• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:50 PM

I just fill the tote with the bulk substrate and then bring a few gallons of water to a boil and poor it in and put the lid on....

The old hot water bath, works like a charm.

Even though coir doesnt need to be pasteurized only manure based bulk substrates with the exception of worm castings.

Both coir and verm are sterile right out of the package (unless you get water on it)

coir is not sterile, you can get away with using it after it’s hydrated with boiled water, but in time it will lead to contamination. This is speaking from experience.

I stopped using straight coir years ago and always supplement with E-poo now. I’ll put it in the oven at 170 in the morning and turn it off at night and let it cool down for use the next day. That’s about 12 hours.

If you throw it in the oven for 90 minutes you might as well not even do it at all. The point of pasturization is to kill of some baddies left after the boil and to promote growth of thermophilic bacteria.

e poo? I tried the oven tek with h poo and I dont think I got up to temp at 4 hours even at 200

#22 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:53 PM

I've been mixing the poo substrate in a pillowcase, tie it off and throw it in a 5gal bucket. Then bring a few gallons of water to a rolling boil, dump it in and lift the bag a few times to circulate the water. Put a lid on and let it cool overnight. Here's the cool part, I used to make wine and still have the grape press. I bet you'all know where this is going... I clean it with alcohol, dump the pillowcase in and have at it. I've almost gotten to the point where I can tell when to stop squeezing for field capacity. Then it's on with the show. So far I haven't noticed any contams from 5 batches. It works best one batch at a time, two batches is a bit too much for both the press and making sure everything gets heated up enough. My sister appreciates the squeezins for her plants.

• Vikings333 likes this

#23 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:07 PM

Cold Water + Lyme pastuerization of Poo and Straw

24 hour soak + 24 hour drain.

Worked great. 

Pro: Easy. + effective: basically no contamination issues. 

Con; Lifting dripping wet bags of poo/straw was 2/10 annoying.

Edited by Severian, 13 November 2020 - 10:07 PM.

#24 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:12 AM

Worked great. 

lyme pasteurization ?

#25 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:02 AM

I've been mixing the poo substrate in a pillowcase, tie it off and throw it in a 5gal bucket. Then bring a few gallons of water to a rolling boil, dump it in and lift the bag a few times to circulate the water. Put a lid on and let it cool overnight. Here's the cool part, I used to make wine and still have the grape press. I bet you'all know where this is going... I clean it with alcohol, dump the pillowcase in and have at it. I've almost gotten to the point where I can tell when to stop squeezing for field capacity. Then it's on with the show. So far I haven't noticed any contams from 5 batches. It works best one batch at a time, two batches is a bit too much for both the press and making sure everything gets heated up enough. My sister appreciates the squeezins for her plants.

love that! could be worth it https://www.amazon.c...MYZPDBKFXE&th=1

#26 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:50 AM

Worked great. 

lyme pasteurization ?

I think I meant Lime pastuerization. Calcium Hydroxide. No heat needed.

• Uncle G likes this

#27 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,679 posts

Donator

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:16 AM

I like the oven and I used the below for years

https://mycotopia.ne...pasteurization/

#28 Vikings333

Vikings333

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 01:04 PM

I like the oven and I used the below for years

https://mycotopia.ne...pasteurization/

Sweet! Hadn't seen that method before!  I still am leaning towards the boiling water in a cooler method... but I will keep my eyes peeled for a 30c brewer :)

#29 thafunkyone

thafunkyone

don't take no shit son!

• OG VIP
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:12 PM

So, I have been trying to figure out how to pasteurize a big load of substrate at once and I was shown the DIY substrate steamer. 1 company I've found PARTIALLY makes them , but you do most of the heavy lifting yourself,,,

[Direct Link]

you'll get a boiler with a couple controllers (watch the video) . the boiler generates steam to pasteurize and the drum will hold your substrate for a run of around 24hours. Downisides; I gotta build this fucking thing, its like 3k to build. Upside: the 85gal setup I'm about to build will allow you to process 400lbs of substrate in 24 hours-I can process a lot of substrate at once, allowing me to spend less time dealing with pastuerizing and one day at a time instead of multiple days of building bulk subs. I love doing this shit, but lemme get a day...

#30 coAsTal

coAsTal

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:35 PM

I'm going to use the sous vide in a cooler method.

Found a new 48qt cooler for $25-- just need to drill out the lid to allow the heater to sit in it.

You guys that are looking at spending hundreds or thousands on mass-bulk solutions might consider that you could just get a larger cooler(s) and buy a second (or even third) sous-vide unit to keep the water temps up effectively (it's said that single units aren't very good keeping temps past the 40-ish quart sizes.)

My main reason for it is to pasteurize the soil that I am using for my cactus projects-- I have used the sous vide method at the quart mason jar scale to great success for my myco work since I discovered the method-- this upgrade will allow me to heat several pounds at a time for the price of the cooler and electricity.

:meditate:

#31 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 694 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:32 PM

I use the big oven bags and put it in the oven at 150 for at least 12 hours.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!