• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:12 PM

So i have an idea, i made a mush cabinet and i am adding 2 computer fans(on a rheostat) on the bottom of the cabinet. That in conjunction with vent holes at the top of the cabinet i'm trying to circulate air flow through the space to control heat and also just fresh air in the space.  So i drew up this VERY CRUDE sketch but i'm sure people will get the idea.

I want to add a UV-C light above the fan on the intake side to kill anything as the air is being sucked in to the space, there will be some sort hood above the fans to shield the light from people/animals.  Also want to add this cabinet is in my basement another reason for the idea.

[attachment=1174946:b1e12621babd91e3468cb2be10b87ca2.jpg]

#2 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

for what purpose is this

#3 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,815 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:39 AM

Looks like a modification of an existing type of design used for HVAC applications. 

While the UV light will kill mold and bacteria - it has no effect on particles like dust, dander, hairs and fibers. (All of which can harbor mold and bacteria within the confines of their particle mass.)

The UV lamps are a bit on the expensive side and the lamp driver (ballast) will need periodic replacement as well. 

• sandman, TVCasualty and Choices like this

#4 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

I suggested buying and installing a UV system in your HVAC duct, which is pretty straightforward when installed as designed.

For building your own custom setup involving UV-C you need to know all the warnings and precautions to take when using it, including ensuring you're not exposed to the light it produces. It will also degrade plastic fairly quickly.

Also, the air exposed to it needs to be filtered as well as possible (HEPA is best) since like Myc pointed out dust particles can protect mold spores and such by shading them from the UV light.

It is definitely not a cure-all for contamination problems, but it can certainly help so long as the basics of tissue culture are also maintained (such being as clean as possible in general and filtering the air before irradiating it). Those other things (and good technique) are much more important to dial-in first. I grew for about a decade before I bought a UV light, and most people have never used one so you really don't require one to grow and if you do get one I'd suggest you just install it in your central HVAC system and leave it at that for now.

• Choices likes this

#5 FunG

FunG

certified something

• Banned Member
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

From my understanding a uvc light will cause damage to the cardiacs of your eyes if exposed to it.

I had germicidal lamp that I purchased for $350. It worked wonders on a trich infested wall to wall carpeted room.

Edited by FunG, 28 January 2020 - 02:39 PM.

• Choices likes this

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,853 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:26 PM

you are well past having to post in the 'welcome mat'  moving this post into 'here we grow'  :biggrin:

• Myc and Choices like this

#7 CentralLimit

CentralLimit

Mycophiliac

• Black VIP
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

Neat idea.  It is new to me, but I would guess that you need a way to increase the residence time of the air under the lamp or something?  You have a rheostat, but by chance have you considered the air path itself relative to the light at all?  I am just curious at what lamp wattage and air velocity / volume a setup would need to have significant efficacy.  Not at all criticizing, just pondering.  Maybe I should google HVAC units.

Godspeed.

• Choices likes this

#8 sandman

sandman

Saint PP

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,133 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 11:21 AM

It's a total waste of time to try and invent some kind of UVC filtered air box that probably isn't going to work anyway when there are several simple and proven solutions available for filtered or still air work. There are health/safety concerns on top of the monumental task of making sure the air is getting enough uvc on top of the dust problem already mentioned. Just turn a tub with 2 arm holes upside down on a table for a still air box. Or build a flow hood. Some laminar flow hoods will come with a uv-c light that is used to sanitize the work surface area only. They are not used for air sterilization in those instances.

Edited by sandman, 29 January 2020 - 11:23 AM.

• Choices likes this

#9 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

So this cabinet is just a cabinet to incubate stuff? I assume you have filters on jars and stuff. If you think the basement isn't a good idea to have that stuff going because of possible contaminants, perhaps you should move it elsewhere. I'm not sure.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 29 January 2020 - 05:08 PM.

• Choices likes this

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,786 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

FWIW, the HVAC units installed in ducts in accordance to the instructions are designed to kill 99% of airborne contaminants on a single pass so long as the air is filtered of large particles and the bulbs and ballast are sized properly for the air flow and volume of the system they're installed in.

I did a LOT of research before I began messing with it. It is not to be taken lightly, so to speak.

The bulb/ballast combos for HVAC use are sized to compensate for the gradually diminishing output of UV-C that happens over time, so are factored into the bulb life ratings. But unless the bulbs are replaced annually (the exact schedule depends on actual hours of use) then they will become completely ineffective. And sizing for a custom build is not straightforward whereas HVAC specs are fairly standard and fall within a typical range of air volume and flow rate that the UV systems are specifically designed for.

IMO one way to look at UV-C in the context of mycology is thinking of it like a motion-sensing floodlight in the context of security. That is, it will add an additional layer of security to your property that might make a difference in some cases, but by itself it won't secure squat because to do that you'll still have to close and lock your gates on your fences and lock your doors and windows and all the rest before worrying about stuff like motion sensing lights.

A UV light is definitely not a magic bullet or miracle cure to contamination problems. But having one in my HVAC system has proven very beneficial to me over the years, so I'm still a fan and still keep one running.

If you really want to take cleanliness to the next level, get a commercial-duty high-pressure dry steam cleaner. Mine produces 65 PSI dry steam, which makes short work of pretty much anything organic and can sanitize the micro-scratches and pores found on even the smoothest surfaces and that liquid sanitizers cannot penetrate. Given a choice between having UV lights or a steam cleaner, I'd pick the steam cleaner without hesitation.

I did not intend to complicate the process of mastering mushroom growing, which is why all I was suggesting was installing a UV duct light in your HVAC system.

• Choices likes this

#11 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:15 AM

when writing about cleaning the air, did anybody try forcing it through smaller water tank, so as the bubbles move through water they are being cleansed and enriched with humidity? There are those things in aquariums that produce small bubbles for fish. Some od the O2 is lost in the water, but if enough salt is in the water and there is no fish tu use O2, I guess water will get saturated with O2 soon so most of it will go through water and out, and salt (or something similar) will help with cleaning the air and water??  Another thing with this is that it is possible to heat the water to a desired temp so the air would heat as well

... have been playing with the idea for a while, but never did anything about ... did anyone?

Edited by Aur, 31 January 2020 - 06:16 AM.

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,599 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Seems like more effort than its worth...

If you are planning to proceed with this, I would have the intake as high from the ground as possible... Most of the dust and spores in a room can be found within 3 feet of the floor. Your air supply will be drawn from the room's air with the highest concentration of contaminates... I would want to intake from the top and exhaust from the bottom if I were to attempt anything similar to this...

• Aur and Choices like this

#13 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

Yea it was just a creative thought type thing. My sophomoric egotistical thoughts. It truly is the KISS basis of humanity don’t over complicate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • sandman likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!