#1 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

Hi everyone!

I am hoping to get some advice.

I inoculated my first set of 12 jars on December 22nd.

After 20 days, I had 7 jars fully colonized and consolidating.

Now, after 46 days, those 7 jars don't really show any signs of pinning.

They all still look healthy to my eye (no contams).

They have been in a cabinet at about 69 - 71 F.

See the below pics.

The first 2 are representative of what all the jars look like... seem healthy to me.

The last 1 is a pic of what I think may be the start of a pin?  I have only seen one of these in all my jars.

I am starting to wonder, is 46 days getting too long?

Any advice?

Thanks so much!

2020-02-06 - consolidation 1.jpg

2020-02-06 - consolidation 2.jpg

2020-02-06 - possible pinning.jpg

#2 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

If those were my cakes, I would move the fully colonized ones on to the fruiting chamber.  They look healthy and personally I don’t wait for pinning in the jars anyway.  I like to go to the fruiting chamber 7 to 10 days after full colonization.  Time to colonization depends on several things,  but strain and temperature are probably the biggest with the BRF sub.  Not sure what strain you are running, but 69-71F are on the low end of the temperature range for cubes and take longer.  Rust spore for instance takes every bit as long as what you are seeing.  Also, it is not unusual to have some inoculations/cultivations that don’t make it which is why we do things in parallel.  Discard failures and take care of the successes.  Take care and good luck.

#3 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:05 PM

If those were my cakes, I would move the fully colonized ones on to the fruiting chamber.  They look healthy and personally I don’t wait for pinning in the jars anyway.  I like to go to the fruiting chamber 7 to 10 days after full colonization.  Time to colonization depends on several things,  but strain and temperature are probably the biggest with the BRF sub.  Not sure what strain you are running, but 69-71F are on the low end of the temperature range for cubes and take longer.  Rust spore for instance takes every bit as long as what you are seeing.  Also, it is not unusual to have some inoculations/cultivations that don’t make it which is why we do things in parallel.  Discard failures and take care of the successes.  Take care and good luck.

Thanks Thacan.

These jars are all Golden Teacher.

My ambient temperature is more or less fixed, so I don't have much choice when it comes to temp.

I got conflicting information regarding when I should move to the fruiting chamber... some say wait until pinning, others say don't.  This is my first try, so I decided to go the 'safe' route and wait longer... don't want cakes falling apart on me when I take them out of the jars.

So now I am in a bit of a tough situation.

I can move the cakes into the fruiting chamber this weekend, but next weekend I will be away for 3 days, and I don't know if I will be able to find someone to help with humidity control and FAE while I am gone.

Should I just dunk and move this weekend, or wait until I get back?

#4 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

I don't wait for pins, sometimes they happen invitro sometimes they dont in my experience. For me cakes are fairly predictable. 4 weeks and they are usually fully colonized. I wait one week after full colonization then a cold dunk and put them in my fruiting chamber. If the cakes have pins i would skip the dunk.

If you will be away i'd wait to birth them until you will be able to mist and fan twice a day. If you birth them now you might come home to find a mess of spores and overripe/rotting fruits.

I know some people are now advocating waiting until pinning to birth jars (if memory serves even the original PF tek advised this) though its never been necessary for me.
  • FunG likes this

#5 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

From the pictures I can say that those cakes will not fall apart.  As pastyoureyes says, timing is a thing to consider.  Its not too hard to delay fruiting a bit and cooler temperatures help with that, but once you go to fruiting there's not much else to do, but be there for harvest or clean up the mess because you were out of town.  Fruiting times vary, but 10 days to 21 days are pretty common for the first flush.

• Fungi2b likes this

#6 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the advice pastyoureyes and Thacan.

I will dunk when I get back from my weekend away.

#7 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

Make lil trays to sit them on In your f.c by taking a lid and ring flipping it upside down and filling it with verm. It will protect the bottom of your cake and soak up extra water as a bonus you should get a nice ring of mush growing from it if conditions are right.IMAG0555.jpg.5bf25596b62166d21f4ab04ba8c1c739.jpg
Kinda like this.

#8 SlipperyJack

SlipperyJack

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:04 AM

I was planning on making a cup of sorts out of a piece of foil.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!