• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:18 PM

So for anyone who isn’t heard about them yet, there are some high-tech glasses available that enable 4 out of 5 colorblind people to see the colors they couldn’t before. Tough break for you, person #5. There’s always DMT…

Anyway, a friend told me about the reaction videos of people putting them on and seeing a new world of color for the first time in their lives, and when I watched a few today I thought that they seemed a lot like people seeing the world through a psychedelic lens for the first time. A whole lot.  

They react the same as people recorded hearing sound for the first time, too. It would be hard to imagine living your whole life up to the present being colorblind or deaf and suddenly being able to see all the colors or hear sounds for the first time, but people who have taken psychedelics can probably relate to how emotional and intense such revelations can be.

The guy at 3:02 was pretty funny; like many new trippers he wanted to share his amazement (“Look at my pants!” :eek: ):

[Direct Link]

I also like the comment by the guy who didn't know what to call the colors he was seeing: "I don't know what colors the colors are!"

And then he wandered out by the trees. Imagine seeing green for the first time, assuming you’ve always been able to see green.

A lot of the people who the glasses work for are immediately drawn to plants and trees and flowers (there are a lot of these videos out now). So it’s also similar to psychedelics in that respect, too.

This clip shows how much of a difference they’re seeing:

[Direct Link]

“That tree over there looks so cool!”

And when he said that, I realized that most of us are color blind most of the time since all the vibrant colors that the people in the videos are seeing for the first time in their lives are always there for the rest of us to perceive but out of habit we usually don’t.

If we respond with something like “Oh, that one? Yeah, it’s, uh… just a tree bro” then IMO it means we need a tune-up of our awareness.

When it’s “just a tree” then we either need some new glasses or a DMT/fungi refresher to relight that spark of awe. It would be pretty cool if we could manage to live every day like we’ve just put on glasses that cured our color blindness for the first time. Maybe we can?

Edited by TVCasualty, 10 February 2020 - 01:27 PM.

• Skywatcher, ElPirana and flashingrooster like this

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:34 PM

@TVCasualty, I agree that people are far too checked out when it comes to the world around them and that everyone could use a little more AWE... in their lives... It is important to consider what life would be like if everyone was walking around awestruck throughout their day. I know that I am not nearly as focused when I am tripping. If everyone was that distracted, the world would be a dangerous place!

I love watching these videos... I also love to see babies who get their cochlear implants for the first time! Looking at the face of a 1 year old hear her moms voice for the first time is pretty incredible!

• Skywatcher likes this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,077 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:13 PM

That's pretty cool. Glad to see these glasses are effective for a majority of color blind people.

I really can't imagine what it's like to not be able to see all the colors. I wonder if people who have the glasses for a while feel more deprived when they take them off, or if they get used to the full spectrum after a while, and that becomes the expected norm.

• PJammer24 likes this

#4 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

A great book on the subject of human perception and an astonishing view of our existence:  “Plant Intelligence and the Imaginal Realm” by Stephen Harrod Buhner.  It's not an easy read (for me anyway), but enchanting if you have an open mind.  I learned about this book from this short outtake with Joe Rogan interviewing Dennis McKenna in 2017.

[Direct Link]

This is a fascinating topic and primarily how and why I believe in the magic of the mushroom.

#5 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:30 AM

What to say to this interesting posting? I try to contribute something visual.

I'm always looking for interesting gadgets and there is also a gadget for people being sober, seeing pictures like being on a trip!

Cant't imagine how it would be on a trip!

The gadget is from Harry Oldfield, an inventor in the U.K..

It's a filter you can look through with the naked eye (of course with two of them one could create some googles with it....).

I used it in front of the lens on my camera on my Echinopsis Scopulicola this morning.

Learn more about the product here

Enjoy!

gallery_162460_2_4777497.png

gallery_162460_2_4681845.png

• TVCasualty, Skywatcher, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#6 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

A great book on the subject of human perception and an astonishing view of our existence:  “Plant Intelligence and the Imaginal Realm” by Stephen Harrod Buhner.  It's not an easy read (for me anyway), but enchanting if you have an open mind.  I learned about this book from this short outtake with Joe Rogan interviewing Dennis McKenna in 2017.

[Direct Link]

This is a fascinating topic and primarily how and why I believe in the magic of the mushroom.

Wow, that's pretty cool.

I've mentioned in the past around here how much I enjoy sparring on mushrooms but I use medium doses, not micro doses so I'd actually be mildly tripping at the time. I also found it to give me astounding advantages that made it unfair for the other guy and I thought it would be a great performance-enhancing drug for MMA fighters since they don't test for it.

#7 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:26 AM

My mom is one of those absolutely batshit crazy people who came into being via being denied any experience other than the limited repartee sanctioned by modern life.  She was told how to live by people who didn't know, and she obeyed.

How many times I have wished and expressed to her that she needs to break out of her mental shell, for her sake, and consequentially, ours.

I really think people go crazy if they don't shake the snow globe at least once in a while.

Yes, I'm certifiable now but at least I know it.  What's worse is being crazy and also thinking you're right.  This is what is dangerous.

I have envisioned being there for her as the first dose she ever experienced comes upon her.  Holding her hand and watching her eyes open.  Seeing the tears and understanding, the knowing of forgiveness.  The gaze not of the eyes, but of a truly opened mind.

I have speculated that a shared experience such as this could cure me of at least half of my ills, and most of my mother's.

I sigh in exponential decline as I resign myself to the probability that this will never happen.  I hate my mother but I also love her so very much.  I would swell with joy to see her finally open up and pierce the veil of misunderstanding which has clouded her her whole life. 

I keep a pair of those "glasses" with me, tucked away buried in a jar somewhere I've seldom been but always remember, saving them for the day she finally says to me "I want to see."

Edited by darci, 12 February 2020 - 12:28 AM.

• TVCasualty, Tenderfoot, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

I have some experience dealing with batshit-crazy parents who can't or won't see what's right in front of them.

The mother of a good friend of mine was an especially interesting case since I watched her transformation from being a profoundly immature, judgmental, and self-righteous energy vampire to becoming a practicing Shaman (schooled by literal Shamans from the tribe we got the term from, among other groups) who has written esoteric, jargon-infested books on the subject and has a healing practice in Hawaii now. She took it WAY further than I’d ever thought she would (or intended).

I remember when she’d scream at my friend for being a degenerate druggie when my friend (who was 24 and in Grad School at the time, so not a kid) admitted to smoking cannabis and eating some mushrooms occasionally, and she would even be going off like that while un-ironically enjoying too much wine.

It was the death of her nuclear-engineer husband 3 months after being diagnosed with a brain tumor that brought her to her Shattering. Until then we’d assumed her Ego was probably unbreakable, but after this experience I suspect that only genuine sociopaths or high-functioning psychopaths are truly Shattering-proof.

Once she settled down a bit (her grief was spectacular and ostentatious for a while) my friend and I took her out into the desert outside Tucson into Saguaro National Monument East, but we had to sneak in through the back door that turned out to be a ranch controlled by a drug cartel (but that’s another somewhat harrowing story). Anyway, we made camp far enough up the mountain so she couldn’t make it to civilization before the LSD wore off if things went poorly and she freaked and tried to make a run for it. We had no idea what to expect from her.

All it took was that one sugar cube of LSD; it was “the good stuff” so one was like a 5-strip of typical blotter doses.

She was off and running after that experience, which went amazingly well and had some truly gut-busting, hilarious moments. I still laugh recalling her comments about how tacky some of her own hallucinations were (she fancied herself quite the artist and tasteful decorator so she found the pastel auras of the saguaros appalling).

That day sharply divided her life into two distinct parts (before “the trip” and after “the trip”). It also cured her arrested development; she often acted like a 19-year old, which coincidentally was the age she accidentally got pregnant and so had to get married.

She resented the hell out of my friend for having the nerve to mess up her carefree youth by becoming her child, but the LSD and her journey to shamanism helped cure that, too. So I guess it’s the case that selfishness and resentment (among other things) can be dissolved with a solution of strong acid, which is really good news.

Before I knew it she was drinking Aya in Peru, hanging out in Nepal and the Esalen Institute, and eventually studying under Dennis McKenna for a brief time. I think she still has a bottle of Aya he mixed up for her in her fridge that she wouldn’t share with me, which I thought was kinda uncool considering how it got there.

The transition from her being an insufferable case of arrested development to being practicing Shaman with her own menagerie of power animals took about a decade (her newest and biggest book came out last year and I can hardly understand a word of it, lol).

So never say never.

I sure as hell never saw what happened to her coming after only one dose. And it came together because my friend and I had been offering her the opportunity to see the world differently while she was nearly inconsolable and in permanent-breakdown mode from the death of her husband.

All we did was make her aware that alternatives to living in the fear she was gripped with existed, and one day she approached us like someone who had finally been deeply humbled after a lifetime of arrogant entitlement that had never been denied. She’d come to accept that she’d run out of options for tolerating her new existence and was ready to listen to someone else for a change. She was Shattered.

I also think she went for it because I did most of the talking about the LSD “alternative.” She seemed to give my opinions more credibility than my friend’s precisely because I was NOT her son, as bizarre as that sounds. So sometimes resistance to change is not about the message so much as the messenger, depending on the amount of fraught history involved.

If you happen to have Nexflix, check out the opening sequence (first 5 minutes or so) of Season 2, Episode 1 of Bojack Horseman if you haven't seen it. It reminded me of your description of your mother to an uncanny degree. Pretty amazing show in general, too.

#9 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,246 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

TV - your post was incredible.  You've given me a lot to chew here.

"Insufferable."  YES - That's the word.  This is exactly how I would describe my mother.  Within 5 minutes of being around her, she will stuff your ears with volumes of irrelevant commentary, and incessant bitching.  I don't know how my father tolerated her.  I once asked him why he married her, and no shit - he was watching a football game at the time (It was the Dallas Cowboys, how do I remember that?) and precisely the moment they cut to the cheerleaders, he replied "for the pom-poms."

While my mom was externally a beauty queen, she made up for it with her behavior.  She's a terrible listener.  Not once in my life have I been able to speak my mind to her about anything important to me and have her actually hear it, and reply with the intention of being helpful, consoling, or kind.  Instead, she introduces a comparison of my suffering to her own, and then forces her conclusion on me:  that she has suffered far worse, and if anyone deserves attention or sympathy, it's her.  And the weird thing is that it isn't actually sympathy I'm looking for, I'm trying to process a problem larger than myself and I'm hoping if I communicate with someone that we can share the burden a bit, work collectively, and try to figure it out.  Alas, I've spent a lifetime dealing with my problems practically entirely on my own.

She screams in fits of rage, throws dishes (her favorite thing to do when she disagrees with you) and commonly begins bawling because (her words) her daughter is abusive to her.

While I have felt the smoldering rage of animosity toward that woman, it wasn't out of inherently malicious spite that I was born with as if it was my genetic nature.  I don't think I have an evil disposition.  I wanted to love my parents (and do) and also wanted them to love me.  After 34 years of struggle, I still can find no superficial evidence that that woman actually likes me.  She'll say she loves me, but quickly follows with a monologue of criticism that can last for hours.

To summarize, I would say my mom is a profoundly insecure 13-year old girl, a spoiled brat, a selfish, narcissistic hypochondriac drama queen with a spending problem.  I think she's trying to make sure she spends all my dad's money he left her before she croaks so I won't see a dime.  Meanwhile, I'm suffering a lonely, exhausted, broke existence and sometimes could use a bit of financial help but when she "helps" me it always comes with about 40 tons of dead guilty weight.  She talks to me about her "success" at marrying a successful man at a young age, having a husband, home, social connections, house, luxury car and many other things while still in her 20s, and here I am in my mid 30s and have trouble paying rent.  I guess I'm just a colossal failure.

She knows I smoke pot and I catch hell for that all the time too, and she thinks that it's the primary reason I'm usually broke.  I probably spend $150 a month on pot, but my math instincts tell me that saving this amount of money isn't going to land me a husband, 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house, luxury car, 2.3 kids, a manicured lawn and a dog to poop on it.

Anyway, who cares.  Just another person's problems.  But for what it's worth, I hear you and can relate.  And I see you do too.

So yeah, I'd love to have the opportunity to offer her the keys to the mental gateway.  She, of course, believes all drugs are bad except for her valium, lyrica, hydrocodone, wine, and nicotine and that if she takes a psychedelic she'll instantly go crazy and never come back.  The irony.

• TVCasualty likes this

#10 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 14,208 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:34 AM

I guess I have to recommend that we we all get "shattered."   We watch everyone else wallow in their own bullshit stories, but what about our own?  I think the key, really, is if we do come to having our story lines cracked, is to watch out for us writing a new one and believing it's not just our own 'new and improved' version, just more bullshit.   What suffers are the story princes and princesses, and they are the ghosts of the living that we believe in.  Who cries, "but I don't want it to be this way!" 

We are not what we think.  Nothing is what we think.  There is no real thing built out of words and symbols.  It's the first line in Taoism.  If we get that, there needs be no more homework. 

If the sufferer isn't real, what happens to the suffering?

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:11 PM

darci: Thanks, it's nice to hear you found my reply useful.

I probably spend $150 a month on pot, but my math instincts tell me that saving this amount of money isn't going to land me a husband, 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house, luxury car, 2.3 kids, a manicured lawn and a dog to poop on it.

Ten bucks says she took you having a pet rat as a personal insult to her, like you're trying to humiliate her in front of the world that's always watching and judging. Because that's all that matters.

A friend of mine is the true Master of all Crazy Mother Whisperers, but he's especially well-suited for it since he grew up under the tender mothering of a woman so far off the psycho charts that everyone calls her "Angel" but never to her face. I learned much from watching him interact with crazy psycho-abusive mothers (and there are many). He's also capable of listening to them talk about interior design and random neurotic shit for more than a minute without going bonkers, which I can only assume is because he's both gay (which is probably a stereotype but one that sure seems to check out in this case) and he absolutely adores "crazy" wherever he can find it, much like a collector. And damn does he got stories...

Anyway, he can get them to mellow out when they start to get drunk and excitable and even make them ...sufferable for brief stretches (all of them except his own, of course). Mostly he does that by keeping them occupied in one room refilling their wine glass and listening to them going on about how Formica countertops are for barbarians or whatever so everyone else can relax and socialize without drama in another room. I think he should charge an hourly rate as a consultant and if he ever does I'll let you know.

I don't know how my father tolerated her.  I once asked him why he married her, and no shit - he was watching a football game at the time (It was the Dallas Cowboys, how do I remember that?) and precisely the moment they cut to the cheerleaders, he replied "for the pom-poms."

Damn, I felt like I could actually hear his tone of resignation when he said that even through the distance of it being a second-hand quote.

The mother I wrote about who was transformed with some acid in the desert was the same deal. She was really, really damned cute as a not-pregnant 19-year old. So was Angel back in the day. So was Bojack Horseman's mom. They all enjoyed luxurious lives in too-big houses with too-much wine and never wanted for anything, ever, but are also apparently utterly miserable at a fundamental level. The similarities among them are so striking that it's safe to say there's definitely some sort of cultural phenomenon going on. I suspect it involves unmet and probably un-meetable expectations, such as eternal youth.

I'm adding the anecdotes and suggesting checking out that clip from Bojack Horseman to help establish that you are definitely not alone when it comes to Crazy Mother Syndrome.

The phenomenon may be a direct result of a failed attempt to dictate cultural norms from the top-down to her and her parents' generations since the "nuclear family" ideal of American culture was a post-WWII creation for propaganda purposes. We can actually blame the evil and infernal Disney Corporation for a good bit of it (emphasis mine):

As Disney fairytales often begin with a princess’ life portrayed as bleak in the context of lacking family structure, the term “a Cinderella story” now derives its meaning from such a narrative (Stone, 1975, p 42). The “Cinderella story” is entrenched in society due to Disney repeated use of it across films. In The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Beauty, and the Beast, and Pocahontas, to name a few, the commonality of a solution to the princess’ nuclear family is held (Bryman, 2011, p 65-66). Without fail, female protagonists find a relationship with a male character by which the entire conflict of the plot is resolved in a “knight in shining armor” and “the prince charming” manner (Bryman, 2011, p 68). Males are consistently the resolution to the princess’ conflict of lacking a family, whereby the heterosexual relationship allows for nuclear families to be created (Bryman, 2011, p 70-72). In turn, the princess is not a well-developed character, as her solutions to her problems are beyond her control, making her a non-dynamic character. Furthermore, this only demonstrates the lack of agency princesses have over their own lives as they are designed to be dependent on someone else to solve their family issues (Bryman, 2011, p76-78).

http://gcml.org/the-...nuclear-family/

It's little wonder that women who were raised to be Disney Princesses and men who were raised to be the Knights in Shining Armor who saved them from the ability to save themselves hasn't really worked out so well in the real world. "Traditional family values" are a bullshit 20th Century construct; the concept is little more than a blatant propaganda campaign that pushed the (thermo)nuclear family model, such as by shows like Leave it to Beaver and The Donna Reed Show.

Those shows were intentionally written to reinforce the pre-WWII gender roles of women staying at home to do domestic stuff because after WWII a lot of women had to be convinced to quit working in factories and give their jobs back to the men whose jobs they "really" were because women aren't "really" capable of operating heavy machinery or knowing how to rivet and weld unless the whole world plunges into war, apparently.

It's probably the case that women stuck in such roles at the very least understand their lack of agency at a subconscious level, and that seems likely to inspire a lot of acting out, resentment, passive-aggression, and probably aggressive-aggression too since nobody likes to be stuck in a cage, even a gilded one. Granted, it's a gilded cage whose door has no lock, but she doesn't know that (yet). That's what the psychedelics are for.

I strongly suspect that I just wrote out a bunch of words that stated stuff you already know or at least intuit, which is why you've got those "glasses" stashed for the day you can convince her to put them on.

• darci likes this

#12 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 802 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

That does seem to be a general thing I hear a from the uninitiated about psychedelics, that one hit can make you go insane. I suppose it doesn't help when we know a guy personally who loves to tell everyone how he friend his brain on homemade acid. It didn't stop me,  I have been told to not "insert last name of town crazy guy here" myself when I got my hands on some lucy.

Is it the same fear mechanism when you look over the cliff with a bungee rope tied to your legs. Well it should be fine but there is the slim chance I could hurt myself. The perceived danger of psychedelics might just be to powerful for some people to overcome. 

My best friend, who has taken mushrooms in the past

"I read that if you take mushrooms it  changes your brain, it can change who you are forever. I don't want that"

Me

"Why? isn't that what growing up is all about, changing your brain."

"No way man I am good"

The idea of getting shattered. I suppose some people might feel like they have more to lose from the experience. Not realizing the potential gain. I have only one other friend who had a breakthrough experience where he said he had come to understand the nature of the universe. The connectivity of it all.  When I ordered some mushrooms off the internet and grew them most of my friends thought I was crazy. "So you just ate them? Weren't you scared they were poisonous?". After I played guinea pig they decided it was okay. 

I think weed is a gateway drug, a gateway to opening your perspective and allowing you to see more. I could see how that would open one's mind to take some stronger psychedelics

And we all know the real culprit when it comes to inhibition control and trying new substances. Old Alcohol, how many times have you seen a newbie green out smoking his first joint. Sober the guy doesn't touch the stuff, but drunk as a skunk, yeah shit give me a toke of that

Edited by flashingrooster, 15 February 2020 - 08:07 PM.

#13 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,213 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:26 AM

Now you can show those people these videos and tell them that it changes their brains like how seeing new colors changes these people's brains, and I have yet to see a single reaction video where the person is anything less than amazed and in awe of those changes to the degree that it left most in tears from the awakening.

No one seemed to regret putting the glasses on, and I've never met anyone who regrets becoming experienced with psychedelics even if some of their trips might have been difficult or scary.

Edit: Or I guess you can make them watch Pleasantville, which seems like a film specifically intended to help us talk our un-hip parents into tripping with us.

Edited by TVCasualty, 16 February 2020 - 12:29 AM.

#14 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:41 PM

Agreed, the acid guy is the only person I have met that had a negative life altering experience on psychedelics. It makes you wonder where all the stigma comes from.  mmmm hollywood? or just leftovers from all the hippie hate in the 60's

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!