24 replies to this topic

#21 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

Ah I think I know of another way it can go wrong, I had not thought of this before.

I took out my jars out if the PC pretty quickly this time to speed up the cool down. When cooling down it can suck in air and spores from outside because of pressure differences. At that point I only have one layer of micropore on there to help the sterilization process. After inoculation I put a second layer on there.

Big chance some spores get sucked in, in those few hours of cooling down, or get stuck on that first layer of micropore tape, which then would easily get through after I put on a second layer.

Makes more sense than the cardboard box I mentioned earlier.. :laugh:

I have some points for improvement I see: Let the jars cool down in my PC and sterilize longer.

It's hard to point out where these things go wrong exactly, many factors that come into play. I had not even thought of SHIPs being able to cause trouble..

Edited by RutgerHauer, 05 February 2020 - 01:36 PM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#22 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

spores can get through in a number of ways... They can sneak in on the side of the needle, in the syringe, they can be on the surface of the lid prior to pushing the needle through... They can pass through 3+ micron holes in the tape... Lots of ways for them to get in... I find that the SHIPs aren't entirely reliable either... I have had air being sucked back in through the port (around the sides of the needle) when filling my syringe... You have to draw the LC out slowly or the air port gets overwhelmed and outside air starts getting sucked in through the SHIP... I know this because I am an impatient mofo and I am incapable of drawing LC out slowly enough to avoid this... It is also because I use 60cc syringes and it is really easy to overwhelm the air port with the amount of material you can draw in with those... There are more efficient micro-pore tapes than 3M, etc...  fyi...

I am about to inoculate 20 jars, and after reading this I see spores everywhere :/

spores ARE everywhere... Just a matter of in what concentration...

• Aur likes this

#23 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

I took out my jars out if the PC pretty quickly this time to speed up the cool down. When cooling down it can suck in air and spores from outside because of pressure differences. At that point I only have one layer of micropore on there to help the sterilization process. After inoculation I put a second layer on there.

Big chance some spores get sucked in, in those few hours of cooling down, or get stuck on that first layer of micropore tape, which then would easily get through after I put on a second layer.

had the same problem and found a solution:

I get the jars while very hot, shake them good to release steam that gets out of them - I have a reason for this, but not going into that - (protect my fingers from the heat with something clean)

before I do that, take a 3 litre plastic bag and squirt 2-3 squirts of alcohol in it, so when I am done with shaking the jar (shaking takes around 10 seconds)

I put the jar in a plastic bag with alcohol in it and seal the bag as tight as possible.

The jar will cool down and vacuum itself and this way you can put it anywhere since it is sealed in a bag.

looks something like this (Illustration):

84121687_2832131963568405_4810068032388857856_n.jpg

I will do some jars tomorrow, so I can post a pict when I'm done

Edited by Aur, 05 February 2020 - 05:35 PM.

#24 Aur

Aur

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

as promised, here's the pict of sterile vacuum sealed jars. They last like this for a long time. The longest I measured is 6 months in the fridge, then used it and no contams.

IMG_20200206_200159.jpg

as soonest you get it out the pc into the plastic bag the better, but not the moment you stop pc because the jar is so hot it melts the bag, so a bit of experience for timing.

#25 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:44 PM

@aur that's a very novel idea vac sealing in the bags.
I don't use a lot of micro pore tape, I use tyvek and ships.
I may have got ahead of myself it's a bad habit you guys will see I have. The myc thickened up and looks more normal. I'll get a pic later.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!