• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:33 PM

So a week or so i posted some agar plates. I’m sure people noticed there was only 9-10.

When I PC my liquid a large majority of the agar liquid solidified.

Can anyone shed some light on what I might of done wrong. It was a premixed M.E.A powder. Instructions said 780ml/38g.

Edited by Choices, 13 February 2020 - 09:42 PM.

#2 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:27 PM

How hot was it? Agar melts with heat and solidifies at room temperature. You can melt it in a microwave. You can remelt it.

#3 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:27 PM

Agar is suppose to solidify by design after cooling. I take it that you are saying it was solidified while still hot? Usually people have issues getting it to solidify so I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. It is possible that you  need to mix it better or more consistently I should say, the bottom of the cooking vessel may have more agar at the bottom thus solidifying on the lower half and remaining a liquid on the upper half. You could also cut that formula the instructions gave in half to give better results. Most common recipes use approx 10g MEA, 10gr Agar powder to 1 liter of water give or take. 780ml/38gr is roughly double off what we do for our hobby.

Edited by Ripples, 13 February 2020 - 10:28 PM.

#4 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:28 PM

15 psi 30 mins. Not sure hot hot that is. Shit I could of just heated it up.

#5 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

You do have to pour it into the Petri dishes while hot, Sorry if I am misunderstanding. It does need to be sterilized and 15 psi is roughly 250f depending on your elevation.

#6 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:34 PM

Agar is suppose to solidify by design after cooling. I take it that you are saying it was solidified while still hot? Usually people have issues getting it to solidify so I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. It is possible that you need to mix it better or more consistently I should say, the bottom of the cooking vessel may have more agar at the bottom thus solidifying on the lower half and remaining a liquid on the upper half. You could also cut that formula the instructions gave in half to give better results. Most common recipes use approx 10g MEA, 10gr Agar powder to 1 liter of water give or take. 780ml/38gr is roughly double off what we do for our hobby.

When I was weighing it out I thought it looked /felt like A LOT.

Yes it solidified while hot, took out of PC and half was liquid. I’m not sure of the ratio of L/S but almost like a caburry egg hard outer shell soft inside.
  • Ripples likes this

#7 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:35 PM

You do have to pour it into the Petri dishes while hot, Sorry if I am misunderstanding. It does need to be sterilized and 15 psi is roughly 250f depending on your elevation.

Yes it was the time from my PC to SAB and poured. But it partially solidified in the PC.

Edited by Choices, 13 February 2020 - 10:37 PM.

#8 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

Hmmn, I would suggest swirling around before pouring and or cutting the recipe in half. You kinda have to do it a few times and get the hang of it. Don't attempt the microwave unless you want to be scrubbing out the appliance.

#9 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:47 PM

I should of took a picture it was also my second attempt first time I used to hot of water and it solidified almost instantly. Could the powder be bad?? I think my next attempt I’m going to purchase separate ingredients and make it my self. Purchased from a site called outgrow.

#10 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:49 PM

Is also like to say AGAIN this site is amazing. What a community and the few post that I’ve had the opportunity to go back n fourth with a few people good people glad I found this place.

#11 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:53 PM

Are you running the PC on the highest heat possible? Does the rocker sound like freight train driving by? It there is to much steam escaping or if the PC is running dry you may be burning the agar. The rocker just needs to be a steady hiss to maintain 15psi. After reaching pressure the PC can be turned to low and still keep temp. I'm not sure that's the problem but we are considering everything right?

#12 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:53 PM

Hmmn, I would suggest swirling around before pouring and or cutting the recipe in half. You kinda have to do it a few times and get the hang of it. Don't attempt the microwave unless you want to be scrubbing out the appliance.

Yea totally shook the hell out of it and some of it would solidify while i was doing that so I cut my losses and poured what I could.

On a side note, I only used some of the dishes they are re stored in the bag they came in and stored in my “things” fridge that is weekly wiped down with bleach. Can I re use or do i have to sterilize them? And if the latter how do I do that, PC?

#13 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:58 PM

Are you running the PC on the highest heat possible? Does the rocker sound like freight train driving by? It there is to much steam escaping or if the PC is running dry you may be burning the agar. The rocker just needs to be a steady hiss to maintain 15psi. After reaching pressure the PC can be turned to low and still keep temp. I'm not sure that's the problem but we are considering everything right?

When i did the first run i used very hot water and it solidified. If there was not enough water in PC that could burn it?

PC has three(3) settings 10-15-30 and vents appropriately.

#14 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:09 PM

Even if you didn't mix the agar well to begin with it will boil in the PC and help mix it up with the exception being solid chunks that you started off with. Like when you try to add flour to hot water to make gravy and end up with dumplings. It's hard to pinpoint what is causing this without seeing the whole process. Absolutely not enough water in the PC could burn it. Was there any water left at the bottom of the PC when you opened it? I don't mean like a lil puddle but like an inch or two of water? Wait are you using one of those "Instapots"? How do you change the PSI setting? It should have different weighted rockers and if it is a plastic knob then I see and new pressure cooker in your future.

#15 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:16 PM

Your agar agar levels are to high and I had to be in a precipitated state even when hot due to over saturation.

Nock it back your mix amount by 33% and you should be fine.

Do us a favor and post what ratios you used so it can be adjusted better.

#16 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:32 PM

Even if you didn't mix the agar well to begin with it will boil in the PC and help mix it up with the exception being solid chunks that you started off with. Like when you try to add flour to hot water to make gravy and end up with dumplings. It's hard to pinpoint what is causing this without seeing the whole process. Absolutely not enough water in the PC could burn it. Was there any water left at the bottom of the PC when you opened it? I don't mean like a lil puddle but like an inch or two of water? Wait are you using one of those "Instapots"? How do you change the PSI setting? It should have different weighted rockers and if it is a plastic knob then I see and new pressure cooker in your future.

Not an insta pot. Yes there was water left 750ml bottle on it side with water half way up lower portion. ecee4e7a74acd18f533a1b16823666fb.jpg

#17 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:36 PM

I have a glass top stove or i would of got an “All American” I’m am def open to suggestions of a better PC that works on a glass cooktop. That won’t break cooktop and out me in the dog house so to speak. It’s PC jars, LC’s ok I’ve had no contamination due to poor sterilization.

#18 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 6,969 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:39 PM

What is your recipe and procedure - as simply as possible.

If the recipe is "gelling" in the Pressure Cooker, something is amiss.

#19 Choices

Choices

Mycophage

• Black VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:43 PM

What is your recipe and procedure - as simply as possible.

If the recipe is "gelling" in the Pressure Cooker, something is amiss.

Weight out 38g to 750ml water
Mix thoroughly
Add to PC vessel
PC 15psi/30
Remove vessel
Cool for handling
Pour to dishes in SAB

I agree something is a miss. I’m wondering if it’s the pre mix M.E A used was bad ???
  • Myc likes this

#20 Jrotten

Jrotten

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:00 AM

I really feel like it just cooled too long after pc. When it’s in a large vessel it doesn’t solidify instantly or uniformly. It takes several minutes for that to happen and doesn’t necessarily just skin over on top. The recipe could be off or the agar could be bad, but the most likely scenario is just that it started to set before it was poured. Were you monitoring the temperature?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!