To place this in larger context:

The long-term consequences of COVID-19 include increased risk of:

Heart disease https://nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01689-3

Kidney disease https://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/32/11/2851

and now diabetes https://thelancet.com/journals/landi

https://twitter.com/...052215240286212

The diabetes data came out yesterday: https://www.thelance...0044-4/fulltext

Dr. Al-Aly adds:

The absolute numbers may look small (1-4%), but they translate into millions of affected people in the US and many more around the world. This will cause a rise in the burden of cardiometabolic disease globally

Edited by riseabovethought, 11 May 2022 - 01:44 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#2143 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 04:05 PM

seems indeed that chance plays a part

this does little to build trust in vaccines: 

"Pfizer recalls blood pressure drugs including Accuretic for cancer risk due to nitrosamine"

"Pfizer is recalling multiple blood pressure medications due to elevated levels of nitrosamine, which can increase the risk of cancer.

The company said it is voluntarily recalling six lots of Accuretic tablets that it distributed, one lot of quinapril and hydrochlorothiazide tablets and four lots of quinapril HCl/ hydrochlorothiazide tablets, because the level of nitrosamine was above the acceptable daily intake."

continues at:

https://news.yahoo.c...-024738829.html

#2144 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:19 PM

.                       sulforaphane

“Chemical found in leafy greens shown to slow growth of COVID-19 and common cold viruses”

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/03/220323125056.htm

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sulforaphane+benefits&t=h_&ia=web

[Direct Link]

[Direct Link]

Edited by shiftingshadows, 23 March 2022 - 05:21 PM.

#2145 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2022 - 07:45 PM

A healthy diet makes for healthy people, and they are more resistant to getting sick, but I don't see it as a replacement for the vaccine.

• TVCasualty, shiftingshadows and RiseUp like this

#2146 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,396 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2022 - 02:44 PM

I hesitate to join ANY conversation about Covid these days, but figured I'd pop in & share my experience:

October 2020 - got the OG rona with no symptoms, while the wife was tired AF for a week and sore all over.

November 2020 - Thought I was dying / heart exploding - it was / is myocarditis, something that wasn't really on the radar at the time.  Docs all said I was good to go and sent me home.  I can no longer ingest caffeine in any form or it all comes back.

Got double - vaxxed (Moderna) and boosted.  Every shot was a day or two of recuperation, but I'm doing my part, right?

January 13 2022 - popped positive on a rapid test when I had sniffles on a Monday morning.  I thought "sweet, now I get to take like a week off work with a mild cold!"

January 14 2022 - on the couch, taking antique percocets every four hours just to feel slightly human.  This lasted for an entire week.

April 13 2022 - still have the brain fog, myocarditis, overall sense of malaise and ugh, which may or may not be this vague "long Covid" we hear of ... but there's no treatment for it anyway, so who gives a flying fuck.

April 13 2022 - got two PCs rolling on the stove - Soliver is gonna self-medicate out of this one way or another.

I'm hoping some serious dendrite-expanding evenings will reconnect my head to myself - can't hurt, may help.

I'm skipping my second booster, as the natural immunity I've got from January HAS to be better than whatever Moderna is putting in those jabs.  Fucking 'Rona twice in two goddam years, but I'm still rollin' ...

Eat right, exercise, go about your business and hope for the best is all I've got to suggest.  If you haven't been down with the sickness yet, I'd also suggest you not throw away those expired opiates, as that's the only thing that allowed me to get off the couch to use the bathroom or shower ...

:)

soliver

Edited by Soliver, 13 April 2022 - 02:46 PM.

• TVCasualty, Myc, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#2147 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2022 - 09:06 AM

Damn, sorry to hear you've been dealing with all that.

I'm skipping my second booster, as the natural immunity I've got from January HAS to be better than whatever Moderna is putting in those jabs.  Fucking 'Rona twice in two goddam years, but I'm still rollin' ...

It is, and not acknowledging the data that supports this has been an ongoing policy fuckup for more than a year (the following is from April of 2021):

Protection from natural immunity in follow-up of over 25,000 healthcare workers: If you've had covid, there's an 84% lower risk of (re)infection for at least 7 months. 93% reduction in symptomatic infections. No effect of B.1.1.7. All good! New

Vaccine and booster mandates didn't acknowledge immunity from prior infections which meant a lot of people were unnecessarily over-vaccinated while others couldn't get any shots at all. They still don't as far as I'm aware.

• Soliver likes this

#2148 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2022 - 03:40 PM

Dropping the Federal transportation mask mandate is a terrible idea right now. Thanks a bunch to the idiot "Judge," a completely unqualified T**** appointee in Florida (of course).

Positivity ratios rising again in South Afirca. Superimposing variant frequencies, it is clear that this is the predicted effect of BA.4 & BA.5 (here I plotted case nrs, but correcting for testing intensity, ie as if the same, max nr of tests would have been performed every day)

https://twitter.com/...078189998284801

Image from post linked above won't embed, it shows a graph of variants and spikes for last two years.

That said, reinstating the mandate would be a terrible idea too right now, but only for political reasons because of what's at stake in the upcoming midterms.

For public health reasons (and based on the data) it would be the right thing to do, which I say because I want the pandemic to end for real, not just be ignored (potentially allowing a variant to emerge that is both more contagious and more virulent).

#2149 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 03:36 PM

Meanwhile....

"  ‘Potentially devastating’: Climate crisis may fuel future pandemics....‘Zoonotic spillovers’ expected to rise ..."

"As the planet heats up, many animal species will be forced to move into new areas to find suitable conditions. They will bring their parasites and pathogens with them, causing them to spread between species that haven’t interacted before. " ...“As the world changes, the face of disease will change too,” said Gregory Albery, an expert in disease ecology at Georgetown University and co-author of the paper, published in Nature. "

and also

" Peter Daszak, president of EcoHealth Alliance, a nonprofit that works on pandemic prevention, said that while human interference in landscapes has been understood as a disease risk for a while, the new research represents a “critical step forward” in the understanding of how climate change will fuel the spread of viruses.

“What’s even more concerning is that we may already be in this process – something I didn’t expect and a real wake-up call for public health,” 

if interested full article here:

https://www.theguard...notic-spillover

and of course this highlights that not only is Putin a brutal sadist, but also a monumental fool.

Like wise E. Musk & the other very clever super rich guys, are once again shown to be devoid of any wisdom or heart; not that it ever made any sense to expect any different from the lot of them

and as reported at:

https://news.yahoo.c...-090342488.html

...“Of particular note is that the study indicates that these encounters may already be happening with greater frequency and in places near where many people live,” Bernstein said.

Study co-author Gregory Albery, a disease ecologist at Georgetown University, said that because climate-driven infectious disease emergence is likely already happening, the world should be doing more to learn about and prepare for it."....

Edited by shiftingshadows, 28 April 2022 - 04:01 PM.

#2150 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2022 - 11:55 AM

Yeah the fun never stops.

It was already getting tough to address the looming existential threat of climate change thanks to the pandemic jumping to the top of most governments' geopolitical to-do list, now we've got WWIII taking over the top spot and sucking all the attention and resources away from both.

COVID has become (and is still) the 3rd leading cause of death in the US, lest we forget.

War makes pandemics and climate change worse (coal is making a huge comeback right now), and rebuilding after a major war has a staggering carbon footprint so will continue to accelerate the buildup of atmospheric CO2 precisely when we need to cut it as drastically as possible, if not more so: https://www.theatlan...ge-2050/629691/

So we seem to be trapped in a negative feedback loop as climate change inspires wars for resources (which i believe the war in Ukraine to be an example of) that in turn exacerbate climate change while also exposing us to new pathogens with pandemic potential that could become even more geopolitically destabilizing and deadly than COVID (inspiring new wars, and so on).

I get the impression that what we're seeing play out at the moment is what getting stopped by the  "Great Filter" looks like.

Passing through it and reaching the stars is probably a test of both consciousness and luck, and while we've gotten relatively lucky over the past few millennia, we're clearly failing the 'consciousness' section of the test. I'd be really curious to know how we're doing compared to our counterparts on other planets. It would be ironic  if after going to all the trouble that once a civilization passes through the Filter, it probably just ends up hiding in the Dark Forest.

#2151 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the interesting links. I enjoyed them.

"It would be ironic  if after going to all the trouble..."

As regards irony, I think it might have amused Hitchens, that it took a monster like Putin to protect E. Snowden, from the "Christian bastion of freedom & democracy" : the USA.

And, seems, it's an ironic comment on not just the US, but many of the other governments pretending to be democracies.

Of course there are multiple reasons why it played out this way.

Never the less, with the war going on, it makes an image in my mind, with stark contrasts.

Meanwhile of course, seems, everyone (in the West & Christian countries) likes to forget about Guantanamo Bay Prison....

But it's probably not forgotten in some other places...

Edited by shiftingshadows, 01 May 2022 - 12:43 PM.

#2152 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2022 - 12:58 PM

*Archive Material.

I wonder if this thread represents one of the most honest discussions on the topic, available anywhere.  I even wonder if TV could publish this discussion one day, just because of its girth of data points in real time during our American Pandemic experience.  Our American perspective might be worth a look when the dust settles, since there was the most death here, and since we were actually supposed to be the best prepared of any country for this sort of thing, prior to it actually happening.  People in the future will want to know how we dealt with this Pandemic so poorly, so recklessly, so thoughtlessly, and so inconsiderately.  We still dont even have healthcare in America at the tail- end of this Pandemic that killed and maimed so many of us.  We just cant stop fucking this up every step of the way.  

#2153 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2022 - 01:16 PM

I'm glad to see you came full circle, Rise.  It was just a few short weeks ago you were threatening to delete posts here that didn't discuss growing mushrooms, but now you think this is archive material....

While I think it is an amazingly interesting topic, IMHO I'm not sure it's archive material worthy for a mushroom site, but I bet it could offer some valuable insight to anthropologists long after we're gone.  Assuming there is anyone left by that time.

So how about that bird flu?  There have been a few crossover case to humans.....  Pandemic 2.0?

#2154 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2022 - 09:36 PM

*Archive Material.

Well that's cool, I haven't seen that phrase in a long time.

I've gone back through it too and I agree it is a fascinating chronicle of how it went, in real-time as it was happening.

That said, we may not ever get around to archiving it if the pandemic never actually ends. 

We don't yet know about the immune escape of BA.2.12.1, the emerging US variant on a path to dominance. Hopefully, it is less than BA.4 and BA.5, but hard to compare without a BA.2 wave in South Africa and differences in testing. Major differences in mutations

https://twitter.com/...153791113932800

Original tweet has a graph of new confirmed cases in SA and the US. They're both rising modestly (for now), but rising again. I guess they quit giving new variants names from the Greek alphabet.

It's probably time for a 4th shot, assuming one has had the first three:

Yet a booster shot reduces mortality by 75-90% for people age 50+

booster.jpeg

https://twitter.com/...685479939444736

#2155 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2022 - 03:14 PM

What if mushrooms are more relevant to this Pandemic than anyone wants to admit? Vitamin D deficiency alone accounted for a huge number of preventable deaths so what about mushrooms as a missed source of Vitamin D, at a time when it could have made ALL the difference in the world for those who found themselves too low in crucial Vitamin D, at the worst time.

Besides millions of Pandemic deaths, suicide has run rampant, and so has OD deaths, much of which is driven by major depression. Stress from pandemic related financial collapses, both big and small, has pushed people to their cognitive limits and some have broken under the pressure. Mushrooms can serve an important role if one can develop some independent skills. Reset and go again.

Maybe mushrooms arent the whole solution, but they could be part of a complex solution. We all know if the general public knew a little of what the mushroom has taught us, the Pandemic could have been an opportunity for rebirth. A new better system could still possibly emerge, but unfortunately it feels more like sliding back into conformity and complacency is just too convenient to pass up.

Edited by riseabovethought, 06 May 2022 - 06:43 PM.

#2156 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,303 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2022 - 05:57 PM

Mushrooms are more relevant to the pandemic then anyone wants to admit..... ?

I'm not even close to being sold, but you go boy.

#2157 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 10:22 PM

Tim Leary on the positive side informed vast numbers of folks on the positives

of psychedelics; but also did great harm - even to himself & his family - due

perhaps mainly, to over enthusiasm, and haste.

#2158 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 03:36 PM

Anyone here had or will soon be getting a 4th shot?

Vax booster efficacy seems to drop off quite a bit after ~3 months or so with the new variants.

#2159 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,328 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:09 PM

I’ll be getting the 4th one but I think I’ll get a little more mileage outa this last one still. Sounds like sooner than I’d planned but yeah, I’ll be doing it. Feels like too much but still better than the alternatives or some of them anyway.

I appreciate the fact that we went through this together, old friend, and that goes for all of you. You’ve been so helpful and insightful and generous with just what I needed to know, time after time. I don’t know how you do it, but God bless you for that.

Edited by riseabovethought, 06 May 2022 - 08:15 PM.

#2160 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2022 - 09:51 AM

That guy in Germany who got ~90 shots as part of a dumb fraud scheme is still alive, so it appears that overdosing on the vaccine is not a concern, lol.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!