• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:46 PM

So my brain had a thought about agar and tissue samples using a SAB. As you transfer sample from fruiting chamber to SAB will the mushroom get contaminated? Don’t mushrooms start to rot immediately? and will the now rotting mushroom be vulnerable to contamination?

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:02 AM

So my brain had a thought about agar and tissue samples using a SAB. As you transfer sample from fruiting chamber to SAB will the mushroom get contaminated? Don’t mushrooms start to rot immediately? and will the now rotting mushroom be vulnerable to contamination?

just take section of stem into the SAB, wipe the outside of the stem with alcohol, cut into the stem and take a small piece of tissue from the inner stem. this will be the cleanest route.

edit: no, they don't rot immediately

Edited by wharfrat, 08 February 2020 - 12:03 AM.

• pastyoureyes and Choices like this

#3 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:03 AM

Very good. Thank you.
  • wharfrat likes this

#4 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

Sometimes the tissue sample will look like it is black and rotting but it's just bruising. Then the next day or two it should be growing again with nice and white mycelium. 

Personally I do not wipe the stems with anything this usually makes the bruising go crazy. Since you are in a STILL air box and the shroom is from a clean grow you should be able to just gently and slowly tear it in half without getting the inside dirty. I get the best results ripping a whole shroom with cap still on starting at the base of the stem and the ripping torwards the cap all the way through the cap. Then use the stem as a handle and take the cuts from the ripped in half cap. The cap tissue is a little less fibrous and easier to get the cut out. 

• Choices likes this

#5 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:34 PM

Sometimes the tissue sample will look like it is black and rotting but it's just bruising. Then the next day or two it should be growing again with nice and white mycelium.

Personally I do not wipe the stems with anything this usually makes the bruising go crazy. Since you are in a STILL air box and the shroom is from a clean grow you should be able to just gently and slowly tear it in half without getting the inside dirty. I get the best results ripping a whole shroom with cap still on starting at the base of the stem and the ripping torwards the cap all the way through the cap. Then use the stem as a handle and take the cuts from the ripped in half cap. The cap tissue is a little less fibrous and easier to get the cut out.

Do you get better results taking from stipe or cap? Or makes no difference? And thank you for the knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

The results are the same it's just easier to cut the cap tissue because it is not so stringy.

• Choices likes this

#7 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:05 PM

The results are the same it's just easier to cut the cap tissue because it is not so stringy.

Thank you Sandman !!

#8 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:11 PM

Thank you Sandman !!

And you literally mean gently tear, peal the mushroom in half? Would cutting it be easier, with a scalpel? Flame sterilized of course.

#9 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:05 PM

No cutting, it will drag outside nasties into the fresh inner tissue. Just a gentle peel is all that is needed, it is pretty easy to do. Just kinda pinch the stem base and start the rip there, trying to rip it right in half down the center line not so much peel like a banana. 

Edited by sandman, 08 February 2020 - 09:08 PM.

#10 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

No cutting, it will drag outside nasties into the fresh inner tissue. Just a gentle peel is all that is needed, it is pretty easy to do. Just kinda pinch the stem base and start the rip there, trying to rip it right in half down the center line not so much peel like a banana.

Understood, and thank you for the knowledge. I suppose if I think about it, mushrooms are quite fragile.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!