5 replies to this topic

#1 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:38 AM

Hey guys,

I have this shiitake tray that I want to start fruiting. However it has some contaminations I didn't notice.

I do not want to subject myself to much to indoor contact with contams. Outdoors is cold (7 centigrade) and wet (no snow).

Can I just scrap this off and go ahead an go indoor? ac3094eeedcbbd082d023c0311c97199.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

Contaminated trays need to be quarantined or dumped outside. When we quarantine a tray it is usually because we have reasonable suspicion that we can get a few fruits out of it or a chance the myc can overrun the contam, IE a tiny patch of contam the size of a pin prick. However the grows we quarantine are usually dumped outside soon because you really don't want mold in your growing space and mold spores can get room to room and all over you.

When you dump outside you can burry to have a chance of getting fruits in the future. Alternatively you can compost.

Please check online if this is actually contamed since shitake is said to brown a lot, and people have often mistaken this natural browning for contam.

Edit:I see it now, that green patch on the foil, right? If thats what I think it is it needs to go outside.

Edited by Moonless, 18 January 2020 - 04:45 PM.

• onediadem and UnHeisenbug like this

#3 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:22 AM

Contaminated trays need to be quarantined or dumped outside. When we quarantine a tray it is usually because we have reasonable suspicion that we can get a few fruits out of it or a chance the myc can overrun the contam, IE a tiny patch of contam the size of a pin prick. However the grows we quarantine are usually dumped outside soon because you really don't want mold in your growing space and mold spores can get room to room and all over you.

When you dump outside you can burry to have a chance of getting fruits in the future. Alternatively you can compost.

Please check online if this is actually contamed since shitake is said to brown a lot, and people have often mistaken this natural browning for contam.

Edit:I see it now, that green patch on the foil, right? If thats what I think it is it needs to go outside.

Yes, you are correct that is a green contaminate on the tray.

Do you have any recommendations on how to bury the tray? It's quite healthy looking besides the contam.
  • Moonless likes this

#4 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:58 AM

Yes, you are correct that is a green contaminate on the tray.

Do you have any recommendations on how to bury the tray? It's quite healthy looking besides the contam.

My only advice is to do it carefully. Spore will get everywhere if you move it uncovered so you might want to cover the whole thing in a trash bag idk.

If you have a nice private area that gets alot of sun, I would first sun tan the tub. The intense UV light from the sun can destroy the common house molds but the shitake can withstand it. Once thats done you might consider digging a hole and burrying it or doing a TV casuality Wet towel tek.

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,107 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:14 AM

I wouldn't bury that. The rules and guidelines vary slightly from psilocybes and gourmet mushroom cultivation. It just happens that the psilocybes are talked about a lot more here and the info carries over sometimes. With psilocybes, a spot of green mold usually indicates that the grow has been compromised and is done. A typical dunglover psilocybe life cycle from the hippy's closet is relatively fast compared to a shiitake block or even woodlover psilocybes, lasting about two months from start to finish on average. Once established, woodlover species are very tough and robust. Their lifecycle last seasons and sometimes years rather than months. If you can keep the conditions right for that shiitake block it will stay healthy and most likely heal from the green mold infection. In fact by exposing it fruiting conditions  with the additional fresh air will make it less hospitable for the green mold to thrive. You can remove the spot of mold to mitigate the exposure to your other indoor projects if that is a concern.

I would totally suggest that you continue to fruit that block. If it were mine, after removing the mold I would soak the block overnight then wait for the mushrooms to grow. it defineltly looks ready to fruit with that brown crusting.

• Moonless likes this

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

Mikey, What about the risk of contaminating other grows? Would OP still have to quarentine the grow or is putting the black back in an FC with other blocks appropriate after removing the mold?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!