• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lefty_lefterson

lefty_lefterson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:33 PM

Im lookin for a big strain that will give me max yield when I do deep bulk bins. Ive been growing Hawaiians with like 15 inch deep substrate and the shrooms seem to be maxed out sizewise. Is there a strain that will give me even bigger monster shrooms?
What are some big strains and what are the max bulk sub depth for the particular strains to get them as big as genetically possible?

I dont want to grow in many bins with shallow substrate. I would rather have monster shrooms with less overall yield just because Im not a dealer and I like big shrooms.

#2 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

I hear SA's can produce some monsters.

#3 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:45 PM

ORISSA INDIA!

#4 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:53 PM

The B+ strain is commonly described as a 'large fruit producer'

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 04:58 PM

Check out Thehawkseye.com for Orissa India's. He's got some nice pics that drew me to try them out. So far my only complaint is, they're a slow colonizer. Not too bad, but not average.

#6 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:04 PM

A 15" deep substrate is far more likely to go anerobic and contaminate then it is to deliver large fruits. Check out the laundry basket or straw log tek for very large fruits.

#7 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:13 PM

B+ do get huge, but IME they often have hollow stems, and weigh about as much as texas shrooms less than half their size. This may vary by substrain, though.

I'd go with South Americans or Texans - texans often look smaller but they are denser. foaf recently harvested two casings, one of B+ and one of texas. The B+ were all about 4 to 5 inches tall and the Texas were only an inch or two tall. The strange thing was that even though the B+ looked like a LOT more it actually turned out to be way less than the flush of texans. Both casings were the same size (3" by 7") - the B+ flush weighed 160 grams fresh and the Texas flush weighed 210 grams fresh. Plus the texans lose slightly less weight when they dry.

#8 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:21 PM

Koh Samui's are rocks too. Well the SS strain anyway. Man those little bastards dry and look the same way they did off the sub.

#9 lefty_lefterson

lefty_lefterson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:48 PM

Yeah Rodger
I said bins but Im actually growing in laundry baskets.

#10 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:50 PM

so 15" tall laundry baskets? got any pics?

Im lookin for a big strain that will give me max yield when I do deep bulk bins. Ive been growing Hawaiians with like 15 inch deep substrate.

#11 bdog007

bdog007

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

try golden teacher

#12 lefty_lefterson

lefty_lefterson

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

No pics
The basket is taller that 15" I just filled it up 15"

#13 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

I have to agree with the orissa. I had a batch sit with no air exchange other than an ill-fitting lid for 3 1/2 weeks and came home to meaty fruits one up to 9" tall off of 1/2 pint cakes

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:42 PM

a good isolated substrain of b+
should be just the ticket.

#15 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:44 PM

I have never managed to have good luck with big B+, I always get decent results but neverany bigger than average fruits

#16 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

b+ has a reputation for being a large fruit producer. but imo it has a lot to do with how your growing also. ive seen many strains grow small on cakes and huge with straw or dung. unless you are isolating or doing agar work, its kind of a crap shoot no matter what strain you pick.

good luck

#17 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:33 PM

when my B+ were small they made up for it with nice clusters and good numbers so I never had a less than average weight

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!