• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Funguy69

Funguy69

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

Hello fellow denizens. I am currently growing pearl oyster mushrooms BRF style, but with a mix of woodchips/sawdust/gypsum in the jars. They were inoculated with a Liquid culture I made from a multi-spore syringe approx. 1 month ago. They are almost completely colonized, and I'm beginning to worry that my lack of experience with the strain will keep me from fruiting them effectively. Do oyster mushroom cakes show pins through the glass of the jar to indicate they should be birthed like cubensis? Any tips in general about wood-loving mushrooms would be very welcome. 

• PJammer24 and wharfrat like this

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:01 PM

Hello fellow denizens. I am currently growing pearl oyster mushrooms BRF style, but with a mix of woodchips/sawdust/gypsum in the jars. They were inoculated with a Liquid culture I made from a multi-spore syringe approx. 1 month ago. They are almost completely colonized, and I'm beginning to worry that my lack of experience with the strain will keep me from fruiting them effectively. Do oyster mushroom cakes show pins through the glass of the jar to indicate they should be birthed like cubensis? Any tips in general about wood-loving mushrooms would be very welcome. 

Don't worry about being a noob, weve all got to start somewhere. These are good for practice. Once its fully colonized it is ready to birth. Oysters need lots of airflow, humidity and their proper temperature. When you give them what they need they will grow well. I have seen people grow grand harvest of oysters by leaving it out in their home, and spraying a few times a day.

Since you are doing jars you might want to put them in some sort of plastic tote as a fruiting chamber.

Edited by Moonless, 04 February 2020 - 06:02 PM.

• PJammer24, wharfrat and Funguy69 like this

#3 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 15,825 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:31 AM

They are fresh air hogs. It would be good to use  a deep perlite layer and leave the lid cracked. Fan and mist often. Even with this route, they will be leggy. The do their ultimate best in an automated set up, or outdoors. They will still be yummalicious no matter how leggy they get! Good to see another topiate interested in edibles! Welcome!

• PJammer24 and Funguy69 like this

#4 Funguy69

Funguy69

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:08 PM

Really great tips guys thank you so much. I'm going to experiment with leaving some of the cakes out in the lab on a deep layer perlite, and then put others in a bin with the lid cracked. 

#5 Funguy69

Funguy69

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:14 PM

They are fresh air hogs. It would be good to use  a deep perlite layer and leave the lid cracked. Fan and mist often. Even with this route, they will be leggy. The do their ultimate best in an automated set up, or outdoors. They will still be yummalicious no matter how leggy they get! Good to see another topiate interested in edibles! Welcome!

Firstly thank you for your tips and feedback. Would you have any recommendations for other gourmet mushroom strains to grow next that you have success with? I love my Psilosybe Cubensis but I'm very interested in expanding my growing to other effective strains.

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

Firstly thank you for your tips and feedback. Would you have any recommendations for other gourmet mushroom strains to grow next that you have success with? I love my Psilosybe Cubensis but I'm very interested in expanding my growing to other effective strains.

Golden oyster was my first start. It was fairly easy to cultivate and enjoyed the temperature that cubes grow at.

Pink oyster, and phoenix oyster are great warm temperature loving mushrooms.

If you are doing oysters I recommend getting one of these small usb fans and putting it on some sort of timer or schedule. 5 times a day for 5 minutes.

The easiest mushroom for me to cultivate besides cubes was reishi.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!