33 replies to this topic

#1 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

I noticed this after my first shake.20200204_154650.jpg
The bright white myc I'm ok with but the "fuzz" all around it has my butt puckered up with concern.
This my first grow in a bout a year and a half and I'm outta practice I'm sad to say. I don't wanna pitch it till I get a lil input first. This one jar could mess up future projects if opened and added to a mono tub if it has tritch in it.

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

Looks like it could be lipstick mold, some of which are toxic... I would toss that jar...

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,682 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:21 PM

This my first grow in a bout a year and a half and I'm outta practice I'm sad to say. I don't wanna pitch it till I get a lil input first. This one jar could mess up future projects if opened and added to a mono tub if it has tritch in it.&&0){for(var>
)throw>

hard to tell IMO.. how quick did it show up after shake?  what did it look like before shake?

#4 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

Lipstick will turn pink or purp in the jar typically right? Only had it in 1 run prior to this, green and greenish blue trich is my typical tam.
They looked fine b4 the shake just happy bright white myc. I shook Sunday night and checked today, wish I would have looked yesterday.

#5 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

There's a few pics In my rezerection thread of b4 the shake

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,682 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:39 PM

Lipstick will turn pink or purp in the jar typically right? Only had it in 1 run prior to this, green and greenish blue trich is my typical tam.
They looked fine b4 the shake just happy bright white myc. I shook Sunday night and checked today, wish I would have looked yesterday.

that's pretty quick, probably contam. I would let it go for a few days and see what it looks like. yes lipstick is pink to redish color, I don't see what PJ sees.

#7 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:33 PM

doesn't look good... maybe a better pict a day after?

#8 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:56 PM

Lipstick starts white and fuzzy kinda turning gray then red as spores form. If I remember it will go to spore in the jar and it won't take long so I'm gonna wait it out..The sad part is all jars are from the same syringe so chances are it's in most if jot all of them.

#9 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:57 PM

I have a entire baseball card binder full of prints to fall back on if this fails but I'll need to get agar b4 I start messing with those.
  • wharfrat and YoshiTrainer like this

#10 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:08 PM

Thats a good idea bro for the baseball card binder. I have a scrapbook binder and a photo album started. By Golly Fungi2b I am so sorry I keep seeing your post and I keep confusing you with FunG. I'm glad you don't have a Cheshire Cat  avatar or I would mix you up with Seeker2b. I am a member on another forum and you seem familiar from there too but maybe I'm just high.

• Fungi2b likes this

#11 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:57 PM

Thats a good idea bro for the baseball card binder. I have a scrapbook binder and a photo album started. By Golly Fungi2b I am so sorry I keep seeing your post and I keep confusing you with FunG. I'm glad you don't have a Cheshire Cat  avatar or I would mix you up with Seeker2b. I am a member on another forum and you seem familiar from there too but maybe I'm just high.

No worries man, You may know me from another site.

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:56 AM

When I look at the photo, I see pink/purple... Perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me. I guess it could be part of the grain I am seeing, but the colors seem a little too vibrant to me... If it isn't pink/purple then I am mistaken...

Edited by PJammer24, 05 February 2020 - 09:57 AM.

#13 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:57 AM

sad part is all jars are from the same syringe so chances are it's in most if jot all of them.

doesn't have to be from the syringe

#14 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

Could easily be something that snuck in, depending on what kind of filter you are using, or maybe something that was hiding in the grains and survived the pressure cooker.

I had a contam in 1 of 6 jars the other day, the others were clean. It only showed up after a shake so I am guessing it was already in there.

Again it happened yesterday with 1 of 4 other jars that contaminated. In that last case it started on top. It showed up after more than a week, so I assume a spore snuck through the micropore tape and landed on the grain.

In both cases it was some sort of trich for me, and I haven't had any issues with trich before I started using a cardboard box to put my jars in - I am inclined to think it has to do something with that, but I have no real reason to assume that - but I will be using some other container to colonize my spawn jars.

Both of these contaminated jars came from the same batch of prepped rye, so I guess that it is a more likely scenario that something went wrong there.

-

As for.your picture, it isn't clear to me what is going on. Sometimes tomentose mycelium can be less white and look kind of grey-ish before it grows more thick. But seeing it grew so quickly the chances of it being a contaminant is pretty high.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 February 2020 - 11:30 AM.

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:53 AM

am I the only one seeing pink/purple????

#16 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 984 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

Maybe your screen is calibrated differently, I don't see it. To me it looks grey. When I have the blue-light-filter on screen it always looks different - I have assumed contamination because of that before on here. I make sure to have no filters on when I check out possible contam pics.

Maybe you have a better eye than the rest of us when it comes to spotting a certain contam early.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 February 2020 - 11:59 AM.

#17 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

no, I see it too, but think that it is more a reflection or camera than what is in

#18 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

, so I assume a spore snuck through the micropore tape and landed on the grain.

how many layers of micropore you use? I read a post where they showed a microscope picture of 3M micropore tape and measured sizes of gaps and realized that there are some gaps big enough for bastards to sneak through, so they concluded that the safe option is 2-3 layers

#19 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

spores can get through in a number of ways... They can sneak in on the side of the needle, in the syringe, they can be on the surface of the lid prior to pushing the needle through... They can pass through 3+ micron holes in the tape... Lots of ways for them to get in... I find that the SHIPs aren't entirely reliable either... I have had air being sucked back in through the port (around the sides of the needle) when filling my syringe... You have to draw the LC out slowly or the air port gets overwhelmed and outside air starts getting sucked in through the SHIP... I know this because I am an impatient mofo and I am incapable of drawing LC out slowly enough to avoid this... It is also because I use 60cc syringes and it is really easy to overwhelm the air port with the amount of material you can draw in with those... There are more efficient micro-pore tapes than 3M, etc...  fyi...

Edited by PJammer24, 05 February 2020 - 12:09 PM.

• RutgerHauer likes this

#20 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

spores can get through in a number of ways... They can sneak in on the side of the needle, in the syringe, they can be on the surface of the lid prior to pushing the needle through... They can pass through 3+ micron holes in the tape... Lots of ways for them to get in... I find that the SHIPs aren't entirely reliable either... I have had air being sucked back in through the port (around the sides of the needle) when filling my syringe... You have to draw the LC out slowly or the air port gets overwhelmed and outside air starts getting sucked in through the SHIP... I know this because I am an impatient mofo and I am incapable of drawing LC out slowly enough to avoid this... It is also because I use 60cc syringes and it is really easy to overwhelm the air port with the amount of material you can draw in with those... There are more efficient micro-pore tapes than 3M, etc...  fyi...

I am about to inoculate 20 jars, and after reading this I see spores everywhere :/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!