• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pokemania

pokemania

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:30 PM

I like the song but am not so crazy about most of the rainbow "family" "hippies" I have met through the years.

are there some good ones?

prove me wrong!

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,015 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:31 PM

A wise man need not to prove his wisdom!  I have to admit that the gatherings in the last decade may not be a good representation of the "Family".

I must ask the same though for Pokemaniacs, are there any good ones?

• Juthro and Boebs like this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:23 AM

I was asked by a Professor of Native American Studies from the University of Arizona (who was also a medicine woman for a local tribe) if I knew where the next Rainbow gathering was going to be (this was when I was in college). My girlfriend was taking one of her classes at the time and I guess we looked like we might know such things, lol.

Anyway, the reason why she asked was kind of a shocker; they were trying to get ahead of the gatherings to find out if they have anything to do with the statistically-unlikely spike in abductions of Native children they'd noticed coinciding with the Gatherings. "They" were a nationwide network of people (mostly Native American activists) working together to figure out why so many Native American children get abducted around the country. There are actually enough abductions to allow such seemingly-unlikely correlations to be found, which is in itself more than a little disturbing. But correlation does not equal causation, though it certainly suggests you might be on to something.

Granted, even if they did find where the next gathering was going to be, by the time the word is out that far I'd heard from a few folks I knew who frequented them that the core 'family' has wrapped up their main business in the region and moved on before the day most people were under the impression the gathering was supposed to start. But that was a long time ago.

#4 pokemania

pokemania

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:42 AM

That's worth thinking about.  Most rainbows, all in fact, that I have met were pretty like, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm talking scummy.  Not savory.  I wish I could meet some of the good ones that have hearts of burnished gold.  All I have ever met were at best thieves.  I'm interested in attending a gathering some day, just as something fun to do in the summer.  It would be a great adventure to see how far I could get out there with some no bake cookies and a little love and understanding.

I have actually heard about those abductions many many years ago, that there were, the rumors were that there would be white vans that would come round a bunch of people up then they'd never been seen or heard from again.  I know the LEO don't care much for the rainbows, but I couldn't imagine it going that far, for heaven's sake!

#5 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,006 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

Many, not all, of the people I have met who claim rainbow family are not people I would want around... They are the predecessor to the wook... They beg, borrow, steal, and stink... That being said, I have met two, wholesome, rainbow family cats who were tolerable and seemed to be relatively wholesome... They were not the type of person I would hangout with or include as part of my inner circle, but in this case, they seemed to be relatively respectable human beings who lived in tiny houses...

• Boebs likes this

#6 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 715 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

The ones who claim to be rainbow are most likely posers lmao. ""Heyy mannn buy my drugz, im rainbow so you knoww its good""
Ive been to a good few gatherings and alott of festivals.
Ive met some incredible people who are rainbow family members, yea they do stink lmaoo, but true family, they dont beg or steal, no need to when you get the best and cheapest priced everything imaginable.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#7 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,006 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:13 AM

The ones who claim to be rainbow are most likely posers lmao. ""Heyy mannn buy my drugz, im rainbow so you knoww its good""
Ive been to a good few gatherings and alott of festivals.
Ive met some incredible people who are rainbow family members, yea they do stink lmaoo, but true family, they dont beg or steal, no need to when you get the best and cheapest priced everything imaginable.

I have probably been to more shows and fests than anyone on this site. Not saying that it makes me an expert, but I stand by rainbow family cats often being untrustworthy... When you are in communal mode with no steady income, you have to survive and for that you often have to rely on people who do maintain an income. There are a lot of posers out there, but I would remain vigilant if I were you... I have seen some shady shit from rainbow cats... There are bad apples in every community, I think the percentage is higher in rainbow fam

• Boebs likes this

#8 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

I happened upon a rainbow gathering some 25 years ago and hung around for a few days. Very odd people, a lot of toxic relationships/codependencies and hierarchies. There was a woman who had a psychotic episode. When she came back from hospital they made her their leader. What a good idea!

Edited by swayambhu, 28 February 2020 - 01:50 PM.

• PJammer24 likes this

#9 pokemania

pokemania

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:28 PM

Well folks, where do I find the good ones?

#10 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,430 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:25 AM

Well folks, where do I find the good ones?

Maybe you're looking on the wrong side of the rainbow...?

Seriously, you should judge people on a person to person level.  If you find them shady, then don't deal with them, no matter who they say they are affiliated with.  But I also would advise to not define an entire group over the actions of a few.

I mean as long as they just stink a little, but are good people.... I'm good with that.  When I'm on the floating processors we get two, 5 minutes of water time (you get wet, turn the water off, lather up, and then turn the water back on to rinse off),  showers a week, and there are around 100 people onboard working 16 hour shifts, 7 days a week processing seafood.  They are all living by the same rules.   Add to that we are sleeping in bunk beds, 4 people to a room, with only enough floor space for one person to get dressed at a time.

Light another pachouly stick, and get over it, lol.

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,857 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:17 AM

It isn't body odor that makes the "rainbow family" scene problematic.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!