21 replies to this topic

#1 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 684 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:02 PM

Who wants to go mushroom hunting......in Chernobyl? :)

https://www.dailymai...eadly-rays.html
  • ElPirana and CourageToGrow like this

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 627 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:23 AM

It’s pretty amazing to see how nature can recover after horrendous human disasters like this.
  • CourageToGrow and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 684 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

Nature is amazing!

Mushrooms that eat plastic and mushrooms eating radiation, Mother Nature cleaning up our messes again!
  • CourageToGrow likes this

#4 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:35 AM

Yea let's go!  How about Ecuador in February?

• coorsmikey, Moonless and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 684 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 April 2020 - 01:02 PM

That sounds incredible!

#6 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:28 PM

Yea let's go! How about Ecuador in February?

Vamanos!

#7 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:40 PM

I would definitely go Alan if I wasn’t such a piss poor broke son of a gun right now. Lol

#8 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:41 AM

I would definitely go Alan if I wasn’t such a piss poor broke son of a gun right now. Lol

I've been piss poor broke since 2012 ever since I left office jobs to study mushrooms full time, but I always have enough money to do what I want to do.  I have just enough money to travel half the year, have high end camera gear, an old car and nice computer equipment.   I don't make any money but don't lose any either.

The trip I am planning will cost 400-600 for the plane ticket and 50 per night for accomodations, and last 1 - 4 weeks.   It's my friends eco-resort and includes super good food and a really nice place to stay.  There are lots of really cool trails on the property with lots of Cordyceps and all sorts of interesting things including several new species of bioluminescent mushrooms.

• coorsmikey, Boebs, ItBeBasidia and 2 others like this

#9 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,039 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

Danng... i want to join!!

#10 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:58 PM

Yea let's go!  How about Ecuador in February?

I would seriously be in to that! I would hold the reflector while you take photos and do much more. Send me a message if that's a good invite and I'll start planning. It seems that all the festivals I had planned this year are not gonna happen so I have a lil travel money set aside.

• Boebs and YoshiTrainer like this

#11 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:26 PM

Sheesh,. So jelly.. if you make that trip, have fun Mikey!
  • coorsmikey likes this

#12 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:21 AM

My plan is to go to Ecuador around Feb 1 and stay the whole month.   You all can come for as long as you want.   I'll be leading mushroom hunts each day and bioluminescent hunts most evenings.

The plane tickets cost $400 to $700 depending on how long in advance you buy them.   The place we will be staying is Finca Heimatlos (http://fincaheimatlos.com).   It's really nice there, recently built and owned by a mushroom hunter.   There's many miles of trails and almost all of the photos I have been posting from Ecuador were taken on the Finca Heimatlos property.  The cost to stay there is about what a cheap motel costs in the USA, and the rooms are new and super nice, and it includes really yummy fresh cooked food.   There is also a mycology laboratory on site that we can use which has a huge dehydrator and a couple nice microscopes, and may even have a DNA sequencing setup by next year.

• Tenderfoot, Boebs, Nicked and 2 others like this

#13 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:35 AM

My plan is to go to Ecuador around Feb 1 and stay the whole month. You all can come for as long as you want. I'll be leading mushroom hunts each day and bioluminescent hunts most evenings.

The plane tickets cost $400 to $700 depending on how long in advance you buy them. The place we will be staying is Finca Heimatlos (http://fincaheimatlos.com). It's really nice there, recently built and owned by a mushroom hunter. There's many miles of trails and almost all of the photos I have been posting from Ecuador were taken on the Finca Heimatlos property. The cost to stay there is about what a cheap motel costs in the USA, and the rooms are new and super nice, and it includes really yummy fresh cooked food. There is also a mycology laboratory on site that we can use which has a huge dehydrator and a couple nice microscopes, and may even have a DNA sequencing setup by next year.

That's quite an invite. Wish it wasn't so damn expensive to fly from South Africa. Kinda slightly jealous..
  • Boebs likes this

#14 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:58 AM

My plan is to go to Ecuador around Feb 1 and stay the whole month. You all can come for as long as you want. I'll be leading mushroom hunts each day and bioluminescent hunts most evenings.

The plane tickets cost $400 to $700 depending on how long in advance you buy them. The place we will be staying is Finca Heimatlos (http://fincaheimatlos.com). It's really nice there, recently built and owned by a mushroom hunter. There's many miles of trails and almost all of the photos I have been posting from Ecuador were taken on the Finca Heimatlos property. The cost to stay there is about what a cheap motel costs in the USA, and the rooms are new and super nice, and it includes really yummy fresh cooked food. There is also a mycology laboratory on site that we can use which has a huge dehydrator and a couple nice microscopes, and may even have a DNA sequencing setup by next year.

My partner and I could manage the trip. In 2018 we went from Columbia to Bolivia and visited Baños and Monañita in Equador. Although, I would really like an excuse to go back. I never got to venture deep into the jungle and would love the opportunity to do so.

#15 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Black VIP
  • 550 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:39 PM

Is there any services near by,such as a place to buy beer/liquor? I’ve never really been out the country and this sounds amazing, assuming I can talk the gf into it.

Also, any chance cubes or other actives will be found and we can indulge? Or will consumption be frowned upon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,630 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

Who wants to go mushroom hunting......in Chernobyl? :)

https://www.dailymai...eadly-rays.html

Ny Suisse Colleague Dr. Tjakko Stijve studied trace elements of radioactive isotopes in fungi from Chernobyl.  If I find that paper I will post it.

Borovicka-  Food Chem. 2018 Mar 1; 242: 225–231.

Published online 2017 Sep 8. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.09.038

Arsenic hyperaccumulation and speciation in the edible ink stain bolete (Cyanoboletus pulverulentus)

There are others on arsenic and radiocesium in mushrooms aftetr Chernobyl.

mjshroomer / man of knowledge.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#17 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:57 PM

I always thought that mushrooms metabolized dangerous substances of its surroundings kind of like I think bugs do as well? And become dangerous to eat, but clean the environment of said dangerous substance? What is that called there is a word for it I can’t remember?
  • Ronald Ray Gun likes this

#18 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:58 PM

I’ve got some time to get a job and save up for this Ecuador trip I’m guessing,. We will see!

#19 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Black VIP
  • 550 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:54 AM

I always thought that mushrooms metabolized dangerous substances of its surroundings kind of like I think bugs do as well? And become dangerous to eat, but clean the environment of said dangerous substance? What is that called there is a word for it I can’t remember?

Bioremediation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 839 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:44 AM

Yeah I believe that sounds right I gotta look up the definition,. That sounds like the exact word,. And I didn’t always think that they all did this a lot or anything but I thought it happened kinda randomly and therefore dangerous,. But I’m gonna look into that,.

I’m probably wrong it was something I thought I heard when I was little.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!