Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

10-12 year old spore print, back from the dead, zombie agar!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:28 AM

Thank you very much DocOct. By the time he was able to birth the cakes, he had already lost some to contamination. I think he was too excited and focused on not screwing anything up to have grabbed mycelium while birthing. It would have been a perfect time too. The next day, he went back and grabbed some mycelium from the tray.

The jars were an experiment to see if chemicals could kill the mold but leave some mycelium.

#22 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 05:28 AM

Thank you very much DocOct. By the time he was able to birth the cakes, he had already lost some to contamination. I think he was too excited and focused on not screwing anything up to have grabbed mycelium while birthing. It would have been a perfect time too. The next day, he went back and grabbed some mycelium from the tray.

The jars were an experiment to see if chemicals could kill the mold but leave some mycelium.

strange experiment, i look forward to seeing some successful agar utilization from your friend.

#23 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycophiliac

• Gold VIP
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

Thanks again DocOct, this will probably be the last update to this thread. The scrapings of the white "stuff" that survived the 25% & 50% H2O2/I solution grew out to be mold. The two birthed cakes showed signs of mold forming so they were placed in zip top bags, ripped in 1/2 and had tiny specimens removed from the core. Two specimens from each cake went to agar and one to cardboard. These will be isolated and the mass cleaning of everything will continue.

Hopefully in the very near future, my friend will have some pretty pictures to share instead of this nastiness!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200215_082544-1.jpg

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 16 February 2020 - 10:53 AM.

#24 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:10 PM

Are you certain your cakes contain some mushroom mycelium and that you haven't just been working with mold the entire time? A 10-12 year old spore print can contain viable spores but often times will not IME. Perhaps consider sourcing some fresh spores to get another grow going which will lead to mushrooms while you continue to play the mad scientist with this resurrection project. Either way good luck with it.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!