• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:42 PM

So it’s been 2 years since if done any mycology.

That being said I’m currently working on a few projects.

This is one of my colonized GT subs that I moved into my quarantine/finishing room. I’m not sure what’s going on but I think I have an idea
f4a819947f407f7dea95c6c5b3d38f12.jpg
7f041472875e173490b3e6ce8a9041d4.jpg
1a9fad26b1467405c6c4bc0059e05cb5.jpg8708260377e0ebd2457a485b2ad44df6.jpg

I’ve never dealt with this befor and have no idea how to proceed, it’s staying in the sterilized nasty box for now, and on the opposite side of the house far away from the clean room. I just don’t know if I should eradicate this thing or let it do its thing.

I might just be weird metabolite excretions I just don’t know, I’ve never seen this before.

Any info or advice would be strongly welcomed.

Btw this thing just started pinning1627ca4fe88ec2face11395928cf8479.jpg

#2 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:07 AM

Looks like condensation to me, happens on my substrates all the time during knotting, it's not a contam, you're safe.

#3 sandman

sandman

Lil Skeeter

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,747 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

There isn't anything you can do except let it run. It (obviously) looks really wet. Is there any kind of holes in that tub? The darker droplets are definitely a sign of possible wet bubble but it could maybe at this point just be condensation that stewed in the manure and got dark from that. 

Edited by sandman, 03 February 2020 - 08:39 AM.

#4 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

Those are metabolites

#5 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

There isn't anything you can do except let it run. It (obviously) looks really wet. Is there any kind of holes in that tub? The darker droplets are definitely a sign of possible wet bubble but it could maybe at this point just be condensation that stewed in the manure and got dark from that.

it was in a bag with holes and polyfill, so thats why there is so much condensation.

The substraight is coco coir and earthworm castings.

It’s very separated so I’ll probably crack the lid so it can get some fae and just let it fruit, if it gets more of that wet bubble look I’ll probably eradicate it.

It’s defiantly pinning though I just don’t want this to become a systemic problem like vert was at my last place.

2804687f317c519162c613e927dd7c3b.jpg70ca16d782e477057be85836bec29125.jpg

I really think this looks suspect50b946e03ece88f8c47e187519886cf8.jpg

#6 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

What I really want to know is how contagious is this, I don’t want this to spread like vert did.

Edited by DocOct, 03 February 2020 - 01:16 PM.

#7 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,621 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

yeah, that's not metabolites  :tongue:    you definitely got something going on in there. looks like wet bubble post-37934-138193165743_thumb.jpg

https://mycotopia.net/topic/64134-wet-bubble-introduced-during-colonization-or-fruiting/

Edited by wharfrat, 03 February 2020 - 01:34 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

#8 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

Yea, ignore my post I didnt see those pics until just now, defiantly not normal like everyone mentioned.

You can apply a salt paste to the infected area to control the spread of it while the flush finishes, not sure how "wet bubble" spreads or if salt can control it but it's worth a effort to try to prolong it until the flush completes.

Or if the temperatures are good for it, plant it outside :)

#9 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 02:42 PM

Yea, ignore my post I didnt see those pics until just now, defiantly not normal like everyone mentioned.

You can apply a salt paste to the infected area to control the spread of it while the flush finishes, not sure how "wet bubble" spreads or if salt can control it but it's worth a effort to try to prolong it until the flush completes.

negative, they are not good, I’m just going to fruit out 1 flush so I can take an adventure then I’m going to chuck this thang

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

negative, they are not good, I’m just going to fruit out 1 flush so I can take an adventure then I’m going to chuck this thang

Don't mess with the salt paste stuff... Just start a new one. None of the guys who are serious and knowledgeable, whom I have been conversing with for years would suggest that. If it is contaminated, it gets tossed and moved away from other projects.

• Stencill86 likes this

#11 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

Seeing as I'm unfamiliar with "wet bubble" contamination then I cant contest....but it looks to be bacterial or a virus more so then a mold spore...the threenspread the same but bacteria and viruses are more of a surface to surface contact type of spread then threw the air like mold spores although bacteria and viruses are present in air it's not as easily spread as say green mold.

If you're running a commercial mushroom farm then I'd agree to say just chuck it but I doubt that it will spread to any other substrates unless of course your spawn was contaminated to begin with...

Time to track down the introduction point so you know where to take extra precaution next time, could have been from the spore print, innoc, colonization period, spawning or fruiting.

It's a interesting one since like I said I've never had it or do I wish to have it. Clean the room you quarantined it in after its flushed (,if you do decide to keep it)

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:19 PM

Seeing as I'm unfamiliar with "wet bubble" contamination then I cant contest....but it looks to be bacterial or a virus more so then a mold spore...the threenspread the same but bacteria and viruses are more of a surface to surface contact type of spread then threw the air like mold spores although bacteria and viruses are present in air it's not as easily spread as say green mold.

If you're running a commercial mushroom farm then I'd agree to say just chuck it but I doubt that it will spread to any other substrates unless of course your spawn was contaminated to begin with...

Time to track down the introduction point so you know where to take extra precaution next time, could have been from the spore print, innoc, colonization period, spawning or fruiting.

It's a interesting one since like I said I've never had it or do I wish to have it. Clean the room you quarantined it in after its flushed (,if you do decide to keep it)

wet bubble is fungal, so is dry bubble also known as vert... It is spread via spores as are most fungi and can spread from project to project with ease. I would wager that most people on here have multiple projects running and would prefer to not cross contaminate despite their not having a commercial grow. I know that I certainly would prefer that there be fewer contaminates floating around in my workspace. Even if it were bacterial, it is VERY easy to cross contaminate while in your work area. You can get it on your fingers while applying your paste suggestion, then touch the table just to transfer it from the table to another project down the road...

Starting over with fresh spawn and substrate is too easy to risk spreading contaminates in the air or surfaces in your workspace... Years ago, I had a buddy who was harvesting out of bags contaminated with green molds (typical green molds are not toxic)... The result of opening all those bags in the fruiting room was that the spore count in the house increased to where contamination rates sky rocketed...

Most of the guys whose opinion I respect would suggest that contaminated or potentially contaminated projects be removed from your workspace and taken outside or disposed of... There is simply no reason to take the risk... If you are going to grow one project, one time, trying to mask symptoms long enough to harvest may make sense... Most members, however, would like to continue this hobby and trying to extend the life of a contaminated substrate should not be encouraged....

• wharfrat and pastyoureyes like this

#13 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

Don't mess with the salt paste stuff... Just start a new one. None of the guys who are serious and knowledgeable, whom I have been conversing with for years would suggest that. If it is contaminated, it gets tossed and moved away from other projects.
yeah that’s what I was debating, I have plenty of spawned subs in colonization right now so no need to compromise my living areas with diseases, I’ll post the eradication tonight when I get off work

#14 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

its from the syringe, I was lazy with this one and bought a pre made syringe from a vendor that has gone down hill lately and I recognized pretty much right away that the growth was “unhealthy” that’s why I quarantined it long befor it showed signs of contamination

I have GT prints that I made so I’ll probably kill these off and restart.

Just made alacabenzi syringes this weekend so I’ll work with them, along with my pink buffalo spawn that’s already good to go.

Thank you to all the people who chimes in.
  • wharfrat likes this

#15 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

Thumbs up to the pink buffalo...its a very vigorous and robust p.cubensis. quick as hell and prolific, I pulled close to a pound in dry fruits on numerous occassions from ms, wbs to coir :)

I'm sure you'll find out, you're welcome and take care

#16 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:14 AM

I tried to kill it, but i can’t.

I have it in a room far away from my actual mycology room, I also plan to bleach bomb this room anyway so I’ve decided to let this poor baby flush 1 time. I assume flushing is like sex for this creature so I’m going to let it have some form of pleasure before it dies.

dd4d7541316a6c06b5535c63ab46b9c7.jpg4915fb8a9bfd5c149aea7827b89d976a.jpg

I don’t plant to get to personal with this thang, and when harvest time comes I’ll use iso soak gloves and utensils to do the job. Afterwards I’ll let them dry out in my botany/dirty room.

Wish me luck boyz

#17 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

Just an update, still in quarantine, still pinning.

503cea3762096d492483db3b6efb6cf0.jpg

They show the obvious “infected” signs such as the streak going up the sides of the fruit bodies.

But damn this pinset looks decent.
  • wharfrat likes this

#18 sandman

sandman

Lil Skeeter

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,747 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:15 PM

Looks like a great pinset despite everything, nice!

#19 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

I don't think the streak along the fruit body is the best indication of infection. I'm not saying you aren't dealing with a contaminated sub, only that I have had subs fruit fantastically with streaking up the stipe and no other indication that there may be a fungal infection.

#20 DocOct

DocOct

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

I don't think the streak along the fruit body is the best indication of infection. I'm not saying you aren't dealing with a contaminated sub, only that I have had subs fruit fantastically with streaking up the stipe and no other indication that there may be a fungal infection.

this thang has confirmed wet bubble, and yeah these have that signature “streak” like vert infected fruits have.

I’ll take a close up picture tonight.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!