• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

I did an MS to grain with B+ back the first week of January. I grew out the first few jars and expanded one G2G. The first two trays had a decent first flush, but bottom pins were extreme so tried an experiment and just put the subs directly on the shelving. It was going ok but the subs started on the dry side and my automated fruiting chamber had some breakdowns and operator errors so the subs just dried out.

I decided to try something different for me and experimented with deeper wetter subs. That also has had some drawbacks in that I seem to have some verticillium going on. None the less the first tray flushed out this week with a ton of sidepins totaling around 365 wet.

The next tray just got harvested. It also seems to have verticillium going on and I don’t know if maybe that’s what caused this massive flush or not. I also have been using these trays which are actually 6qt shoebox totes to dial in my FC for a Pan Cambo attempt so the temps are very warm 77-80 and the FAE is cranked up to what I calculate to be one full exchange (and then some) every ten minutes. RH was getting down as low as 85% for a few days when ambient humidity was lower but since these pins formed I’ve been back up around 95%+. I misted once a day when the RH was struggling to stay up before the pins formed.

So I’m guessing all of those factors played a roll in what just happened: warm temperatures, high FAE, high humidity, 24 hour direct LED light (it’s way too much light), wettish sub, and I think the verticillium may be pushing the myc to fruit as hard as possible. I just pulled 611g wet off a 6qt shoebox with about 3” of cmc/coir/verm/gypsum. The sub is half gone it shrank so hard! Lol.

I went ahead and let it mature so the smaller ones just broke their veils. So I’m sure I stretched the weight a little, but I’ve never seen anything this dense before. There were a couple of largish fruits, but mostly they were leggy and just wall to wall. I wasn’t even sure where to start harvesting!

I’ll be letting these trays finish out to see what happens hopefully but I need to have some downtime to decontaminate it before I put the pans in there. I also have my first straw/field-poo tray going so I can monitor it ahead of the of the Pan Cambos going in hopefully next week. I think I’ll be experimenting much more with harder strains and species because I just don’t need anything like the amount these trays are producing.

Since this is where I have learned 90% of what I know (which isn’t very much at all!) I wanted to say thank y’all and share this.

Without further ado:

Attached Thumbnails

• C44DEEDD-8CC5-4714-9A94-C9021B9985D8.jpeg
  • 316E2355-FFB2-4D35-90F7-0FD7F57F0DD3.jpeg
  • FD53BDBE-E233-497C-A076-FB26E875E335.jpeg
  • D2ADCECF-198C-4F98-852C-55956A7E39C2.jpeg

• Tenderfoot, Ripples, adrian118 and 10 others like this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

Daaaaamn! nice haul, looks like some bacterial blotch though. i'm pretty sure that can spread.

• Jrotten likes this

#3 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

Nailed It! Damn nice! Hope you took notes to repeat what you did. Bragging rights going on here!

• Jrotten likes this

#4 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:12 PM

Gorgeous man.... That is the goal...

• Jrotten likes this

#5 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:17 PM

Daaaaamn! nice haul, looks like some bacterial blotch though. i'm pretty sure that can spread.

What looks like blotch? I definitely think it’s got verticillium but I haven’t seen anything that seems bacterial... but I’m not an expert for sure.

Edited by Jrotten, 10 February 2020 - 09:18 PM.

#6 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:41 PM

That's the craziest flush that I've ever seen.  Thanks for sharing!

• Jrotten likes this

#7 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

I see it now, I can’t find good pictures and there seems to be a lot of misidentification online but that definitely makes more sense than verticillium. It makes me happy honestly because verticillium I didn’t have a good answer for.

It seems bacterial blotch is just universal and survives pasteurization. I have changed my FC over from a humidistat controller to timed cycles with everything on it’s own synchronized cycle. Since my FC is small it changes things a lot when it has lots of trays in it. I had dialed my internal fans way back when I tried the subs direct on the shelves but I think I can fix this rather easy by picking the air circulation up and possibly adjusting the dry:humid air ratios.

Thanks Wharf!

#8 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:51 PM

That's the craziest flush that I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! I’ve never seen anything like it in my grows for sure. It was just clusters of clusters and even the areas I originally thought weren’t pinning even caught up. It’s so warm I just saw the first pins 3 days ago!

#9 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:05 PM

That's the craziest flush that I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! I’ve never seen anything like it in my grows for sure. It was just clusters of clusters and even the areas I originally thought weren’t pinning even caught up. It’s so warm I just saw the first pins 3 days ago!

Wonderful! When you say blotches are you talking about the caps? Someone told me that it is possible to get droplets from the top of the FC that fall down damaging the caps. I'm not sure about vert... If it was vert I doubt it would be that perfect! Not sure what kind of top/FC you use but consider that.

#10 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:07 PM

the spotting all over the caps, is the blotch i was refering to.. can't be 100% but that's what it looks like to me

i'd still eat them, but might wanna clean up after that one is spent

Edited by wharfrat, 10 February 2020 - 10:09 PM.

#11 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

I actually have another thread where you can see these distinct “scars” on the pins. Some of these caps have spots similar. I was pointed to vert there. Not a perfect fit but seemed reasonable. A lot of what you see in the photos here is just casing soil on the caps, but there does look to be maybe some scars. The pins had the scars on the stems like the other tray which makes sense because it’s all common. I have in tray that is a different sub and different casing run. It should be interesting to see what happens with it.

Nothing is affecting the first flushes so far, but I have been wanting to up my air circulation anyway just on fire feeling.

I have a stealth chamber I built. Easiest way to describe it would be like a mini refrigerator but it’s not. There isn’t really condensation unless it’s just not running well. It needs some maintenance. When it’s fixed I’ll post photos.

#12 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:21 PM

the spotting all over the caps, is the blotch i was refering to.. can't be 100% but that's what it looks like to me

a lot of that on the caps is just casing. But this is what my other thread was talking about. Which seems to fit blotch more than vert. And yeah I can confirm they are edible, they dry fine, etc. The second flushes should be interesting.

Once these trays are done everything is getting a heavy round of disinfecting for sure.

Attached Thumbnails

• FFE80CBD-3602-4468-BCC6-DA1FAE500A88.jpeg

• wharfrat likes this

#13 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,736 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:25 PM

a lot of that on the caps is just casing. But this is what my other thread was talking about. Which seems to fit blotch more than vert. And yeah I can confirm they are edible, they dry fine, etc. The second flushes should be interesting.

Once these trays are done everything is getting a heavy round of disinfecting for sure.

most def.  I meant to post in that thread, but forgot when I had a chance 

• Jrotten likes this

#14 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

We got there anyway! Thank you as always.

Edited by Jrotten, 10 February 2020 - 10:39 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#15 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:39 AM

These tubs despite the blotch, or maybe because of it, have continued to produce beautiful first flushes. I added chlorine to the water in my FC setup, fumigated for 3 minutes and then dropped the temperatures from 77-80 to 70-72 and the fruits are much nicer. Not large, but denser and less leggy. I have the first of the second flushes coming now and it will be interesting to see what that does. I can’t get a direct comparison on weight because I decided to manicure these because I’m sick of vermiculite! This has been a fun grow, but think I’ve decided it’s time to spend more time selecting what to fruit than actually fruiting.

I’m working on an isolate out of this same G2G expansion on agar right now and need to slap a SAB together to make some transfers. I’m curious to see what an isolate either with or without the blotch will do. An isolate of a canopy possibly encouraged to flush by contamination would maybe be cool to see... maybe it’s a foolish endeavor, but it sounds fun.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6E94DF39-36FE-4538-8657-FFD68B12B1EC.jpeg

• FunG likes this

#16 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:55 PM

So just a little update to the bacterial blotch episode:

As it turns out it’s not the scariest thing in the world. It definitely caused massive pinsets and flushes of smaller fruits in the first flush. But I followed a tip I saw in reference to commercial edible farms and figured WTH. I took sodium hypochlorite (pool shock treatment chlorine) and mixed it heavy. Added that to my fogger bucket between flushes and fogged my FC very hard for 8 minutes (random time where I went from brave to nervous) then rinsed my bucket and fogger equipment and went back to normal. I brought the temperature down a bit for a week, got several more nice flushes, and just when I decided The subs were spent, I needed a place to dump some water from a pan cambo experiment... and wound up with these monsters. The bacterial blotch stuck around for maybe the second flush, was mostly gone by the third and there was no hint of it in the fourth “flush.” These were basically 5th flush.

I was planning to bury them yesterday in a very rough outdoor bed experiment, but when I saw what was coming I decided to see how big they’d be. Very gorgeous fruits. I took tissue from the center of the two largest just to see if I could get clones with a rough “in the field” method I wanted to try. Pretty cool.

So bacterial blotch is definitely a manageable “contamination” and I would say if it could be managed at a certain level is actually a beneficial microbe!

Attached Thumbnails

• F5FDE87A-2EE7-4176-809D-1DEFD36504AA.jpeg
  • AEB26CF4-E21B-4FBB-BBBF-63D84FB142BA.jpeg

Edited by Jrotten, 04 March 2020 - 03:56 PM.

#17 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:42 PM

That was beautiful, great clusters. Print from the biggest clusters for better chances on clusters in later grows, if your gonna print from that grow. I hope you keep up the great work.
  • Jrotten likes this

#18 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:39 AM

As you are isolating your genetics, you will be isolating the genetics from the bacteria as well.

• Fungi2b likes this

#19 Jrotten

Jrotten

• Gold VIP
  • 871 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:14 PM

As you are isolating your genetics, you will be isolating the genetics from the bacteria as well.

That’s sort of what I’m wanting to test. Seems like an interesting experiment, though I’ve never actually grown from agar before. I know how to make it and forget about it pretty well though! HA!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!