Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Super potent magic mushroom tincture drops anyone?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

Hi All,

So recently this very potent magic mushroom tincture crossed my path...little blue drops, predominantly alcohol-based I think. Highly potent, essentially the mushroom answer to liquid LSD. Three drops was sufficient for a nice time, six drops and you're apparently starting to enter deeper waters. Until I had encountered this, I wasn't aware of a mushroom extract existing in such a highly potent form. Not that it isn't feasible I guess, but this was an excellent and very convenient way of using psilocybin, very smooth and easy on the body, and reliable dosing, easy to titrate oneself to their desired level of ascendancy.

Has anyone else encountered this? And does anyone with more advanced chemistry knowledge than I know how one might go about preparing such a potent tincture?

:smile:

• onediadem, Moonless, Stroker and 1 other like this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:55 PM

There are numerous teks here just for that!

• Samwise likes this

#3 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,530 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:02 PM

So I suppose  that "Drops" is key instead of "Shots" lol. I keep sharing shots and then I regret having to babysit the whole time. I'm gonna have to invest in some of those eye dropper bottles.

• Samwise, Boebs, Moonless and 3 others like this

#4 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:18 AM

Are you able to point out any specific teks? I'm a bit sceptical that one can actually succeed in concentrating a dose of psilocybin into a few drops of liquid, but I would so love to be proven wrong!

• Coopdog likes this

#5 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 762 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:43 AM

I wonder if it from organic sources or if they are synthesizing the molecules?
  • Coopdog and Moonless like this

#6 Stroker

Stroker

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:47 AM

Interesting! Thought of doing a alcohol extraction but I'm not a big drinker. So a mixed drink of hard alcohol isn't really my thing, but drops now we're talking.

#7 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,765 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:22 AM

Are you able to point out any specific teks? I'm a bit sceptical that one can actually succeed in concentrating a dose of psilocybin into a few drops of liquid, but I would so love to be proven wrong!

I'm confused; in the first post you said you recently encountered highly concentrated drops and in the quote above you seem to be asking if it's even possible.

So have you actually encountered this stuff and tried it?

I've made tinctures but haven't reduced them down to where under 10 drops would be a decent dose (I reduced mine quite a bit but it still required about half a shot for a moderate dose). I noticed making mine that there is a lot of sugar that crashes out of a tincture when it's put in the freezer, so concentrating it to the point where it only takes a few drops would require getting all the sugar and any other dissolved solids there might be in it out of it.

I would be taking care to ensure that such a potent tincture was really an extract of fungi and not something else (like a research chemical) being falsely claimed to be a mushroom extract. Being blue makes me wonder since that would suggest oxidation, which suggests degraded potency unless it's just food coloring added to a research chemical because people know that mushrooms bruise blue. My alcohol-based tinctures were a really rich golden/amber color, never blue.

I suppose it could also be a tincture of a much more potent species than cubensis, but that still wouldn't explain why it's blue.

• roscoe and BrotherDekatessera like this

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,765 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

Interesting! Thought of doing a alcohol extraction but I'm not a big drinker. So a mixed drink of hard alcohol isn't really my thing, but drops now we're talking.

Mine required half to 3/4 of a standard shot for a good dose, but consuming the alcohol with it is optional if you pour the dose into a cup then add some herb tea and boiling water. As soon as the water hits it, the alcohol boils off in a few seconds and you're left with tea instead of a a shot of liquor.

• pastyoureyes, clumsy, Shroomn and 1 other like this

#9 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 277 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:59 AM

I've come across, but haven't tried, synthetic psilocybin drops here. Seems to be about a 6 to 10 drop sort of thing. Definitely not a natural extract though. Would think that it's similar to what OP is talking about. Not really interested in trying them out tbh but a friend of mine says they're "fantastic"
  • Samwise likes this

#10 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:42 PM

I got interested in this, but only in theory. Let me quote Adam Gottlieb once more.

I got the book "Psilocybin Production". He grows mycelium in liquid culture, then makes an extraction from the material. End product is a fine powder.

The dried material is crumbled and pulverized, and each 100 mg of this is combined in a flask with 10 ml of absolute methanol. The flask is placed in a hot water bath for four hours. The liquids are filtered with suction through filter paper in a Buchner funnel with CeliteTM to prevent clogging. The filtrate liquids are collected and saved. The slurry (the mush in the filter paper) is heated two more times in methanol as before. The liquids of the three extractions are filtered and joined together.

To be certain that all of the alkaloids have been extracted, a small extraction of a portion of the used slurry is tested with Keller's Reagent (glacial acetic acid, ferrous chloride, and concentrated sulfuric acid). If there is a violet indication, alkaloids are still present and further extraction is in order.

In an open breaker the liquids are evaporated to total dryness with a hot water bath or by applying a hair dryer. All traces of methanol must be removed. The remaining residue should contain a 25-50% psilocybin/psilocin mixture.

Greater purification can be achieved, but it would require other solvents and chromatography equipment and is hardly necessary. Each 100 grams of dried mycelium should yield about 2 grams of extracted material. This should contain at least 500 mg of a psilocybin/psilocin mixture or about fifty 10 mg doses.

Theoretically, psilocin should have the same effect upon the user as psilocybin. The only difference between the two is that the latter has a phosphate bond which disappears immediately after assimilation in the body. In other words, in the body psilocybin turns into psilocin.

Psilocybin is a fairly stable component, but psilocin is very susceptible to oxidation. it is best to keep the extracted material in a dry air tight container under refrigeration. A sack of silica-gel can be placed in the container to capture any moisture that may enter.

A graphic is added showing the laboratory equipment needed. Buchner funnel, Flask and Trap jar.

Warning: Extraction procedures involving volatile solvents are hazardous, potentially explosive or toxic, and should be performed only by professional chemists working in licensed laboratories.

• Samwise likes this

#11 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:57 PM

Hi TVCasualty, yes I can confirm that I have sampled these "mushroom" drops on a few different occasions, and they were effective at just 3 drops (well enough for a nice bit of sparkle)...however just because it felt mushroomy doesn't mean it was (particularly at that relatively low dosage), it could have been 4-AcO-DMT or something (although potency wise this does not differ markedly from psilocybin, so if this is the case it must have a markedly different solubility profile in ethanol). However I did wonder whether this was too good to be true, as I was really surprised that one could experience a fair dose of psilocybin on a mere six drops of liquid.

Thanks for sharing that information Alpoehi. I encountered a post very recently of someone making a fairly convincing argument to take some of Adam Gottlieb's claims with a pinch of salt. Thanks for chiming in Nicked, I think you might be onto something. I've touched base with a psychedelically interested chemist friend, and he is up for running some through a GC-MS if I can obtain a sample for analysis, so I'm going to put out some mycelial tendrils to try and ensnare some with this in mind. Will be sure to report back here once I've got to the bottom of this.

Edited by Samwise, 23 February 2020 - 01:03 PM.

• Nicked, Alpoehi and YoshiTrainer like this

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,765 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

I got interested in this, but only in theory. Let me quote Adam Gottlieb once more.

I got the book "Psilocybin Production". He grows mycelium in liquid culture, then makes an extraction from the material. End product is a fine powder.

That's a classic of mushroom-related literature, though unfortunately it's also a bogus method that nobody has ever gotten to work.

It used to pop up about once a year around here. This is one example that I replied to:

https://mycotopia.ne...e/#entry1059526

• Alpoehi likes this

#13 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:49 PM

Perhaps relevant- my alcohol extract is 15ml-1g. I used my quite potent psilocybe cyanescens, so 15ml is a fairly stiff "walking around" dose for me. Because that equates roughly to a shot of 50% whiskey or similar, I never bothered to try and concentrate it, and as has been said, the alcohol at 95% is so volatile that much of it could be driven off simply by adding it to hot tea. 

But still, even with a great deal of concentration, that is a hell of a long way from being able to dose with individual dropper drops (which google tells me are 0.05ml).

A question I have is why you would need it to be so concentrated? I think that once you have a stabilized, standardized tincture that will also ideally ameliorate some or many of the undesireable effects of the fungus, the effort required to concentrate it to such a high degree seems to me to be a bit pointless (which is not to say that it's not a cool idea). 

Edited by swayambhu, 23 February 2020 - 05:51 PM.

#14 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

That's a classic of mushroom-related literature, though unfortunately it's also a bogus method that nobody has ever gotten to work.

It used to pop up about once a year around here. This is one example that I replied to:

https://mycotopia.ne...e/#entry1059526

Glad that these books were cheap ones so I didn't spoil so much money on that. 

I thought of buying laboratory equipment as well, I do a study of the threads here on topia instead.

#15 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:30 AM

In principle at least, this is quite interesting. I've just been testing some 10 week old P. hoohshagenii/semperviva mycelium grown on rice...it is much more potent than 6 week old material (the mycelium-rice is dried and powdered prior to consumption)...but it is worth noting that one is consuming a good amount of rice alongside the powdered mycelium...so if one was able to isolate the mycelium powder from the grain powder, it would likely be a great deal more potent still. However this liquid culture approach sounds a bit suspicious to me...sounds like it might be more viable perhaps if scaled up massively, but I'm sceptical.

Hey swayambhu, thanks for chiming in. I think the appeal in having a tincture so concentrated is the convenience and ease of dosing, as as the ease (and subtlety) of transporting such a small amount of tincture.

#16 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:27 AM

However this liquid culture approach sounds a bit suspicious to me...sounds like it might be more viable perhaps if scaled up massively, but I'm sceptical.

He recommends using a liquid Potato Dextrose Yeast Medium for cultivation. I will try that, but I see problems with oxygen supply in the closed jar or container.

However I will purchase an air pump with silcicone tube and PTFE microfilter for my next project anyway.

I will drill some holes in a larger plastic container, fill it with medium and supply air bubbles to it with that system.

Another tube with filter is implemented for releasing the pressure.

I'm curious as to how the pure mycelium tastes compared to the fruits. From the dutch people I know it has the same (ugly) taste.

I'm also only able to ingest low dosages for that reason. Extraction with alcohol does not work for me, my body will not tolerate it anymore.

That's the reason I am interested in extraction in the first place.

Later on I could use medium with Peptone, it is widely used in liquid culture. It is quite easy making some basic steps with this.

The fruits, of course, I love growing them. I would never stop cultivating the conventional way.

#17 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:57 PM

Hey swayambhu, thanks for chiming in. I think the appeal in having a tincture so concentrated is the convenience and ease of dosing, as as the ease (and subtlety) of transporting such a small amount of tincture.

As I'm sure you understand, it's not my intention to be negative, and I certainly see the benefit of concentration, but it is surely easier to accurately dose something at lower concentration than higher, given the broader margin of error. And if (in my case) a decent dose can be procured at 1g per 15ml without any attempt made to concentrate, surely with even a 50% reduction (and a stronger species of mushroom?) you are looking at a fairly large number of doses in a relatively small volume? (For example, for me a strong dose of my tincture would be 30ml (2g), fifteen of which would happily fit into a smallish bottle of beer).

When it comes to subtlety, I'm not sure tiny ampules of tincture are going to be of less interest than big ones, when it comes to the law?

Just my thoughts...

Edited by swayambhu, 25 February 2020 - 06:57 PM.

#18 Samwise

Samwise

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:15 PM

Personally, being able to have a few drops for a light fun time dose (or a few more for a deeper experience) appeals more to me than taking a larger volume of alcohol tincture...if anything, dosing is going to be more accurate doing it the former way via drops. The act of dosing is easier too, no preparation or mixing with anything else is required. If dropped onto the side of one's hand prior to consumption, there is no risk of dosing errors. For convenience of transport, whether it be adventuring, or festivals or what have you, for me a small vial or dropper bottle appeals more than a small bottle, and I don't think transporting something like would attract much attention.

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,765 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

I would either store and carry my tinctures in Bacardi 151 bottles (after filtering and removing all the sugar crystals so it looks exactly like Bacardi 151) or in eye dropper bottles that I bought other tinctures in (legal ones) and left the original labels on.

A Bacardi (or any kind of liquor) bottle not the best choice for storing tincture in if there's any chance someone who isn't in the loop might find it and mix themselves up a strong cocktail without knowing just how strong it's really going be, lol. That only happened once in my case, lol.

Storing your tincture in one of the blue ice packs in a cooler is probably the best for transporting it places; I'm pretty sure Soliver mentioned that trick in another extraction thread but I couldn't find it again though it's pretty self-explanatory.

• Juthro likes this

#20 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,085 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

In principle at least, this is quite interesting. I've just been testing some 10 week old P. hoohshagenii/semperviva mycelium grown on rice...it is much more potent than 6 week old material (the mycelium-rice is dried and powdered prior to consumption)...but it is worth noting that one is consuming a good amount of rice alongside the powdered mycelium...so if one was able to isolate the mycelium powder from the grain powder, it would likely be a great deal more potent still. However this liquid culture approach sounds a bit suspicious to me...sounds like it might be more viable perhaps if scaled up massively, but I'm sceptical.

Off topic...

Nice Avatar!

• coorsmikey and Samwise like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!