• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:27 AM

I really feel like it just cooled too long after pc. When it’s in a large vessel it doesn’t solidify instantly or uniformly. It takes several minutes for that to happen and doesn’t necessarily just skin over on top. The recipe could be off or the agar could be bad, but the most likely scenario is just that it started to set before it was poured. Were you monitoring the temperature?

I am getting new ingredients and will try again. I need to find a more manageable vessel I used a apple cider vinegar bottle but I need something more short and stout and easily pourable.

How soon after it’s PC’d should it be poured. Like when it manageable right.

#22 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:28 AM

What is your recipe and procedure - as simply as possible.

If the recipe is "gelling" in the Pressure Cooker, something is amiss.

Weight out 38g to 750ml water
Mix thoroughly
Add to PC vessel
PC 15psi/30
Remove vessel
Cool for handling
Pour to dishes in SAB

I agree something is a miss. I’m wondering if it’s the pre mix M.E A used was bad ???

There's your problem.

20 grams of agar per liter of water.

38 grams per 750 ml seems a bit much.

You should also heat the water on the stove and add the agar prior to PC'ing.

I notice also that you have no sugar source - DME, dextrose, potatoes, etc. This will be a problem.

Edited by Myc, 14 February 2020 - 12:30 AM.

#23 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:29 AM

I thought the same thing when I was weighing it out.

#24 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:36 AM

Ok I microwaved water and added to 1000ml beaker mixed and then added to PC vessel. Next time in will heat on stove instead. And mix more and add les powder.

#25 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:58 AM

Not sure if it helps since I use jars but I do a 'no pour' agar. Mix together 1 tbl MEA and 1 tbl powder agar.
In a 1/2 pint wide mouth, 20ml water, 1/2 tsp mix.
In a 1/4 pint regular mouth, 10ml water, 1/4 tsp mix.
Put lids on jars, gently tighten rings, PC 15 psi at 30 min.
Some people let them cool overnight in the PC. If I can't do that, when the PC has depressurized, I cluster the jars right side up on a cookie cooling rack. As soon as they have cooled enough not to melt it, I put a heating pad set on high on top of the jars. After 10 min turn to med, 10 more to low. When the agar sets, I flip them onto their lids on the heating pad on low for 10 more. It seems to reduce the condensation when I'm trying to get multiple PC runs in.

Good luck!

#26 Ripples

Ripples

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

Mix thoroughly
Add to PC vessel
PC 15psi/30
Remove vessel
Cool for handling
Pour to dishes in SAB

I agree something is a miss. I’m wondering if it’s the pre mix M.E A used was bad ???

There's your problem.

I notice also that you have no sugar source - DME, dextrose, potatoes, etc. This will be a problem.

The sugar source is Malt extract. Its a premixed MEA from out grow.

I still think that the mixture can be cut but if the OP is waiting for it to cool enough to be handled with the unprotected hand, that could also be the problem. I have to use a freshly cleaned oven mitt or at the very least at clean wash cloth to pour while the agar is hot. Even then if I am to slow the agar starts to cool while I'm working and do exactly what the OP is describing.

#27 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

This is my go-to procedure:

https://mycotopia.ne...s-banzai-style/

• Choices and YoshiTrainer like this

#28 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:23 PM

Mix thoroughly
Add to PC vessel
PC 15psi/30
Remove vessel
Cool for handling
Pour to dishes in SAB

There's your problem.

The sugar source is Malt extract. Its a premixed MEA from out grow.

I still think that the mixture can be cut but if the OP is waiting for it to cool enough to be handled with the unprotected hand, that could also be the problem. I have to use a freshly cleaned oven mitt or at the very least at clean wash cloth to pour while the agar is hot. Even then if I am to slow the agar starts to cool while I'm working and do exactly what the OP is describing.

Are you using a SAB or FH? If I had a FH i feel I could pour it sooner, working in a SAB and having a hot liquid in there fogs up. I think I’m going to start searching around for tek on how to build my own. I’m thinking a 24x12” or 24x24” would be more than adequate. Or my next round of plates is to give BB tek a go seems simple enough

I wish i could somehow multi use my Fume Hood I made for doing extract work in the cannabis field. But in fear it a frivolous endeavor for I need to go from suck to blow (insert spaceballs quote here) and would have to somehow insert a HEPA filter.

#29 Jrotten

Jrotten

Bedazzled and Bewildered

• Gold VIP
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:09 PM

You can also do no pour. I am currently with my hood packed up. Just mix the agar, pour it into small canning jars (I use smooth sided 4oz jelly jars). PC the jars, tighten the lids afterwards. There are teks for “no pour agar”
  • Choices likes this

#30 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

I use a flowhood now - but prior to building it I used a still-air glovebox. My laminar workspace is 50" wide by 30" tall.

The glovebox made my back hurt after hunching over in an awkward manner. For that reason, I spent a few $$$ and reverse engineered some laboratory apparatus to create the tool which I currently posses. In total, my project cost me somewhere around $350 in materials but it had payed dividends  -- I don't normally share but I do light commercial level microbiological stuff. The flowhood, properly cared for and respected, can last for decades of periodic use. I never saw the potential until one day............

Edited by Myc, 15 February 2020 - 10:42 AM.

#31 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:52 PM

My concern with the whole thing is the filter thickness. There are all Sorts of thicknesses. And size of cabinet, how much space behind filter or it doesn’t matter?

#32 Jrotten

Jrotten

Bedazzled and Bewildered

• Gold VIP
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:48 PM

My concern with the whole thing is the filter thickness. There are all Sorts of thicknesses. And size of cabinet, how much space behind filter or it doesn’t matter?

Mine is 24”x24”x12” deep. 10” behind the filter for a plenum to build even pressure. That one Myc has is amazing, but 24x24 is enough to do hobby level number of plates, G2G in quarts, etc in comfort and confidence.

1 sheet of 3/4” plywood, fan, filter a handful of short deck screws and 3 tubes of silicone caulk is all you need. A light switch and an outlet box or a speed controller are all add on’s you might consider that wouldn’t cost another $20. You’ll need a saw or cut the wood to size at the store if you can and a light hand drill and a caulking gun. Mine is not nearly as pretty as myc’s but it took around 6-8 hours of unskilled labor to build. It’s loud though. Be aware of that

Edited by Jrotten, 14 February 2020 - 11:49 PM.

#33 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

So I found a filter 24x24x12 with .8 wg. Also found a blower Dayton 1TDT8 looks like @.8 I’ll have 392cfm/low and 500/high with a pre filter I should obtain laminar flow correct. This post morphed into FH specs and I’m sure there is a proper place my apologies for that but my head is spinning and just need someone to talk me down from the ledge. Hahah

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!