• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

Could be the silliest question ever, but I assume that is a possibility? Or is it better to inoculate with syringe for better coverage?? Or it makes no difference.

Secondary question. Do the different inoculation disciplines, have better outcomes.

#2 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

Good question. There are two major ways to start growing, germinate spores or inoculate with mycelium (latter of course must’ve originally started with spores.)

You can inoculate grain jars from LC (liquid culture), from agar wedges or from another fully grown grain jar. There are other methods, less common like slurry, etc.

I used to do lots of G2G transfers. I could fit 7 jars in my pressure cooker, so I would transfer one jar to seven. You could easily do more.
  • Choices likes this

#3 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:42 PM

I’ve done spore syringe inoculations, LC inoculations, and recently made agar. Hoping to have good luck with inoculating agar plates from a grain jar.

I’m very wet behind the ears so to speak. But eager to practice all these with positive outcomes.

Edited by Choices, 06 February 2020 - 08:43 PM.

• ElPirana likes this

#4 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

I’ve done spore syringe inoculations, LC inoculations, and recently made agar. Hoping to have good luck with inoculating agar plates from a grain jar.
I’m very wet behind the ears so to speak. But eager to practice all these with positive outcomes.

Yeah you can take a fully grown grain jar and just put a single grain onto the agar plate and grow it out. Then make transfers if you wanna try isolating.
  • Choices likes this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

Could be the silliest question ever, but I assume that is a possibility? Or is it better to inoculate with syringe for better coverage?? Or it makes no difference.

Secondary question. Do the different inoculation disciplines, have better outcomes.

nah, no questions are too silly.. 

you are well past having to post in the welcome forum, i'm moving this thread into magic mushroom forum. your posts from now on can go in the appropriate forum. thanks

Edited by wharfrat, 06 February 2020 - 09:19 PM.

• ElPirana, Choices and Fungi2b like this

#6 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:14 PM

Good question. There are two major ways to start growing, germinate spores or inoculate with mycelium (latter of course must’ve originally started with spores.)

You can inoculate grain jars from LC (liquid culture), from agar wedges or from another fully grown grain jar. There are other methods, less common like slurry, etc.

I used to do lots of G2G transfers. I could fit 7 jars in my pressure cooker, so I would transfer one jar to seven. You could easily do more.

How many pieces of grain?

#7 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:12 PM

If you’re inoculating agar then one grain is all you need.

For grain to grain, you’ll divide up the master jar evenly into the number of recipient jars of your choosing. It’s not exact. If your master jar of grain spawn is nice and healthy, then after the G2G it will recover and grow back very quickly. Make sure when you prep the extra grain jars that they are not too full to begin with because you’ll be pouring more grain into them and then shaking.

#8 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:12 AM

What everyone else said.

The thing with g2g is you can only transfer a culture jar 5x before the culture degrades and produces next to nothing. But a spoonful of wbs is more then enough inoculation points to turn 1jar into 20 and 20 into 100...

G2g is the quickest and easiest method of mass producing the only slow part is waiting for a culture to be ready in the master jar from spores..like also mentioned above.
  • ElPirana and Fungi2b like this

#9 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:08 AM

What everyone else said.
The thing with g2g is you can only transfer a culture jar 5x before the culture degrades and produces next to nothing. But a spoonful of wbs is more then enough inoculation points to turn 1jar into 20 and 20 into 100...
G2g is the quickest and easiest method of mass producing the only slow part is waiting for a culture to be ready in the master jar from spores..like also mentioned above.

Absolutely, it can quickly add up. I have easily added up just over a hundred jars of grain spawn at one time because of doing a bunch of G2G. And I just do this for a hobby, it was way too much. Of course I didn’t want to waste any of them so I made up a shitload of monotubs. Never again. I would have up to 3 monotubs a day needing harvesting and would be up most of the night working on it, then going in to my job to work 10 hour shifts. It took its toll , but I did end up with a lot of shrooms lol
  • Choices likes this

#10 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:43 AM

What everyone else said.

WBS??

#11 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 701 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:14 AM

Wild bird seed
  • Choices likes this

#12 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

So if I’m using Rye Berries, spoonful will also do the trick? Will just take longer to colonize, if you don’t use more from your master jar? Or do the mycelium need a whole lotta friends to make a party?

#13 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

Yep, a spoon of grain will do it. You can also just pour some grain from the master jar to the new one (you need to be careful about aseptic technique with either method). Shake the new jar to distribute the spawn around evenly. If you put in more it'll be faster due to more inoculation points, but it'll be fast enough in any case.

• ElPirana and Choices like this

#14 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

You can colonize a entire liter of grain within 7days using wbs because the kernels are smaller making for more inoculation points like newmoon said. That's if you were to use about 4 heaping spoonfuls into each jar.... not sure with rye cause I've yet to switch back over to rye grain but I'm sure it'd be the same time frame per 4spoonfuls of colonized grain :)

So yea, g2g F'ing rules!
  • ElPirana and Choices like this

#15 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

With WBS do you pasteurize the same way as rye? Hydrate and boil spread to cool?

#16 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:52 PM

With WBS do you pasteurize the same way as rye? Hydrate and boil spread to cool?

You need to sterilize (in a pressure cooker) grain spawn, no matter what grain you choose to use.

The substrate can be pasteurized or sterilized.

#17 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:04 PM

You need to sterilize (in a pressure cooker) grain spawn, no matter what grain you choose to use.

The substrate can be pasteurized or sterilized.

Does WBS need to be hydrated first? Just To the point of opening? Then cooled and sterilized. I think I’m saying that right!?!?

#18 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

Yes, the grain should normally be hydrated before pressure cooking. There are many methods to sterilize grains, you should probably do some searching to find a method that you like.

When I was using a lot of WBS, I was following a NSNS tek (NSNS = No Soak, No Simmer.). I learned it when using straight millet. A NSNS method will hydrate the grain while is it pressure cooking, so you would add a specific amount of dry WBS to the jar and a specific amount of water to the same jar. This method is not for everyone, the grain often wants to stick and clump a lot. It takes a lot of shaking the jars as well.

Nowadays I’ve been using wheat berries or brown rice for grain spawn and following a more traditional hydration method. I tried a version of NSNS with the wheat one time and it was horrible.

#19 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

I wouldn't no prep wbs...especially the cheap stuff, it has to be rinsed extremely well or itll be a starchy mess in a jar.

I prep all grain the same
Soak for anywhere between 12-24hours
Dump into a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear
(Optional) to use a pot of boiling water to give it one final clean rinse
Shake up the wbs in the strainer so the excess moisture drips out

Let cool and dry for 20minutes, load jars and pressure cook for 90minutes (note, I go 2hours at 15psi)

Grain prep is super easy.

You can follow the same prep for rye and I'd recommend rye over wbs since it is a cleaner grain then a bag of wbs plus you can collect and save your ergot (black sticks in rye grain) collect enough and you have a precursor for lsd :)
  • ElPirana likes this

#20 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 551 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

I wouldn't no prep wbs...especially the cheap stuff, it has to be rinsed extremely well or itll be a starchy mess in a jar.
I prep all grain the same
Soak for anywhere between 12-24hours
Dump into a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear
(Optional) to use a pot of boiling water to give it one final clean rinse
Shake up the wbs in the strainer so the excess moisture drips out
Let cool and dry for 20minutes, load jars and pressure cook for 90minutes (note, I go 2hours at 15psi)
Grain prep is super easy.
You can follow the same prep for rye and I'd recommend rye over wbs since it is a cleaner grain then a bag of wbs plus you can collect and save your ergot (black sticks in rye grain) collect enough and you have a precursor for lsd :)

Yeah I put wbs through a colander that easily let me separate the sunflower seeds, sticks and other crap, it was good enough. The millet I bought was so clean it barely even had dust in it.
When I prep wheat or rice, I don’t soak but I do simmer, and pretty much follow the rest of your advice.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!