• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:41 PM

i wanna go up to oregon and washington but i wanna know when the azure season is and where is a good location to look. any tips or suggestions?

#2 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,647 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

Should be starting right about now. Night temps should be in the upper 50's lowe 60's. They are fall fruiters. I'd look in flower beds or wherever there is an abundance of hard wood chips. It is hard to find them in woods but clearings should have some.

#3 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

This mushroom naturally grows, often prolifically, along the northern Oregon coast near Astoria, favoring the land adjacent to the shoreline. P. azurescens has a strong affection for dune grasses, especially Ammophila maritimu, with which it is closely associated. Generating an extensive, dense, and tenacious mycelial mat, P. azurescens causes the whitening of wood. Fruitings begin in late September and continue well after the first frost, often into late December.

Distribution: Specimens were first collected on an alluvial plain along the Columbia river network near Astoria, Oregon in 1979. Fruitings of this species are known from Oregon and Washington and California.

There are some places in Warrenton. Try Ft. Stevens state park. There are roads there labled "A", "B", "C", etc. Try some of those roads. Look for grassy dunes. These roads aren't the best but they will train you to find the correct habitat for finding some better areas, good luck.

Keep in mind, it's a huge park but people have been busted there. Whatever you find, don't carry them around with you in a brown bag. Stash em under a bush and come back later to collect.

#4 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:02 PM

thanks guys, that is very helpful. i will start looking up those areas and seeing about how to get there.

#5 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:11 PM

Have fun...stay safe.

#6 tbonus

tbonus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

good luck,man,those are some good mushies!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!