• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Moosecaboose

Moosecaboose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:08 AM

So I was just looking for some good input from folks about the different ways to pasteurize and the pros and cons of them. I personally have just always used a mesh bag or a pillow case, and done it stove top with a thermometer. I have read some posts about doing it in the oven, but have not found a good TEK for doing it this way. Sorry for the early morning rambles.

#2 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,819 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:59 AM

Steam Pros: 

• Faster
  • Substrates are kept at field capacity automatically
  • Larger capacity is easier to accomplish
  • Easier to set up PID temp control

Steam Cons:

• Must DIY and build something
  • Might take some tinkering and experimenting to get a nice even temperature

Water Pros:

• Simple, cheap

Water Cons:

• Soaking wet substrates to deal with
  • Time intensive
  • Must babysit and take care of the process

I haven't ever done the oven methods so no comment on that.

#3 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

I use the oven all the time, works great.

I use coir and earthworm castings though.
  • Freaky and Uncle G like this

#4 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

I use the old water bath method outside over a propane flame with straw and verm. It never fails me but it is a hassle and you do indeed have to babysit the whole time. Grab a 6 pack and kick back. One way to avoid babysitting the entire time is to get the temperature all the way up to the top end of pasteurization which is about 180 then shut the flame off and let it slowly cool to about 150 then hit the flame again and get it back to 180 and repeat the process. If you do that you can walk away for periods of time.

Edited by dial8, 17 February 2020 - 02:22 PM.

• onediadem and Freaky like this

#5 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

I just fill the tote with the bulk substrate and then bring a few gallons of water to a boil and poor it in and put the lid on....

The old hot water bath, works like a charm.

Even though coir doesnt need to be pasteurized only manure based bulk substrates with the exception of worm castings.

Both coir and verm are sterile right out of the package (unless you get water on it)

#6 macgyver

macgyver

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 450 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

I've heard that Bucket tek works for some people but I use coir based subs and have been much more successful after I started doing oven tek. I mix all ingredients in the bucket, then once the sub is at field capacity I load it into a glass/metal oven tray and wrap tightly with foil and throw it in the oven at the lowest temp (170F) for 90 minutes. Then I spawn once cool, sometimes the next day.

Not too difficult of a step and it seemed to help out a lot with contamination!

Not sure about better methods for different substrates but oven works for me, with coir, WC, Kelp meal, Verm, Gypsum, etc. Poo may be a different story.

• Freaky likes this

#7 Stencill86

Stencill86

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 222 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:48 PM

The bucket tek works very well but it’s not the best for beginners. Your better off doing a tek that’s a bit more hands on so you can get a good feel for what field capacity is and know what to look for in the future. Good luck!

#8 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 809 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:24 PM

I've been pasteurizing in a cooler with the sub in a burlap sack. The sub is at perfect field capacity when I hydrate in a 5 gal bucket but this gets ruined when I dump water over it in the cooler. I've been looking for a way around this and am going to try filling jars with field capacity sub and pasteurizing them in the cooler.
  • Freaky likes this

#9 Moosecaboose

Moosecaboose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:00 PM

The bucket tek works very well but it’s not the best for beginners. Your better off doing a tek that’s a bit more hands on so you can get a good feel for what field capacity is and know what to look for in the future. Good luck!

Ive been doing this for a little over 10 years, but i have never strayed from the first way i was taught. That being said I live in the middle of town with a very visible back yard so doing anything outside is out of the question for now. So I was hoping for an less messy way to do it in the kitchen.

#10 DocOct

DocOct

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:23 PM

I just fill the tote with the bulk substrate and then bring a few gallons of water to a boil and poor it in and put the lid on....

The old hot water bath, works like a charm.

Even though coir doesnt need to be pasteurized only manure based bulk substrates with the exception of worm castings.

Both coir and verm are sterile right out of the package (unless you get water on it)

coir is not sterile, you can get away with using it after it’s hydrated with boiled water, but in time it will lead to contamination. This is speaking from experience.

I stopped using straight coir years ago and always supplement with E-poo now. I’ll put it in the oven at 170 in the morning and turn it off at night and let it cool down for use the next day. That’s about 12 hours.

If you throw it in the oven for 90 minutes you might as well not even do it at all. The point of pasturization is to kill of some baddies left after the boil and to promote growth of thermophilic bacteria.
  • Freaky and Juthro like this

#11 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 981 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:41 PM

I use direct water by putting whatever in a paint strainer bag, I throw that into a water can and use a bucket heater on a temperature controller. It’s plug and play. The downside is that you wind up with something soaked but it’s easy enough to let drain by hanging up to cool down. Using a trash bag instead of a mesh would solve that problem.

#12 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:45 PM

Rubbermaid box, sous vide and straw with a splash of lime. No babysitting. Did perfect prime rib this last xmas. Perfect subs. You can set it up before bed and it is ready in the morning.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-SSV800-Accu-Circulator/dp/B07898VZN9/ref=sxin_2_osp99-831b66a0_cov?ascsubtag=831b66a0-4dec-48a7-a36f-eff2ea2fd0d7&creativeASIN=B07898VZN9&crid=1BPWH05WROAQJ&cv_ct_cx=sous+vide&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.831b66a0-4dec-48a7-a36f-eff2ea2fd0d7&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=sous+vide&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07898VZN9&pd_rd_r=195809ae-73bc-4f61-ba35-7ff95a04ab78&pd_rd_w=CK5sg&pd_rd_wg=CeqCo&pf_rd_p=eb3e5cda-5ec9-4d94-919d-310a5d641b8b&pf_rd_r=18180CNS25ND0XGPS5ND&qid=1582000821&sprefix=sou%2Caps%2C235&sr=1-3-32a32192-7547-4d9b-b4f8-fe31bfe05040&tag=gearpublish-20

• dial8, Juthro and coAsTal like this

#13 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:48 PM

With the hot water bath pasteurization, when using straw and verm, I let the bag of straw / verm mix drip until cool to the touch. Then it's at field capacity and ready to receive spawn. 

• onediadem likes this

#14 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:49 PM

My dad has one and cooks everything with it lol. I've been wanting to play with that thing.

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:05 AM

Best invention ever for pasteurizing I kid you not. Toss your straw into one of those mesh laundry bags and you will never use another heat source again to pasteurize.

• dial8 and coAsTal like this

#16 Moosecaboose

Moosecaboose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:08 AM

Best invention ever for pasteurizing I kid you not. Toss your straw into one of those mesh laundry bags and you will never use another heat source again to pasteurize.

That looks cool! so you just pop that sucker on the side of the pit on the water and it heats? my vpn makes it hard to read amazon pages so i couldnt get the full run down. By the way I use an Organic compost that is manure free mixed with coir and a little straw.

#17 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:07 AM

That looks cool! so you just pop that sucker on the side of the pit on the water and it heats? my vpn makes it hard to read amazon pages so i couldnt get the full run down. By the way I use an Organic compost that is manure free mixed with coir and a little straw.

Here's the tek on making a modified cooler for using a sous vide... ideal for bulk substrate pasteurizing

https://mycotopia.ne...?hl=+sous +vide

I've been wanting to do this really badly. I think I will when I've got some extra money. 

Here's another thread that is linked to the one above. 

edit... forgot to add the link 

Edited by Nicked, 18 February 2020 - 03:08 AM.

• onediadem and dial8 like this

#18 Moosecaboose

Moosecaboose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:32 AM

Here's the tek on making a modified cooler for using a sous vide... ideal for bulk substrate pasteurizing

I've been wanting to do this really badly. I think I will when I've got some extra money. 

Well i just ordered one. Im going to get a cooler and try that way out seems pretty straight forward. This will be a life saver if it works.

• dial8 and Nicked like this

#19 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:48 AM

Well i just ordered one. Im going to get a cooler and try that way out seems pretty straight forward. This will be a life saver if it works.

Let us know how it goes! I'm very keen on doing the same in the not too distant future!

#20 Moosecaboose

Moosecaboose

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 01:12 PM

Let us know how it goes! I'm very keen on doing the same in the not too distant future!

So what Ive been doing is, with a large canning pot mixing my substrate and getting it above field capacity. I cover with foil and pre- heat oven to 200 degrees. Place in the oven for 2.5 hours. This has worked for me so far. Ive done this 4 times with no contams.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!