©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

P.h correction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: P.h correction

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What if anything do you p.h correct?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:56 AM

I'm just wondering how the longtime growers do it nowadays. My old board preached p.h correction and I correct everything with pickle lye am I wasting my time? Or am I protecting from tams and giving my mushies a better environment?

#2 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

P.cubensis do best between 6.2ph and 7ph but seeing as most bulk substrates are ph neutral there is no need to adjust it. If its compost then yes, youd need to tinker with the p.h but horse manure, coir, verm, straw, cow manure etc falls between the recommended ph levels.
  • Fungi2b likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 1,913 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:07 AM

Some composts can be a little acidic but other can be a little basic. They tend to lean on the acidic side so depending on what your composting, you may need to adjust... I typically use manure compost and it tends to be pretty close to 7, typically.

There were a lot of old school growers using things like peat in their substrates and casings... If you are using peat, you will have to adjust the PH since it tends to be acidic. Since it was replaced with with other things like coir, there is less of a need to adjust PH. I have been known to use gypsum in my mix as a PH buffer but it isn't adjusting the PH up or down. The gypsum simply helps the sub to maintain its PH levels longer. The more substrate material that is broken down, the more acidic it becomes...

The metabolites may also have an acidic composition though I am not 100%... Since metabolites have antibacterial properties, they may be alkaline since being acidic would benefit bacteria and other potential contams...

I have very hard water and I feel like that also helps for me to maintain a neutral temperatures since as the substrate ages and becomes more acidic, I am hydrating it with water well above 7 which should be leveling things out a little...

• Fungi2b likes this

#4 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

Thanks guys it sounds like I can cut this step out for everything but my poo when I use it.

#5 sandman

sandman

Lil Skeeter

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,746 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2020 - 03:25 PM

Yea I have pH 8.3+ water and dabbled with adjusting the soak water of my grains to 7 once or twice and didn't find any difference.

• PJammer24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!