#21 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for diving in and trying it out. How would bran increase yields? Again I hope you'll post your trials here or maybe we could start a communal thread to invite the other brewers we may have on the forums.

#22 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

Thank you for diving in and trying it out. How would bran increase yields? Again I hope you'll post your trials here or maybe we could start a communal thread to invite the other brewers we may have on the forums.

Here's a pretty good article on the how and why of wheat bran, rice bran, etc.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3730944/

Given that the purpose of the mash is to leach out as much available nutrition as possible, it is my hypothesis that the spent mash is largely just fiber without much else remaining (much like sawdust).

I'll try to figure out how to transfer photos but so far it has been a challenge after switching to Linux as an operating system. If need be I can use the old windoz OS and get some pics of the process.

Edited by Myc, 07 February 2020 - 03:43 PM.

#23 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:00 PM

Are you trying to transfer photos from windows to linux?

#24 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:48 PM

No, I have a dual-boot operating system. I tend to boot on one side or the other (Linux vs windoz). I'll get it figured out sooner or later.

#25 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:52 PM

I just finished prepping some bags.

50/50 Brewer's Spent Grains (BSG) / dry vermiculite

50/50 BSG / verm. / wheat bran

50/25/25 BSG / verm / sawdust

50/25/25 BSG / verm / sawdust / wheat bran

The wheat bran supplementation is one cup of dry wheat bran added to 8 cups of substrate material loaded into a gusseted filter-patch bag.

I made transfers from live tissue onto sterilized Rye Grass Seed yesterday so I expect to have some colonized spawn ready to go within the next 5-7 days.

• pastyoureyes and YoshiTrainer like this

#26 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:40 PM

The paper you linked to states best yields are achieved with 25% Wheat bran and best quality was with 40% wheat bran supplementation. Is there any reason you went with 50% or am I reading your ratios incorrectly?

You state 1 cup to 8 cups substrate so maybe you aren't including wheat bran in the original mixture ratio.

If so isn't that a much lower rate than used in the paper?

So you are just adding the wheat bran the same way as the vermiculite just dump it in dry no hydration? When you first suggested the supplementation I was hoping this would be possible to make it more convenient.

Look forward to seeing the results.

#27 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 02:42 PM

I was thinking about this tek, I wonder if drying the used grains in a low oven a little before using would allow higher grain to verm %?

The experiment sounds great Myc! Are you just doing oysters or some others?

I'd be curious how the Munich dunkel turns out too.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 08 February 2020 - 02:44 PM.

#28 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:48 PM

The paper you linked to states best yields are achieved with 25% Wheat bran and best quality was with 40% wheat bran supplementation. Is there any reason you went with 50% or am I reading your ratios incorrectly?

You state 1 cup to 8 cups substrate so maybe you aren't including wheat bran in the original mixture ratio.

If so isn't that a much lower rate than used in the paper?

So you are just adding the wheat bran the same way as the vermiculite just dump it in dry no hydration? When you first suggested the supplementation I was hoping this would be possible to make it more convenient.

Look forward to seeing the results.

I'll write this up better if everything works out. Didn't want to get too invested in describing the process accurately until I can find out if it works or not.

4 cups of wet Brewer's Spent Grains

4 cups of bone-dry vermiculite

then

1 cup of bone-dry wheat bran

Mix thoroughly

PC for 1hr 20 minutes @15 psi.

When I say "wet" BSG - I mean that it did not drip-dry. It was raked out of a mash/lauter tun into a 55-gallon food-safe drum. I scooped some off of the top of a barrel full and set it off to the side. Kept it in a cold garage for a couple of days until I had time to process the material. I don't recommend this strategy during summer temperatures or you'll grow some serious mold. For me, I can use the refrigerated walk-in serving cooler for storage during hotter months.

Yes, the supplementation is less than that described in the paper. Adding more wheat bran increases the potential for contamination - higher nitrogen content in the mix.

You can always add more but you can't take it out once added. The paper did not immediately arrive at 40% - they had to do a few tests and perform some analysis. Notice also that they were raising shiitake - a primary decomposer (aka - woodlover) ----- Oysters will eat basically anything and can thrive on poor substrates. Why not see how adding some cheap food (wheat bran) might increase yields? We have nothing to loose but a little free grain, some cheap vermiculite, cheap wheat bran,.....and a little time goofing-off. I made side-by-side substrates - one with and one without wheat bran - for analysis and comparison of yields.

Edited by Myc, 08 February 2020 - 03:54 PM.

#29 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:03 PM

@Myc
Cool that are doing side by side trials. I am using 2 hour sterilization.

We still have the bulk sub bridge to cross too.

I was thinking about this tek, I wonder if drying the used grains in a low oven a little before using would allow higher grain to verm %?
The experiment sounds great Myc! Are you just doing oysters or some others?
I'd be curious how the Munich dunkel turns out too.

You at the very least are creating more work for yourself.

If you lower the verm at some point you will have something that is not airy enough for the myc to colonize.

#30 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:21 PM

I doubt you'll be able to use this material in the lab for bulk work unless you're capable of sterilizing large batches.

Exposed grains are an invitation to competitor organisms.

However, you might be able to get away with composting this material and using it as a good substrate. Alfalfa hay, oat straw, wheat straw, - and BSG should set the process off nicely. You'll have a rich compost for secondary decomposers like those featured in your photographs (or oysters will eat it up too).

#31 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:23 PM

You think already colonized grain will be at risk for contamination?

#32 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

You think already colonized grain will be at risk for contamination?

I guess I had better understand your definition of "bulk".

#33 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:33 PM

A manure/coir based substrate is what i was referring to.

#34 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

I knew the second flush was going to do this, side pins all over. The only options i have available at the moment are to let it fruit as is in the bag or toss it into a 6 qt dubtub.

gallery_150062_1732_1180091.jpg
  • Myc likes this

#35 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

I almost forgot about my little cake holder fruiting chambers. Since i got a ton of side pins in the bag I decided to fruit the next flush in one.

gallery_150062_1732_1042853.jpg

Hoping to see this little block explode.
gallery_150062_1732_1142718.jpg
  • Myc and YoshiTrainer like this

#36 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:31 PM

gallery_150062_1732_594223.jpg

gallery_150062_1732_266962.jpg
  • Myc and YoshiTrainer like this

#37 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,964 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:18 PM

I think you've done the right thing with that culture in taking it our of the bag.

After all, it's a giant PF Tek cake right?

Perch it on a bed of lightly hydrated vermiculite. That will help regulate the puddle underneath. It may be a tiny bit messy but worth the effort. Maybe a pie plate with some verm? Easy enough.

Thanks for sharing. ;)

• pastyoureyes likes this

#38 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:28 AM

Good suggestions. I wiped up the little puddle and have been mosting far more sparingly. At this point i dont want to disrupt it while it does its thing.

I'm not getting great results fruiting in bags. I'll stick to dubtubs for now.

That block is essentially a PF cake. Cool that i can fruit it as is. This flush is really going to test how many fruits the block can support. There are so many little mushrooms it'll be a great yield if they all mature.

The first flush was not dunked and the bag was pretty dry after colonization. Perhaps that is why it had a small first flush.
  • Myc likes this

#39 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:58 PM

gallery_150062_1732_1062356.jpg

#40 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer