• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

My Melmak swabs came today! I made up 8 agar dishes last night using pasty whites no pour tek. I plan on using one swab tonight. Flame sterilizing some tweezers and trying to get a little spore covered cotton into each plate? I assume agar is my only choice using swabs? Saving the other swab in case I fucked up lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• onediadem, wharfrat, Moonless and 1 other like this

#2 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:25 PM

Update on my Melmak project. I made four plates, one contaminated the other three grew great. On the 31st of Jan I took one plate and did 4 transfers with it. The other two plates I cut into a tic tac toe pattern and dumped one plate per half gallon jar of grain. Grain is already starting to show growth in spots. I plan on taking another plate in the next few days and doing another few transfers and putting what's left to grain.

#3 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

What is mel mark? A psilocybe cubensis or other psilocybe variety? Or am I completely wrong and or are they medicinal of some species? Never heard of it before.

#4 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:52 PM

I found them on a Facebook spore swap group. Their a cube, supposably their a PE variant from before spore works. During the homestead book co era.. I don't know if there is any true to this or not. The pics I seen of the Melmak fruit though is huge and crazy looking. So I had to have some spores to try when I saw them lol. I paid twenty bucks for two swabs, as I guess they don't drop their spores well, even though their caps open fully. I can't wait to get them fruiting. I'll update when I have more to show!

#5 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

That's pretty interesting, I've read up on pe's history but was unaware of any variants other then the two crossbreed ape and pe6... hopefully your efforts work out and you get some fruits. It could potentially just be a relabelling of someone's pe culture rather then a crossbreed variant but who knows. Keep us posted :)
  • Stroker likes this

#6 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

Melmak coming along, a few more days and they will be ready. Half gal wide mouth jars, half white millet and half whole oats.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Jrotten and YoshiTrainer like this

#7 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:18 AM

Looks great! May I ask how do you get the cake out of the jar? 

Next time I will try with whole oats. My rye is always too clumpy.

#8 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

No cake, I just hit the jar against a roll of duct tape until it starts to break up then shake. Mix with coir in a mono tub or small shoe box.
  • FunG likes this

#9 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:25 PM

One jar went into a 27 quart tote yesterday with one brick of coir. Tried the layermix style this time around. Can't wait to see how these things do. The other jar should be ready in another day or two, I'll probably wait until the weekend to do the same with it.

#10 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

One jar went into a 27 quart tote yesterday with one brick of coir. Tried the layermix style this time around. Can't wait to see how these things do. The other jar should be ready in another day or two, I'll probably wait until the weekend to do the same with it.

erybody be laymixin!!!! Sheeeiiit
  • Stroker likes this

#11 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

Think it was you DocOct that I saw post something about it. Figured why not give it a try!

#12 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:03 AM

Make sure to give plenty of time for consolidation, do not disturb and cause early pinning as well.
  • Stroker likes this

#13 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

Should start seeing pins any day now!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• FunG and YoshiTrainer like this

#14 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

Started seeing pins on Saturday, their taking a lot longer than the Acadian coast and RBX's. Pics today.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Coopdog, Ronald Ray Gun, FunG and 3 others like this

#15 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:07 AM

He'll yeah stroker great job.
  • Stroker likes this

#16 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 07:20 PM

Harvest day!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Coopdog, FunG and YoshiTrainer like this

#17 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

Asides from a little bit of what looks like "blotch" on the caps that looms like a great tub of fun
  • Stroker likes this

#18 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 10:52 PM

Asides from a little bit of what looks like "blotch" on the caps that looms like a great tub of fun

Thanks!, they didn't look like that yesterday. I was wondering if I picked just a bit late?, or what's the cause of it?

#19 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 11:13 PM

Bacteria causes it. You can isolate myc away from it with agar, but I'm not 100% that's whay that us. Others with more exp may know more.

Edited by Fungi2b, 13 March 2020 - 11:23 PM.

#20 Jrotten

Jrotten

Bedazzled and Bewildered

• Free Member
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:41 AM

It looks maybe like “bacterial blotch” which is caused by a bacteria that is basically everywhere and survives pasteurization. It shows when the bacteria multiply excessively on the fruits. Warmer wetter temperatures cause the bacteria to explode especially if the surface of the mushrooms never gets a chance to dry from misting and fogging etc, or where fruits touch each other or the sides of the tub etc. It’s completely safe to eat, can be controlled in future flushes, but also seems to help create thicker flushes. It causes marks, spots and weird caps sometimes.

I can’t say that’s what you see in your grow, but I had two recent threads that both wound up relating to it with pictures.

https://mycotopia.ne...h/#entry1444835
  • Stroker likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!