3 replies to this topic

#1 Japie

Japie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:21 AM

Another Newbie to the site.

Have been growing seriously for the last couple of years with varying degrees of success.

I am very accomplished at growing mould. If there were a market for it I'd be onto a winner!

That said I've learned heaps form my many mistakes and currently have quite a range of mushrooms growing in varying stages of development,

Built a clean room over Xmas which seems to have ironed out my contamination problems somewhat.

Mucked around with liquid culture a fair bit but have settled for reproducing from Petri dishes into jars then bags,

My next task is to build a larger grow room as the current one will only accommodate thirty bags.

I bought an All American autoclave a year back which allows me to sterilise 5 bags at a time.The element suffered terminal failure a little while back and have since been using it on top of a gas ring which brings it up to temperature a lot quicker. A little risky but as yet I've not managed to blow it up!

I started off using bird seed, then rye grain which is very expensive here but am now using oats which seem to be working well.

I live in a sub tropical climate where it rarely gets over 34C and does not go below 16C

Currently growing white, tan, yellow, king and pink oyster, Shimejei, Shitake and cubes.

Look forward to discussing techniques and sharing info.

Am an older bloke, 65, live very close to the beach and have a passion for kite surfing which I have been doing since 2004,

In my drudgery world I drive trucks delivering concrete although a disagreement with my boss sees me unemployed at the moment.

Oh, and I've been a Vipassana practitioner since 2016,

Japie

• wharfrat, Nicked and BigCityCloset like this

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,702 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

Another Newbie to the site.

Have been growing seriously for the last couple of years with varying degrees of success.

I am very accomplished at growing mould. If there were a market for it I'd be onto a winner!

That said I've learned heaps form my many mistakes and currently have quite a range of mushrooms growing in varying stages of development,

Built a clean room over Xmas which seems to have ironed out my contamination problems somewhat.

Mucked around with liquid culture a fair bit but have settled for reproducing from Petri dishes into jars then bags,

My next task is to build a larger grow room as the current one will only accommodate thirty bags.

I bought an All American autoclave a year back which allows me to sterilise 5 bags at a time.The element suffered terminal failure a little while back and have since been using it on top of a gas ring which brings it up to temperature a lot quicker. A little risky but as yet I've not managed to blow it up!

I started off using bird seed, then rye grain which is very expensive here but am now using oats which seem to be working well.

I live in a sub tropical climate where it rarely gets over 34C and does not go below 16C

Currently growing white, tan, yellow, king and pink oyster, Shimejei, Shitake and cubes.

Look forward to discussing techniques and sharing info.

Am an older bloke, 65, live very close to the beach and have a passion for kite surfing which I have been doing since 2004,

In my drudgery world I drive trucks delivering concrete although a disagreement with my boss sees me unemployed at the moment.

Oh, and I've been a Vipassana practitioner since 2016,

Japie

welcome aboard mate! glad to have ya.

lot's of mold being grown around here, I think you will fit right in  :biggrin:

• Nicked likes this

#3 Japie

Japie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for the welcome warfrat!

Got a little ahead of myself with the ironing out the contamination. 6 bags on the compost heap today. Bummer!

• wharfrat likes this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,702 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the welcome warfrat!

Got a little ahead of myself with the ironing out the contamination. 6 bags on the compost heap today. Bummer!

unfortunately it happens more than not, even to the best of us. Just keep at it, one day you will have more mush than you know what to do with  :biggrin:

• Japie likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!