• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:15 AM

Ok I’m absolutely livid right now and need to vent before I blow up.

For starters never use this product for desiccation , I partially air dried fruits befor I put them in a gasketed plastic tote and went to sleep.

That sh*t absolutly ruined my harvest they are all bruised beyond my comprehension and they are wetter/soggier then when they went in by a rediculus degree. The damp rid soaked absolutly nothing up. I took them out and left the damp rid container in the box with slightly damp paper towel for 8 f**king hours and came back to a slightly damp paper towel just as I left it.

Wtf am I doing something wrong here?, I already chimped out and destroyed the damprid.

I put the f**ked up fruits in a no heat food dehydrator, they look like absolute trash and I’m absolutely furious here.

I’ve never had fruits look this trashed befor and I’m just without words right now. How the f**k does a product marketed as a desiccant not do a f**king thing to remove any moisture?

Edited by DocOct, 12 February 2020 - 12:18 AM.

• sandman likes this

#2 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:17 AM

I would take pictures but my phone is also being a pile of dogsh*t and won’t take photos at all for no god d*mn reason.

Today is f**ked I’m done with it.
  • sandman likes this

#3 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:43 AM

I only use desiccants to take mushrooms from cracker dry to absolutely dry, drying wet mushrooms with a desiccant at atmospheric pressure is very inefficient.

Just a fan would work better.

Your mushrooms likely got moister because the outer surface had dried in air drying and once they were sealed in a box the moisture inside them migrated to the surface.

Calcium chloride is for drying sporeprints and dry mushrooms.

Just don't get it on either.

Calcium chloride will liquefy into an irritating syrup if given enough moist air.

• sandman, PJammer24, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#4 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,732 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:12 AM

I think you have to consider the humidity in your area. For me, no desiccant or dehydrator necessary. Just laid on some paper towel with a couple mini fans for a day or two will do the trick. I placed some with desiccant and some without in long term storage as an accidental test. They are both dry as shit so I really see no difference in this dry climate I live in. And I just use ziplock containers nothing with a tight gasket seal

How dry were the mushrooms when you put them in. You should aim for totally drying them out with the fan method. If your mush are huge and taking long time just pull them apart to speed up drying. 

Edited by flashingrooster, 12 February 2020 - 10:15 AM.

• Thacan likes this

#5 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

Dry with a fan for a day or two and try silica gel as a desiccant.

#6 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

Was it one of those closet hanging bags? Did it have a type of bag attached to it? If so it must be kept hanging upright or it leaks.

#7 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

Yea you don't want to dry straight away with the damprid. Your mushrooms will turn black and probably rot before they get close to dry. Im talking at least a week or two to dry that way.

Posted by me in 2010

Dry at the highest setting your dehydrator will go, always. There is no loss in potency.

If you are needing to use desiccant than you are not drying hot enough or long enough. And desiccant dried shrooms are butt ugly, they usually turn very dark.

Edited by sandman, 12 February 2020 - 11:31 AM.

• mushit, adrian118, ElPirana and 2 others like this

#8 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

Now that I think about it on your other thread I remember seeing the damprid in your harvest pic and meant to say something to you about it but i forgot. 

#9 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I too once ruined 14g's of caps trying the damprid tutorial. That was a big pffft!

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

Damp rid, if used at all, is probably most useful in long term storage situations or in situations where you are in a humid area and getting them cracker dry with a fan is nearly impossible.

• mushit and Juthro like this

#11 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

Yea you don't want to dry straight away with the damprid. Your mushrooms will turn black and probably rot before they get close to dry. Im talking at least a week or two to dry that way.

Posted by me in 2010

Dry at the highest setting your dehydrator will go, always. There is no loss in potency.

If you are needing to use desiccant than you are not drying hot enough or long enough. And desiccant dried shrooms are butt ugly, they usually turn very dark.

There may be no loss in potency, but i have had them take on a burnt appearance after drying them too hot in the past

#12 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

Lay a box fan on its side and put a window screen on it and use that to dry if you can't get a dehydrator

#13 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

If you do what Fungi2b just said with the box fan, you can also sit a space heater beside the fan and make a ghetto dehydrator. A fan alone will not dry mushrooms cracker dry in my humidity.

• Fungi2b likes this

#14 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:05 PM

In front of fan for a couple days gets mine snapping dry. Then a couple more days in my damp-rid chamber gets them to the point of the dryest thing I've ever eaten. Hope this helps.
  • mushit likes this

#15 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,252 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:34 PM

Ya.  Same here. 

I basically use Damp Rid for long term storage, not to dry them out. 

It doesn't take much Damp Rid for this.

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!