#41 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:01 AM

I harvested as the caps were opening. They didn't get much bigger than the last pic. Roughly 12g yield.
  • Myc and YoshiTrainer like this

#42 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

Think i should toss it or go for another flush?

#43 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

I would dunk and see how far it goes.

#44 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

I gave the cake a shower with the sink sprayer, then a bleach dunk for about 15 min. 1:200 followed by a dunk in cold water overnight in the fridge.
  • Myc and YoshiTrainer like this

#45 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

I have prepped bags and am just waiting for the rye grass seed to colonize.

Once that happens I'll post up some progress photos.

• pastyoureyes and YoshiTrainer like this

#46 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:38 PM

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

#47 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

3rd flush imminent
gallery_150062_1732_265784.jpg

#48 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

3rd flush again produced lots of small fruits. Started showing signs of vert so it's getting tossed. I probably didn't fan it enough during the last flush. That's the end of this experiment. I'd call it a success, there is room for improvement either as @myc suggested by supplementing with bran or my initial plan to spawn to a bulk substrate or both. My fruiting conditions during this experiment were less than ideal so there's room for improvement there as well. Overall I find the results encouraging and hope other homebrewers are inspired to try their own experiments.

I will post future experiments here once the weather warms up and I start brewing again.
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#49 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:11 PM

Just dropping by for a brief report.

Oyster mushrooms were transferred to the substrate bags on 2/28 and they are RIPPING through the substrate! Colonization speed is pretty astounding!!!

Also, Lion's Mane was transferred on the same day - and seems to be colonizing very well and quite rapidly also. The mycelium is a little thinner but the growth is obvious. At this time I see no difference between the bags supplemented with bran. Colonization speeds seem to be equal. Evaluation of the final yield will tell the tale - whether it's worth the risk or not.

So far, there are 4 experimental bags in the works - all of which are successfully colonizing.

Will make a write-up as things progress.

Didn't want you to think I had forgotten about this thread. ;)

#50 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:27 AM

Awesome to hear! Glad you are keeping this thread alive while I wait to begin brewing again.

#51 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:16 AM

Just a quick update on this project. 

I expanded two of the experimental bags of mash - into 6 more larger bags - by using them as spawn.

Today I have pins. 

Time to get the greenhouse set up. I'm about to be swimming in Mediterranean oysters. 

I'm also going to take a moment to plug https://everythingmushrooms.com/

Great service, fast shipping, and clean culture at a reasonable price. 

#52 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 02:36 AM

Just the other day I was wondering if you'd be posting an update. Hopefully you will be able to share some photos with us very soon.

Did you spawn to a bulk substrate?

Edited by pastyoureyes, 02 April 2020 - 02:36 AM.

#53 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

I just kept spawning to more sterilized brewer's spent mash but you have a great idea there. 

These blocks would work perfectly as spawn for "laundry basket" style bulk. 

I don't have any straw to prep so I'm just going to fruit straight from the bags. There are six bags in total spawned from the original two. 

Lion's mane is not performing well on this substrate. It is colonizing - but very slowly. Oysters rip through this substrate like it's candy. 

We're going to do a small-batch brew today so I'll be able to grab some more mash if everything goes according to plan. This pandemic bullshit has really put a kink in the beer scene.

Will work to get some photos of prep and such on this round since I'm confident that this is a viable procedure. 

#54 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:33 PM

So today I got busy and set up the fungal greenhouse again. This thing hasn't been in service for some time - except as shelves for junk. Three of the bags are pinning madly and fruiting invitro. I have cut "X's" in all of the pinning locations and put them in the greenhouse which is humidified by an ultrasonic pond fog making apparatus on a timer. At this time, Fresh Air Exchange will be up to me by opening the tent.

I'm pretty sure the addition of wheat bran accelerated pin production given that I made six bags in total.

3 bags were spawned with one of the original bran supplemented substrates.

3 bags were spawned with the other bag which lacked supplementation of bran. This culture also took longer to completely colonize the substrate. One of the bags developed contamination but the oyster mycelium is keeping it in check and localized.

In all, I recommend the supplementing of the substrate with wheat bran or rice bran for faster colonization and more rapid fruit production. This type of block - is perfect for inoculation of a laundry basket full of pasteurized straw.

Still dragging my feet on pics until I see some actual results - but things look good.

#55 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,042 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2020 - 05:20 PM

And I never could figure out how to upload photos with Linux. So I logged on with the win-doze system and used a familiar uploader.

Here are some photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200404_153507 - Copy.jpg
  • 20200404_153519 - Copy.jpg
  • 20200404_153528 - Copy.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!