• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

Has anyone found one place over another that sells quantity’s of Rye reasonable?

#2 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 864 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

Health food stores and bulk food barns....look them up and call in, dont walk in and expect them to have it or you'll end up doing alot of unesscary travelling as I found out.

As far as retail chains it varies from city to city, province to province....I dont know of any major retailers offering rye grain.

#3 Moosecaboose

Moosecaboose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:26 PM

Depends on your location. I get mine from a local farm close by, 50 lbs at .30 cents a pound. I used to buy it from the honeyville website which is 50 bucks for a 50lbs bag w/ free shipping.

#4 tcg

tcg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

FoodToLive.com is the company that makes what I'm using right now; surprisingly I found it through walmart.com and paid a great price for the 10lb bags.  I was also surprised at how clean it was when I rinsed it.  

#5 Thacan

Thacan

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

I have purchase this through Amazon in the past and had very good experience with them...

Rye Berries, 10 Pound Box

by D'allesandro

Cost is $17.25 for 10 lb.

Edited by Thacan, 27 February 2020 - 01:11 PM.

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:32 PM

The best place to get bulk grains, IME, is animal feed stores... They will typically special order the grain you are looking for. I have found that the stores around me always have rye but have not had the wheat berries or milo I have inquired about in the past.

I would think that any store selling grains for human consumption would be significantly more expensive.

Depending which feed store I go to, the rye is typically between $20-$30 for 50 lb where I am...

#7 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

I have found a cheap source which mills grains in bulk for bread/baking purposes, they also sell whole grains. 20 bucks for 55 lbs of rye including shipment. Very happy to have found that one because buying in small quantities is expensive!

I don't live in the US so I can't hook you up with a link but I guess you can find a store that sells stuff for that purpose as well. Just another possibility other than animal feed stores.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 27 February 2020 - 04:44 PM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#8 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

I have switched to whole oats from the local tractor supply $14/50lbs.
  • PJammer24 and RutgerHauer like this

#9 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

i get mine at natural grocers, i usually go in and have them order me 25 2lb bags its 1.75 per bag.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!