• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Marauder

Marauder

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:09 PM

I have a good area in my attic where i can have room for my grow, but I put a thermometer into a rubbermaid tub, and left it in the attic. I checked it in the morning and it read something like 45F.. may not be accurate but close enough to see its not where it needs to be. I checked it this afternoon and it was 65F. What can I use to keep the tub at a good fruiting temp? I think I should be fine with my TiT incubator since I can adjust the temp, but what can i do about my fruit chamber?

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:26 PM

Attics fluctuate in temps so much, it would be painful to try to maintaine temps for cultivating mushrooms. Don't you have a spare closet or underneath your bed? I first started growing under my bed at my grandmothers house. LOL!

#3 nicholas

nicholas

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:28 PM

You could have a tub in tub fruiting chamber like your incubator. Just make sure to watch out on the higher temps, don't want it to go higher than the mid 80s.

#4 Marauder

Marauder

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:04 PM

You could have a tub in tub fruiting chamber like your incubator. Just make sure to watch out on the higher temps, don't want it to go higher than the mid 80s.

I think I might try this. Aquarium heaters are expensive though :eek:

#5 Marauder

Marauder

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:05 PM

Attics fluctuate in temps so much, it would be painful to try to maintaine temps for cultivating mushrooms. Don't you have a spare closet or underneath your bed? I first started growing under my bed at my grandmothers house. LOL!

Yeah they really do..

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

I agree with Looper I also tried the attic and its so unstable for your fruiting temps. If you are using the attic cause your trying to be discreet and thats the best/bigger space to grow then maybe try Invitro and you can place the jars under your bed or in a dresser drawer(The temps will be more stable there).Maybe a good idea might also be to check the archives under Stealth grows.

#7 bdog007

bdog007

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:08 PM

you can get aquarium thermometers for like eight bucks or less

#8 Marauder

Marauder

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:24 PM

you can get aquarium thermometers for like eight bucks or less

Where is this? At petco the cheapest one with adjustable heat settings is 25.00!
Where else shall I look? I'll go to walmart now.

#9 bdog007

bdog007

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:32 PM

i live in a small town and there is a big True Value. thats where i got mine. but i'm sure that wal mart will have one as well

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:37 PM

[quote name='cutty']If you are using the attic cause your trying to be discreet and thats the best/bigger space to grow then maybe try Invitro and you can place the jars under your bed or in a dresser drawer.

Even better idea!

#11 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:51 PM

I think i payed 14.00

#12 Marauder

Marauder

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:21 AM

I think i payed 14.00

I hope I can find some at this price. I have like 90.00 to spend and I still have to get one (maybe 2, the second for the fruit chamber) aquarium heater, jars, spores, make a glovebox (maybe?) and buy empty syringes.

#13 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:31 AM

I got mine at Wal-Mart for 14 or 15 dollars. Works like a charm.

#14 Guest_dlox421_*

Guest_dlox421_*

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:33 AM

i payed 20.00 for a 15-30 gal tank heater at wally world. If not you'd be suprised how many of your friends may have a ol fish tank set up out in the garage, who knows you may even. thats how i got my past heater before the purchase at walmart.

#15 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

I hope I can find some at this price. I have like 90.00 to spend and I still have to get one (maybe 2, the second for the fruit chamber) aquarium heater, jars, spores, make a glovebox (maybe?) and buy empty syringes.

This might help ya Marauder,

You can trade spores here or Im sure someone could send ya a print (or PM me).
Glovebox...Use a cardboard box...Theres Teks in the archives.
Empty syringes..Check the marketplace, Heres some links,

http://mycotopia.net...hread.php?t=322
http://mycotopia.net...hread.php?t=345

That might help ya to save some $$$.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!