• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:43 PM

I made these last week. Will the condensation dissipate? Or is the condensation a sign of contamination. The recipe i used said the condensation was normal and it would dissipate. I’ve been storing them in my mini fridge in my basement where i do all my things.

da20d3617deb8737827e4c673a9a6d9e.jpg

#2 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 579 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

I'm not really the guy to ask about agar but i think some suggest storing them upside down to prevent that.
  • PJammer24 and Fungi2b like this

#3 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

I did hear/read something along those lines but I wasn’t sure (as stupid as it sounds) what it was referring to.

Literally storing them upside down on the larger disc of the two?

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

I did hear/read something along those lines but I wasn’t sure (as stupid as it sounds) what it was referring to.

Literally storing them upside down on the larger disc of the two?

I posted this on the other agar thread you started. You want to store them upside down. It will help keep them from drying out as quickly and will help with the condensation.. If you can store them in stable temperatures, this should help with moisture inside the plate as well. When you store them in a typical fridge, where temperatures fluctuate a good deal, you get more moisture in the plates... Lab fridges typically have a temperature swing of only a couple degrees... You can also get a fridge and crank it up all the way or a freezer and then control temperature with a PID...  The PID will keep the temperature within a couple degrees of your target temp at all times.

• pastyoureyes likes this

#5 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:43 PM

Did I not post this in the right place again? Oh man, my apologies.

I keep my fridge on the lowest setting and have a temp controller that keeps it in that set range. I did that when i started my seed bank.

Roger, on the upside down.

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,001 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

With the PID's you would typically have it on full blast and the PID controls the power going to the unit... I don't know what type of temp controls you are using but you might want to look into the margin of error on the temp control... If temps are swinging 4-5+ degrees in either direction, you might wanna look into a more sensitive unit...  I would typically have the fridge on full blast and just let the controller do all the work but if its working for you, that's all that matters.

If flipping them over doesn't mostly resolve the condensation issue, you might wanna look into a more sensitive control unit. I have two ink bird units, they are plug and play and required no wiring... I can adjust the sensitivity to within 1 degree, of the target temp but I usually leave it at 2 degree.... I use them for the steam pasteurizer, the freezer, I have even used them to control HVAC units... They are pretty nifty!

#7 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

With the PID's you would typically have it on full blast and the PID controls the power going to the unit... I don't know what type of temp controls you are using but you might want to look into the margin of error on the temp control... If temps are swinging 4-5+ degrees in either direction, you might wanna look into a more sensitive unit... I would typically have the fridge on full blast and just let the controller do all the work but if its working for you, that's all that matters.

If flipping them over doesn't mostly resolve the condensation issue, you might wanna look into a more sensitive control unit. I have two ink bird units, they are plug and play and required no wiring... I can adjust the sensitivity to within 1 degree, of the target temp but I usually leave it at 2 degree.... I use them for the steam pasteurizer, the freezer, I have even used them to control HVAC units... They are pretty nifty!

Yea sir, I use the same units, adjustable within a degree. Control a heat and cool cycle or just heat or cool. I had a much more convoluted unit for brewing. But that was way before Amazon took over the world and you could buy anything.

The reason why I keep It in low is so the freezer area does not ice up and then defrost all over all my “things” in the fridge. Same concept diff execution.

#8 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 383 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

I'm not really the guy to ask about agar but i think some suggest storing them upside down to prevent that.

Took the words right outta my fingers.
Ink bird is the best.
  • Choices likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!