• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CourageToGrow

CourageToGrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Early this week, Houston had mid60~70deg weather with a high humidity level and all day overcasts with 8~16mph winds... so I figured it was worth my time to take a look at my nearby National Forest about a 5-10 minute bike ride from my house.

Let me bring you up to speed on the history of this forest. It was involved in some major flooding due to the Hurricane Harvey Disaster about 2 or 3 years ago. Of course, with the high winds of a hurricane, the trees took on a bit of breakage. Everything from tons of small limbs to whole trees are now littering the ground everywhere you go in this forest.  This particular section of Houston sat underwater for weeks, completely saturating\water logging all this wood...

Where there's death, there is life.. and I found a lot for the small amount of space I walked (probably less than a football field) with in an hour or so.

..anyway, I'm unsure what most of these mushrooms are.. the only ones I'm 99.99% sure on are the woodear fungai. So any help with identification would be greatly appreciated. :)

The following fungai is 8 inches wide orange flat top w/ pores.
8inch Orange Top w Pores measured.jpg 8inch Orange Top w Pores.jpg

A down tree completely overtaken by what I like to call... "Frosted Flakes" if someone has a better name for these, let me know :)
Completely Covered Tree.jpg
Other Frosted Flakes ^_^;

Frosted Flakes.jpg
Light Orange Skrunchy Fungai 2.jpg
What's the black tar looking stuff?  :huh: 
Light Orange Skrunchy Fungai Covered in Black Blob.jpg

A dark red fungai - unknown
Dark Red Unknown.jpg

Other red fungai - unknown
Rotten Reds on Tree from above.jpg Rotten Reds on Tree from under.jpg

Some velvety brown type of oyster - unknown
Fluffy Brown Oyster Unknown 1.jpg Fluffy Brown Oyster Unknown 2.jpg

Interesting orange fluff ball of sorts.. didn't touch it or pick it. What is this though?
Orange Fluffy Balls 1.jpg Orange Fluffy Balls 2.jpg

ID these shrooms on a tree root?
Shrooms on Root - Cap.jpg Shrooms on Root - Gills.jpg

Small yellow and waxy.. cool looking for sure.
Small Yellow Waxy 1.jpg Small Yellow Waxy Close.jpg

Tree Poop?
Tree Poop.jpg

White Oyster??
White Oyster Type Unknown Measured.jpg White Oyster Type Unknown.jpg

So much woodear, I had to dehydrate half of it for later!
Woodear 1.jpg Woodear 2.jpg Woodear 3.jpg Woodear 4.jpg Woodear 5.jpg Woodear 6.jpg Woodear 7.jpg Woodear 8.jpg Woodear 9.jpg Woodear 10.jpg Woodear 11.jpg

Made a Chinese Chicken Wood Ear Hot n Sour Soup with these. I've also had them prepared in a cold salad and a Japanese ramen dish. I love the texture and it takes on the flavor you cook it with, so its pretty versatile in the culinary world. The health benefits for wood ear are through the roof. If you wanna check it out here's the link.
Wood Ear Chicken Hot n Sour Pot.jpg
Wood Ear Chicken Hot N Sour Bowl.jpg

Edited by CourageToGrow, 26 February 2020 - 06:17 PM.

• onediadem, dial8, coorsmikey and 4 others like this

#2 CourageToGrow

CourageToGrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:14 PM

So just doing some of my research on what I've come across... and I might have passed on a ton of different little goodies. Not sure, but I think maybe Turkey Tail and Chaga, both ...not picked  :sad: 

I think I'm going to go back tomorrow. If some of these I had passed on are worth my time, I'll hit the same spot and even move around to the other side of the forest to get a good meal together or some chaga tea or something. :D

• Skywatcher likes this

#3 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,067 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

turkey tail may have some medicinal properties but its certainly not a good choice for a "good meal"... You're in the same boat as chaga, though I doubt the one that looked like chaga actually is... You're best bet is to figure out what kind of tree it is on and determine if is typical of chaga... Chaga is found on specific trees, I don't see a lot of it around here... it should have a reddish center.

• CourageToGrow likes this

#4 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,023 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:12 AM

Your first one is Laetiporus persicinus.

Frosted flakes is what we are calling Stereum ostrea, but it probably isn't really that as it's a name from Fiji.

The black tar is Exidia glandulosa, and your red polypores are Ganoderma sessile.

Your velvety oyster things are Panus lecomtei.   

The little yellow waxy one is your coolest find, it's a Chromosera species.    It has a name but I shouldn't say what it is because there's a paper pending publication about it and it's a secret for now.  It has purple gills.

Tree poop is Daldinia, white oysters are Pleurotus pulmonarius.

The wood ear might be Auricularia polytricha.

• coorsmikey, Skywatcher, swayambhu and 5 others like this

#5 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:55 AM

Frosted flakes is what we are calling Stereum ostrea, but it probably isn't really that as it's a name from Fiji.

The black tar is Exidia glandulosa, and your red polypores are Ganoderma sessile.

The little yellow waxy one is your coolest find, it's a Chromosera species. It has a name but I shouldn't say what it is because there's a paper pending publication about it and it's a secret for now. It has purple gills.

Thanks for your contributions brother. I regret not making it to your last presentation out here in Tucson a few months ago.
  • coorsmikey likes this

#6 CourageToGrow

CourageToGrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:59 PM

The little yellow waxy one is your coolest find, it's a Chromosera species.    It has a name but I shouldn't say what it is because there's a paper pending publication about it and it's a secret for now.  It has purple gills.

Thanks very much for putting names to my finds. I'll be on the look out for the yellow ones when I go out again. Maybe this time I'll take a spore print.

#7 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,023 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for your contributions brother. I regret not making it to your last presentation out here in Tucson a few months ago.

I'll be leading a mushroom hunt in Arizona this August, in the white mountains with the https://arizonamushroomsociety.org.   Will definitely check the Psilocybe aztecorum spot.

• coorsmikey, Misfit and CourageToGrow like this

#8 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

I will look into it. I had planned on attending the event for TPS that you did here just recently. Hope that went well.
Thanks for the heads up.

#9 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,023 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2020 - 09:29 PM

Yes that event was awesome!

• Misfit likes this

#10 CourageToGrow

CourageToGrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:23 PM

I'll be leading a mushroom hunt in Arizona this August, in the white mountains with the https://arizonamushroomsociety.org.   Will definitely check the Psilocybe aztecorum spot.

I was just in Arizona for a few lighting projects.. a little over 2 months through out the state. Tempe, Phoenix, Goodyear. Went hiking on some pretty awesome trails during my days off. Camel Back Mt a couple times.. forget some of these other trail names. Even went about 4 hours north to some pretty badass spots.. love it out there!

I hope one day I have the honor of hunting with you.. your experience and knowledge! I would soak your brain up so quick, lol xD

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!