1844 replies to this topic

#1841 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:24 AM

@ Severian

I'm glad you're young and healthy live off the grid & grow your own food. It sounds wonderful. And I agree The mega cities are an enormous folly.

However it is expected (assuming global warming is survived for awhile) that shortly the majority of humans will be living in cities.

To be a bit picky, as regards your independence from tech (based on science), that we are forced to assume works, I wonder 

if you were born in a hospital

if your mother had a doctor

if you make your own clothes

if you buy or bought seed and tools for gardening

if over your life time you have driven a car, or been in a car, plane, bus, or train

if in your life you have bought food from a store that was not grown locally

if you always earned money totally independently of tech in any form

if all your friends & folks you interact with are independent of tech

If you generate your own electric power

if you burn kerosene or use a diesel generator or well pump

if you read books

wonder how you got your education

I don't think it is possible, unless one goes where there are tribes in the wilderness, that already know how to live off the land, that a person born into "civilization", can totally live without some connection to the technological world, which is based on centuries of scientific investigation, experimental results, and engineering applications.

If one flies in a plane one simply trusts, but as TV said in other cases a 2nd and 3rd opinion may be smart.

But I think the idea that all science is somehow suspect, is poorly thought out.

Something as simple as wearing glasses, shows how dependent we all are. We may not wear glasses, but its a good bet most of us have friends who do. Just as glasses are easily overlooked, so are the various forms of birth control.

The world has changed a lot in just 100 years.  Not that long ago there were fur traders and explorers, not living tribally, that knew how to live off the land, here in North America and Canada, but you can bet your bottom dollar they all had guns, lots of bullets, knives, and if trappers, steel traps, just for starters.

.   The need for dental work and other medical emergencies, brings many into town that would prefer to stay in the country. And lastly even if one grows ones own food, most seed was selected, bred or hybridized according to scientific principles for centuries, and often in societies that were totally dependent on tech.

.   I'm sure a lot of us don't like a lot of it, especially obviously those in Flint Michigan or those who lived near Fuckashima, for example, but there are also positive sides to experimentation and a skeptical & open mind. I'm glad I don't live in a time when witches are burned, along with heretics, by believers blinded by 'faith', dogmatism, and dualistic 'thinking'.

Edited by shiftingshadows, 20 September 2021 - 03:03 AM.

• Severian likes this

#1842 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 01:07 PM

First, shiftingshadows, I'm very much appreciating the dialogue; inspiring me to put my writing hat on. 

I also feel like it's hijacking this thread a bit so I made a new one 

https://mycotopia.ne...-a-science-hat/

I need to reiterate that I don't think all science is suspect. I don't think I've ever actually said that; though I can see how I may have given that idea. 

I'm all, ALL for science; especially the citizen led kind; like the kind we are all contributing to here on mycotopia! (well, you all more than me at the moment, havent figured out how to beat constant 80 degree temps and humidity that makes mold explode the minute one blinks....) 

and there are of course PLENTY of solid researchers out there working with the right mentality. I get into all of this in the thread I posted above. 

As to your questions as to connection with the larger society

Yes, to nearly all of them.

But just because that was the way we DID do things, doesnt mean it's the way we MUST continue to do things. It also illuminates the world-view I express in the link above, that alot of the things you mention, are directly linked to the 'advances of civilization' and not in fact benefits at all. (Consider for a moment, that the eyes actually have the ability to improve themselves, though optometrists claim otherwise(I've done it, no longer need glasses) or that a western diet leads directly to cavities; see the work of Weston A Price 'Nutrition and physical degeneration"- comparing dental health of pre-civilized peoples in the 1930s to that of western man. There was no need for a dentist in these societies. Which says something)

And, you are absolutely right. It's certainly not the answer to say ' We must stop using all technology tomorrow." The idea is absurd. 

But then again, consider the metaphor I used of being lost, and returning to a landmark you knew and continuing on from there.

Any 'Forward motion" for us, should we decide to move in a less -globalized-factory-technology direction, means proceeding in a step-by-step way; 

Gradually learning how to be more independant of a globalized supply chain. Gradually becoming more familiar with our neighboors, with our immediate environment, 

And, the very cool thing about this is the more of us move in this direction, the more we can specialize..

I mean, aren't microbrews in a different universe all together than say, bud light? 

I will applaud allopathic medicine and the modern medical industry for it's the knowledge of surgery and it's ability to work in instances of acute trauma. I certainly would not ask to go to a reiki healer or even an herbalist if I'd just been in a terrible car crash. 

but there are also positive sides to experimentation and a skeptical & open mind. I'm glad I don't live in a time when witches are burned, along with heretics, by believers blinded by 'faith', dogmatism, and dualistic 'thinking'.

The fact is, that while witches aren't being burnt; 'Alternative Medical Practictioners' are, in many cases prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license.

Jump over to my other threadddddddddddddddddddddd

Edited by Severian, 20 September 2021 - 01:15 PM.

#1843 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:45 PM

"The fact is, that while witches aren't being burnt; 'Alternative Medical Practictioners' are..."

Yes Albert Mosséri, ( "a giant in the Natural Hygiene movement," )  is an example who was persecuted in France, (but not burnt).

there is more of a reply in your new thread

#1844 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 1,047 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 11:16 AM

[Direct Link]

"Let the games begin!"

https://www.dailymai...g-Covid-19.html

Chinese whistleblower claims first COVID outbreak was INTENTIONAL and happened in October 2019 at Military World Games in Wuhan - two months before China notified the world about virus
  • Defector Wei Jingsheng said virus may have first spread at military tournament
  • Reports emerged in October 2019 athletes at event fell ill with mystery sickness
  • Mr Jingsheng alleged China deliberately spread virus during Military Games 
  • He claims he took his concerns to senior figures in the US gov but was ignore

#1845 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,576 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 12:21 PM

I think it's worth noting that even Wikipedia acknowledges that The Daily Mail is an unreliable source, and barred them as source of reference for their online encyclopedia back in like 2014, or 2015 IIRC.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!