Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Simply Determine if Contaminated with Microscope?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:19 PM

Hey all, sorry if this is below your level, but I believe this is the right forum for this post. 

Can I simply determine if I have a viable or contam strain with my microscope (basic compound digital - if it matters) vs. noc'n a jar or agar and waiting?

Attached samples from last night.  Realize I am coming at this from a high level, just trying to understand if microscopy is a valid method of determining viability more quickly.  Happy to dig in deeper and document / track / analyze measurable results if helpful.

healthydunno.jpg nothealthy.jpg reallynothealthy.jpg

All Blue Oyster

• PJammer24 likes this

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Hippiecritical

• App Administrator
  • 6,775 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:19 AM

Microscopy is absolutely better that waiting for something colorful or smelly to determine if you’re growing the desired organism. Just like eyeballing a sub or taking a whiff of a jar to learn what it looks like or smells like lol. You will most definitely learn what contaminants or the desired fungi looks like highly magnified. You will be able to see uncontaminated cells divide surely before the cells of the contamination divide. Especially once you learn what stains work best for viewing the different proteins. Microscope are so cool!
  • PJammer24 and Shroomn like this

#3 Shroomn

Shroomn

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

This is fantastic news.  Would appreciate any recommendations for post, publications, etc. to educate. Sure I can get there, but initial searches producing limited helpful results.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!