11 replies to this topic

#1 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:36 PM

Hi Folks,

I have two partially consumed spore syringes, each with about 5 ml left.  Is it acceptable practice to try and inoculate more BRF cakes with them?  Or, are they likely contaminated, and I should use a fresh syringe?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, my searches came up empty.  I really appreciate your time and help.

#2 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

How long have they been out?
I wouldn't risk it, but I'd wait for a second opinion
  • Moonless and CentralLimit like this

#3 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure if I follow your question, but, they have been refrigerated since I got them, each one was out on the counter for a brief time while I inoculated a series of brf jars.  Otherwise, they look okay to me, fwiw.   I was thinking about inoculating some jars just to learn if it was possible, but, if it's doomed to failure I will probably not do it.

• TabbyBoy likes this

#4 TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

I am not sure if I follow your question, but, they have been refrigerated since I got them, each one was out on the counter for a brief time while I inoculated a series of brf jars. Otherwise, they look okay to me, fwiw. I was thinking about inoculating some jars just to learn if it was possible, but, if it's doomed to failure I will probably not do it.
How long has it been since you inoculated the first bit.

#5 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:04 PM

Ah, sorry, of course.  First was 4-5 weeks ago.  The other was 4 days ago. 

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,977 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:06 PM

I use 60cc syringes, so I always end up using them over the course of several grows until they're empty. I've used spores from syringes that I'd made over a year earlier (and had already used all but the last few cc's of) without a problem.

As long as you have not drawn any unfiltered air into them they should be fine for as long as the spores remain viable.

• wharfrat, Salem and CentralLimit like this

#7 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:13 PM

Great, that's good enough for me.  Thank you both.

• TVCasualty likes this

#8 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

I would flame sterilize the needle before inoculation, but you should be good to go!

• TVCasualty, wharfrat and CentralLimit like this

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,791 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

What's the worse that could happen if you did noc a couple of BRF cakes with half empty syringes? Perhaps if you used half full syringe you would have better results? Either way if you tried it and succeeded to have good cakes or the cakes failed, wouldn't that be better than not trying out all? I have feeling that a couple of pints of rice and verm lost would not set you back to much vs the sake of knowing for yourself.

• sandman, Moonless and CentralLimit like this

#10 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 382 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:04 PM

^

And save a CC and try out a liquid culture, great way to skip germination if you are successful and keep you going for a long time without purchasing more syringes.

• CentralLimit likes this

#11 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

I use half empty syringes everytime I start new grain spawn masters.

If they're capped and stored properly they'll stay clean and viable for a very long Time. If you also practice good sterility and storage habits then you can even make diluted syringes by sucking up distilled/pressure cooked water and thus expanding on the solution....the darker the syringe the more times you can expand on it just be careful not to draw up any contaminates (outside air) while refilling the syringe.

And now you know and knowing is half the battle :)

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,810 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

If it was me and they are different strains, I would not mix them in the same cake... That's just me though... You will still get mushrooms when mixing.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!