leave the tubs to colonize to 100% (~10 days)

Remove tinfoil and place inside large ziplock bags with holes covered in micropore tape (you could use a variety of fruiting chamber options here but just make sure you can maintain a RH of 85 to 100%) 

There are some very good PF tek cake grows out there but although the process is quite 'noob friendly' in terms of low contamination rates I found that my yields from this process were lower than what I was wanting so I tried out the rez effect tek with a different fruiting chamber than the one I suggested (way too complex to be honest and the ziplock method is probably far easier and cheaper). 

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for!

• Cheebaman likes this

#15 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 223 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 04:56 AM

Can I add water on top of cake? I see pins coming out and this is my last cake and i wanna take spore print from it and would like to try to heal my anxiety with that grow! 

Peace

No I wouldn't add water to the top of your cake. You need humidity in your FC. If the humidity drops too much then the cake will dry out. It's hard to say without seeing a photo of your FC but if there are too many holes and the RH is dropping you can tape some holes up and then stick with the misting as necessary. You don't want to spray the cake directly while it's pinning so make sure the spray coming out the bottle is a fine mist. 

• Cheebaman likes this

#16 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

https://mycotopia.ne...this-jars-okay/

this was my first time growing cubes and i didn't use PC or glove box and not single on was contaminated out of 10 :D

I will try the bulk ,is it true that bulk spawn more shrooms?

Edited by Cheebaman, 14 January 2020 - 09:45 AM.

#17 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

And can someone tell me where to throw this jars ?? I don't want to contamine my neighborhood 

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

They can be pressure cooked again and cleaned out as soon as they cool off enough to handle. That way you don't have to buy more jars. Bury the stuff in a shallow hole or just toss it in the bushes. If you have to you could also bag it and toss in the garbage, but don't let it sit around inside your house if you do that.

I've used the same jars for many years, even ones that went bad. I'm still using 1/2 pint lids for my BRF jars that are over 10 years old that are badly scuffed up and a bit rusty, but they work fine since they don't need to seal and rust isn't a contaminant.

• Shroomn and Cheebaman like this

#19 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

I'll toss whole jars into a bag and public garbage at least the jars are cheap here ! :D  I wont risk getting contams in my house ! :D

#20 Cheebaman

Cheebaman

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:02 PM

So more pins are showing up , are these white dots on pins normal?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200116_175558.jpg

• joeya likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!