#1 StrangeMush

StrangeMush

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

(sorry for my average english)

Hy there,

A good month ago i was curious about the truffles then i've digged the question ... then i was pretty frustrated. My experience with the so called "hawaians" in end of 90 was at a light year from what i've experienced recently.

Like many things I have the philosophy "if you're frustrated, grow your own", and i actually read and take notes of everything i'm able to understand, waiting for a "spawn" of Azurescens and living truffles for March.

For now i don't really have a good overview of what i will do and how it will turn, so i will tend to experiment all protocols i can at a time to find my way. Indoor/outdoor, Liquide culture, agar, cloning, PF and "beds" ... and time will speak by itself.

I'm here to reduce a bit the (expected) failures, a lot of posts helped me to have a clearer view of the whole game. 

I wish you thye best and see you later !

• PJammer24, wharfrat and tcg like this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

Welcome StrangeMush.

• wharfrat and StrangeMush like this

#3 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:14 AM

Welcome Mush! If this is your first grow then you really want to research the Azurescens. They will be tough to fruit indoors although it can be done. I would reserve those for an outdoor bed because temperatures have to dip down pretty cold to get those to fruit. Any cubensis will be easy peasy. You are at the right place and very glad to have you!

• coorsmikey, wharfrat, FunG and 1 other like this

#4 StrangeMush

StrangeMush

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

Hy guys,

Dang the limitations are pretty hardcore, i can't even like more posts when i digg the board ^^ I've maybe spreaded an half dozen only; in reading all threads that I can it's a bit frustrating to can't reward "life saviors tips for the brand new shroomer" answers when i meet them. 

You have totally spotted my personnal challenge dial8, i've not choosen the easiest way at all. I'm totally aware of it. But the use of wood, the given "dominance/strenght" of azur', the "given" potency generally expected, even the look lol ... i'm feeling that this baby is maded for me. An outdoor crop is firmly planned for later, also an "injection" in wood trunks i have in the garden. I want to test everything at a time and see what happend lol

But i want to play a bit indoor before to discover this new "hobby grow". By the way i like a bit this epigenetic factor to deal with, sound as challenging than potentially rewarding. Can't wait to start. 

As far as i've read, the pretty low colonization temp of azur' will help me a lot to keep it simple (for my context). On the "fruit side", i've to fail a bit by myself to best understand the requirement i guess.

The winter and a couple of non-insulated rooms will help for now, but i'm allready thinking about a "modded big freezer" for later. I will share my kamikazi's travel for sure, can be fun.

• dial8, Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,259 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

One more post in here StrangeMush, and you are a free member, so if you even reply to this, you will be able to post in more specific threads on azures, and yes, cast your appreciation in the form of "likes"...... :biggrin: 

• wharfrat and StrangeMush like this

#6 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,702 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2020 - 09:07 PM

(sorry for my average english)

Hy there,

A good month ago i was curious about the truffles then i've digged the question ... then i was pretty frustrated. My experience with the so called "hawaians" in end of 90 was at a light year from what i've experienced recently.

Like many things I have the philosophy "if you're frustrated, grow your own", and i actually read and take notes of everything i'm able to understand, waiting for a "spawn" of Azurescens and living truffles for March.

For now i don't really have a good overview of what i will do and how it will turn, so i will tend to experiment all protocols i can at a time to find my way. Indoor/outdoor, Liquide culture, agar, cloning, PF and "beds" ... and time will speak by itself.

I'm here to reduce a bit the (expected) failures, a lot of posts helped me to have a clearer view of the whole game. 

I wish you thye best and see you later !

welcome. 

• StrangeMush likes this

#7 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,740 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:25 PM

Hy guys,

Dang the limitations are pretty hardcore, i can't even like more posts when i digg the board ^^ I've maybe spreaded an half dozen only; in reading all threads that I can it's a bit frustrating to can't reward "life saviors tips for the brand new shroomer" answers when i meet them. 

You have totally spotted my personnal challenge dial8, i've not choosen the easiest way at all. I'm totally aware of it. But the use of wood, the given "dominance/strenght" of azur', the "given" potency generally expected, even the look lol ... i'm feeling that this baby is maded for me. An outdoor crop is firmly planned for later, also an "injection" in wood trunks i have in the garden. I want to test everything at a time and see what happend lol

But i want to play a bit indoor before to discover this new "hobby grow". By the way i like a bit this epigenetic factor to deal with, sound as challenging than potentially rewarding. Can't wait to start. 

As far as i've read, the pretty low colonization temp of azur' will help me a lot to keep it simple (for my context). On the "fruit side", i've to fail a bit by myself to best understand the requirement i guess.

The winter and a couple of non-insulated rooms will help for now, but i'm allready thinking about a "modded big freezer" for later. I will share my kamikazi's travel for sure, can be fun.

I know exactly what you mean about Azures. They mesmerize me as well. But be careful. Per Paul Stamets they can cause temporary paralysis. It can last for a few hours so dont freak out lol. I didnt know that until recently when I heard Stamets say it on the Joe Rogan Show. 

• StrangeMush likes this

#8 StrangeMush

StrangeMush

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:15 AM

Nice, it don't last so much ;o)

Thx dial8, I keep the warning in head for later. Appreciated. I'm not prone at all to bad trip but who know.

On my side, i've a bit lived and i'm structured like a mutated gorilla. The whole tend to be an effective shield since my begins, sound good like that but it's a fate in fact.

I've allready completed the list/poll "which one before you die", only hooked by the weed on long term. It's a hobby which last since the middle of 90's, i can say fully explored/discovered now from both sides of the mirror. My approach with shrooms is a recycling process to push me to stop to smoke so much blunts (i hate to vape weed), and also to broke the daily needs. The growing constraints also, finally.

I've discovered it totally by surprise in fact, with the so called "magic truffles". Initially i was remembering a "travel" with supposed "hawaian pana" (shrooms) in a big festival, then i ordered a bunch of truffles (sclerote then) just to known and also by commodity. The experience was as interesting than frustrating. An oz fresh was a breeze, like a gentle "MDM bio pill". But it learned me also that taking psylocybin not specially for a "travel" work like a charm to annihilate my insane needs in weed. With a better effect on my nerves than the most powerfull hazes i've builded in my whole life lol 

All in one, it's a disclaimer on things i will eventually share about the use if i don't fail like a newbish shit (expected for the three next rounds i guess ^^). 

On the hobby, the most appealing thing for me (for now, and as a fully theoretical appeal) is the "agar cloning process". As far as i've understood, a lot of producers/hobbyist use it to stabilize the production. I'm seeing in this "backdoor" a manner to rejuvenate my pleasure to manipulate the stuff for my needs, maybe it's a foolish expectation, but i will play with every single epigenetic leverage i can find for sure ^^ Due to the big amount of datas i've to digest just to grow, i don't took so much the time to digg the question in details. It's very different from the weed where you have just to decypher the haploid process with phenotypes, with shrooms the nucleus stuff is like a rich alien thing lol Passionating and renewing my interrest as fuck by the way. 

I'm actually partially digging the work of Miles&Chang and decyphering the thesis of T. Gehrmann. Instead to learn by heart what Stamet have writed, in fact i count mostly on the community for that. To restitute a modernized version of his work on the practice side.

For now, i will try to output something before the summer and to start to known my new partner of the game : the azurescens. I'm like a children waiting his christmas gift right now ^^

Have fun guys and see you later ;o)

Edited by StrangeMush, 21 February 2020 - 11:16 AM.

• dial8, coorsmikey, Skywatcher and 1 other like this

#9 Japie

Japie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:50 AM

I've a question to ask and this thread discusses strength. Tell me if I'm broaching etiquette however!

I was also looking at Azurescens. Reason being is I've had moderate success with B Plus Cubensis which I sourced from the States. Initially I had a good deal of trouble getting them to fruit but did manage to harvest a handful of beauties which had a kick like a mule,

I made spore prints from a couple of them and isolated rhizomorphic mycelium as per Stamet's book. Used this to colonise jars and bags with wild bird seed which I then put into trays with a peat moss casing layer and into my grow chamber to fruit. 

All of the trays developed varying degrees of contamination but i did manage to harvest quite a few fruit which I dried to total roughly 150 grams. These were harvested whilst small and barring a few before the veils broke.

I have sampled them on a number of occasions never taking more than 2 grams. They have always had an effect but not being a connoisseur I found it hard to judge how powerful they should be. A couple of days ago a friend commented that they are not very strong so last night I took 4 grams which I would have expected to be pretty powerful but unfortunately reached the same conclusion. The effect was pleasant but certainly not mind altering.

So the question is this. 

Is the lack of potency a result of the contamination? Or because I harvested them when small?

I have decided to cease using trays and a casing layer with the next lot. They are not far off transfer to the fruiting chamber and  will be left inside the bags.

• StrangeMush likes this

#10 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,155 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

I feel that potency is largely a genetic issue. Psilocybe cubensis is just not as strong as other cultivars.

Unless you live in an area where Azurescens grow outdoors - naturally - indigenously, I'm doubtful that you'll have any success with them in an attempt to cultivate. Not saying it cannot be done - just saying that I've rarely seen any success in my years here @ 'Topia.

I need to create a go-to thread for this question. It comes up really often.

• Japie and StrangeMush like this

#11 StrangeMush

StrangeMush

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for you feedback Japie, appreciated. 150 grammers is pretty decent for a failure with this baby, but bad new for the potency. Interresting to digg the question indeed ...

On my side i get my inspiration (to start somewhere) from waylitjim on this board, i will develop my first tries around his shares on azurescens. Can't wait to share them.

Starting with azurescens for a first grow is tempting to climb the himalaya i guess, but it's the one I definitively want to known more than any other. I'm ready to fail during years ^^

Aside this foolish bet, i've take also Tampanensis which are known to be super easy to manage. To produce sclerotes and fruits at a time, with less constraints (i guess/hope).

The azurescens will fruit in a no-insulated/regulated space, and the tampanensis will do their job in a regulated indoor space. Fingers crossed.

• Japie likes this

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,006 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:14 AM

I think it is important to point out that if your grasp of the English language is "average", then it is significantly better than 70% of U.S. citizens... :rolleyes: :biggrin: 

I don't wanna hear any of you questioning the math on this... I already crunched the numbers and it seems to perfectly add up.... :tinfoil:

#13 Japie

Japie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:21 AM

I feel that potency is largely a genetic issue. Psilocybe cubensis is just not as strong as other cultivars.

Unless you live in an area where Azurescens grow outdoors - naturally - indigenously, I'm doubtful that you'll have any success with them in an attempt to cultivate. Not saying it cannot be done - just saying that I've rarely seen any success in my years here @ 'Topia.

I need to create a go-to thread for this question. It comes up really often.

I had a feeling that that was going to be the answer! Thanks for the feedback.

I reckon Azurescens is out of the question having done a bit of reading. It rarely gets below 18C here for starters!

My first grow was with some spores I bought back in 2007. Cubes purported to be Thai Pink Buffalo. I've no idea how I managed to do it but I got a small crop off them without any Hepa hood or any prior knowledge. 

I only bought them because I'd always wanted to try shrooms but had never any success in finding or acquiring any. I won't bore everyone with the effects, suffice to say that after I got my head around the fact that I was not having a heart attack I experienced a trip that will always remain in my memory!

I'll kick along with the cubes. We have had a very bad drought here which broke recently. A short foray into a cow paddock revealed a bumper crop of gold tops and blue meanies which I helped myself to. Dried they totaled 175 grams! I made some tea with them and was pleasantly surprised by the strength!

I also took some spore prints and am going to inoculate some petri dishes tonight. 

• Myc likes this

#14 Japie

Japie

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:30 PM

A question!

I have been getting quite a lot of "segregation" in my bags. Initial colonisation appears to be quite quick but then I have been experiencing significant slow down and colonisation of the rest of the bag takes ages.

I have tried breaking up the mycelium but have found that this contributes significantly to contamination. Likewise shaking jars.

I'm thinking that perhaps increasing the volume of inocculant is the way to go. And reducing the quantity of grain in the bags.

#15 StrangeMush

StrangeMush

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:32 PM

If you want to follow the next episode of my discovery it's there.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!