23 replies to this topic

#1 2shrooms

2shrooms

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:49 AM

Good morning!
I just harvested 2nd flush from my first grow kit (B+). An article I read on the blueing feature of the shrooms suggested that the blueing was decomposing psilocybin.. but they wouldn’t know the reason for the blueing for sure. Does anybody here know the reason?
Second I would like to know if the the blueing is indeed decomposing of psilocybin because occasionally I cut off a shroom ready to pop its cap to not harm the smaller ones grouping around it in bulks. Has the cut off shroom now lost all its psilocybin because it was cut off instead of plugged out? How best to harvest them?
Thank you for any info on that.

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,069 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:20 AM

The actual chemistry of the blueing reaction is not really known. It is suspected that the bruised or broken edge's are exposing the psilocin molecules to oxygen and it then oxidizes the molecules. The blue color may give some indication of the potency, but I really don't believe you can reduce the potency of the entire mushroom by bruising or snipping them at the base to an amount that would be noticeable.

The blue is soluble in water, and adding ascorbic acid when you make a tea converts the psilocybin to psilocin, increasing the effects quite a bit.

I'll let some of the experts here handle the pluck vs cut question...............................

• PJammer24, Oneyedraven, macgyver and 1 other like this

#3 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

Ascorbic acid is vitamin c if you were wondering.
The blu is oxidized psilo (like how a copper penny turns green) you will not affect your fruit by cutting but I suggest not due to leaving material behind to rot.
To harvest gently twist back and forth while pulling that should get you the whole stipe
  • 2shrooms likes this

#4 2shrooms

2shrooms

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

Thank you for this take on the blueing and potency relation!
Looking forward to the plug vs. cut opinions...

#5 2shrooms

2shrooms

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

Ascorbic acid is vitamin c if you were wondering.
The blu is oxidized psilo (like how a copper penny turns green) you will not affect your fruit by cutting but I suggest not due to leaving material behind to rot.
To harvest gently twist back and forth while pulling that should get you the whole stipe

The cutting I only did after the first flush. I figured that the material left behind might pose a risk for rotting. Luckily it grew over with a furry fungi carpet followed by new shrooms. After a second flush I took off every fruit component from the cake. I dunked it in water and chilled it a little. Hopefully to make it bloom a third time.
Thank you for advise!

#6 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

Def pull not cut the material you leave behind will rot during the next flush.
  • 2shrooms likes this

#7 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

I have always done the opposite. I have always used a sharp exacto knife and cut at the base to harvest. I have always felt like this allows the substrate to remain undamaged and helps the primordia health for the subsequent flush. I have never experienced the remaining material to rot or cause detrimental effects to my grows, rather it often grows more mycelium fuzz as experienced by 2shrooms.

That said, a lot of people tend to pull the whole stipe and there’s nothing wrong if you prefer doing so.
  • Fungi2b and 2shrooms like this

#8 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:17 PM

I have always done the opposite. I have always used a sharp exacto knife and cut at the base to harvest. I have always felt like this allows the substrate to remain undamaged and helps the primordia health for the subsequent flush. I have never experienced the remaining material to rot or cause detrimental effects to my grows, rather it often grows more mycelium fuzz as experienced by 2shrooms.
That said, a lot of people tend to pull the whole stipe and there’s nothing wrong if you prefer doing so.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I got a ? For you bud say you have a great 1st flush and cut them all. Does that limit the area that your 2nd flush can grow from (due to the left over "stumps")?
  • ElPirana and 2shrooms like this

#9 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I got a ? For you bud say you have a great 1st flush and cut them all. Does that limit the area that your 2nd flush can grow from (due to the left over "stumps")?

I haven’t noticed any issues, they always find ways to grow. I’ve had a number of monotubs where the first flush is so full that I literally cannot get my fingers or a knife in to cut out the first few fruits, I would have to remove the polyfil and insert the knife through one of the holes in the side of the tub or pull the entire substrate out of the tub (didn’t prefer this). There was always untouched portions of sub for new growth. And I think a lot of times new growth grows over a lot of the tiny pins that abort.
  • 2shrooms likes this

#10 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:51 PM

Do you think you would get a bigger 2nd flush if they had more area?
  • 2shrooms likes this

#11 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:01 PM

Do you think you would get a bigger 2nd flush if they had more area?

That’s a good question....maybe yes. Something I noticed was that the fruits would generally get larger on each subsequent flush. By the fourth or fifth flush, there would be far fewer fruits, but much larger in size. Maybe you’re onto something here. I’m surely no expert, I just happened to have grown a lot and can look back on what has worked for me and see what trends have occurred. It would be interesting to get some more inputs on this.
  • 2shrooms likes this

#12 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

Naturally they get bigger each flush no matter if you pull or cut. But maybe you would get more of them if the sub wasn't covered in stumps. I gotta pull mine because I typically do dubs and when you get 4 or 5 clusters like this on a flush it covers 75% of my sub.
IMAG0734.jpg.c1e5e5fa48c8499bedcb09a869ff1360.jpg

#13 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

Naturally they get bigger each flush no matter if you pull or cut. But maybe you would get more of them if the sub wasn't covered in stumps. I gotta pull mine because I typically do dubs and when you get 4 or 5 clusters like this on a flush it covers 75% of my sub.

Hey man since you’re growing again, would you consider taking a single tub and try cutting the fruits, even from the big ass clusters? See what actually happens and compare to your other tubs?

Oh and looking at your photo, that’s not representative to what I leave (not sure if that’s your intention or if you’re just trying to show the size of the clusters.). I cut the fruits flush with the top of the substrate.
  • Fungi2b and 2shrooms like this

#14 2shrooms

2shrooms

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:09 PM

When I cut them I cut as close to the substrate as possible. Luckily the stumps grew over with a flurry fuzz and were overgrown by new fungi. No rot... The substrate was never totally overgrown by shrooms so the question of unnecessary occupied space so far did not occur to me. However, Thank You for this input. I will definitely make use of what you said when initiating my first full on home grown!
  • ElPirana and Fungi2b like this

#15 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:16 PM

Hey man since you’re growing again, would you consider taking a single tub and try cutting the fruits, even from the big ass clusters? See what actually happens and compare to your other tubs?
Oh and looking at your photo, that’s not representative to what I leave (not sure if that’s your intention or if you’re just trying to show the size of the clusters.). I cut the fruits flush with the top of the substrate.
Yea I'm always into comparing stuff and I was saying that with a few clusters like that in a dub tub basically leaves very lil room for new mush to come up but im reading that primorida will form over the stumps is that what you guys are saying? So new mush will grow over the stumps?

#16 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

Primordia certainly can form over the stumps left behind and I have seen this. I've even seen primordia form from the stipe of an invitro fruit.

That being said what i usually get from the stumps is they get some kind of mucous around them. Not sure if this is bacterial or a defense mechanism of the fungi itself.

I've always been a twist and pull kind of guy and can do it without damaging the sub very much at all in most cases.

I tried cutting for several dubtubs and concluded twist and pull works best in my environment.
  • ElPirana, Fungi2b and 2shrooms like this

#17 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 552 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

Found a picture of the pins forming on an aborted fruit (left side) As i recall those primordia fromed right out of the stem of an abort which was left on the cake.

gallery_150062_1561_697622.jpg

Never saw it before or since.
  • ElPirana, Fungi2b and 2shrooms like this

#18 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:45 PM

So do you think it's rare to get mush growing on stumps? I never saw it but I'm not a "cutter".

#19 2shrooms

2shrooms

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

I observed some kind of mucus too especially around some smaller shrooms growing in the region around the cut stumps. That made me a little suspicious and I decided to proceed rather with the twist and plug method. Although the little mucus I found turned blueish ofter harvesting. The fuzzy stuff growing over or even from within the stumps possibly was primordia? Possibly, when touched, the primordia becomes mucus. Just an idea as I haven’t seen mucus BEFORE I touched them to harvest them...

#20 Fungi2b

Fungi2b

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

Maybe it's breaking down? Maybe the myc eats it?
  • 2shrooms likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!