Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

I bought a few syringes, now trying to figure out what to do.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 08:11 PM

A quick update, "logs" of mostly King oyster and 2-1/2 gallon jars of Pioppino. The impatient log with the myc on top is Elm oyster. These will all receive 100 ml water, 24hrs in the fridge then into fruiting chamber. I'll probably put some COIR on top of the Piopinnos.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200419_123920-1.jpg

• RainbowCatepillar likes this

#22 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:03 PM

Great idea C&B! I did make 2 pint LC from each syringe, I'll need to expand from there. I have a lot to learn about timing between batches to attempt a constant supply. I would like enough for my family with some extra to share.
With the LC, I can just inoculate with lots of solution to bulk rather than grains to bulk or some other expansion of the mycelium?

YT, 

I just finished a really prolific 4 bag run of blue oysters. I’ve got the rest of my LC syringe in the fridge, and got so caught up in the bounty that I didn’t start the next batch lol. I used 1cc  of LC in each jar of sterilized rye before transferring to bags (50:50 HWP:soybean hulls). Can you explain or point me to the best way to make more LC so I don’t need to keep ordering more? 

Im sorry if it’s a dumb question, but there is such a huge amount of info out there that I get overwhelmed and then can’t seem to wrap my head around shit :(   Kudos on doing all of these at once! 

p

#23 scott_1971_h

scott_1971_h

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,776 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

I thought HOTW was a semiparasitic/symbiotic/mycorrhyzal species? Or was that COTW?

#24 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:55 PM

Hello Pakil,
I used a standard LC recipe. I made a mild hardwood tea to use (for LC and agar) by adding a pinch of hardwood to warmed water then straining it.

For LC:
500 ml water
5g Dry Malt Extract (DME)
1 Tbl Karo
(1 tsp hardwood pellet/sawdust strained out)
PC 30min at 15PSI
Good luck!

Hello Scott, I hope neither COTW or HOTW are symbiotic?! I have a bunch of healthy mycelium and they have blobs around the rim of the jars. My worry is the warming weather, I think they'd rather be 10°-15° cooler. I have some more "logs" to put out the next couple of days so I'll try to grab some pics.

#25 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:15 AM

Hello Pakil,
I used a standard LC recipe. I made a mild hardwood tea to use (for LC and agar) by adding a pinch of hardwood to warmed water then straining it.

For LC:
500 ml water
5g Dry Malt Extract (DME)
1 Tbl Karo
(1 tsp hardwood pellet/sawdust strained out)
PC 30min at 15PSI
Good luck!

Thank you for the recipe. I have huge bag of dry malt extract from my beer making days that I deliberately didn’t toss. I have enough to probably last 100 years :).  Did you inject just a little from your purchased LC and then let it grow? Also, can you store these in the fridge for a while to continue using?

I did buy petri dishes, agar, and the fancy bottle... but I don’t have a clear bin to make my SAB right now. I’ve been cleaning the hell out of my bathroom each time I need to make grain-to-sub transfers. I’ve been afraid to trust myself doing grain-to-grain this way though. I saw a video on injecting sterilized water into a colonized grain jar, sucking it back out, and pushing it into a new LC jar, but that method doesn’t seem to pop up much. I think it would be better to create new LC from my current spore and LC syringes. Can you (and anyone else) check my logic? 
tysm

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#26 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:19 AM

I’m sorry to hijack your thread. I really do want to follow your progress. I’m thinking I'm not going to have super luck doing farmers markets this year, so I’m going to learn as much as I can. And keep my and my friends’ families in mushrooms :)

#27 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:05 PM

Sorry Pakil, just saw your response.

Yes, I put a small amount of my purchased syringes into LC along with injecting some into grains and a few drops on agar.

There are teks where people use large plastic bags as SAB or even attach large plastic bags to HEPA fans for a makeshift flow hood.

Just working in a clean place does give you a chance, make sure ac/fans are off and you have gloves and mask.

Good luck!
  • Pakil likes this

#28 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:11 PM

A quick update:
1. Piopinno
2. COTW & HOTW myc
3. Lions mane
4. Elm oysters
4. King oyster myc

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200527_145447-1.jpg
  • 20200527_145811-1.jpg
  • 20200527_145845-1.jpg
  • 20200527_145836.jpg
  • 20200527_145902-1.jpg

• ElPirana likes this

#29 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

Move your elm oysters, kings for that matter too, into open tubs by themselves and spray the inside of the tubs several times a day but leave the tub open, the higher the humidity and more fresh air they get the more they fill out. Those look starved for air brother..I bet you get some meaty fruits out of that sub......

You're there.....once you have a substrate to that point it's a matter of dialing in some parameters....oysters demand lots of moisture and fresh air....

Nice work!

A

• Pakil and YoshiTrainer like this

#30 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:22 PM

Thank you Arathu, coincidentally, yesterday, I pulled out one of the elm oysters and stuck it on the kitchen counter to be moved outside to a pot. After 24hrs on the counter, it is covered in fair sized pins, so I started misting it. Coorsmikey recommended something like this in another thread. So today, I started getting more air to all of the mushies. I'll have to find a better fix for my environment though, some of my 4 legged animals sleep on my tubs and don't get me started on those 2 legged ones! :) Maybe some more or bigger micropore tape covered holes? A fan blowing across the tubs? I'd just hate to find paw prints, clumps of hair, leggos, paint, glitter, etc covering my beautiful mycelium. :)

#31 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:07 PM

Forced air across them from a fan and you will need to mist many times a day, just opened to the air itself and sitting in a high humidity basin works reasonably well. When I fruit them outside I water with a hose and spray unit but that's wood sawdust/chip/wheat bran blocks taken out of their bags. They drain well.  Not so easy to do without flooding them if your mycelium is in jars. Misting works well it's just time consuming.....You can try bigger holes, fans without regular misting has dried out my mushrooms and subs on me so I don't recommend a fan alone....obviously a misting fan isn't going to work for you either.

Yeah your shrooms are not going to like dog hair, glitter, paint, and who knows what else........ hahaha need a quiet spot for the fungus.......

Good vibes Yoshi...

#32 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:23 PM

Elm oysters proving how correct you are Arathu! My sacrificial lamb placed on the counter two days ago is now covered in goodness. It even survived the oven being on for bisquits and gravy. I need to get those other "logs" into as much fresh air as they can handle.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200531_120905-1.jpg
  • 20200531_120830-1.jpg

• Arathu, ElPirana and Moonless like this

#33 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:34 PM

You're gonna FEAST......friggin awesome man!

A word to the wise, as those mature and approach sporulation DO NOT let them splooge into the kitchen. Oyster spore load is HEAVY DUTY.....

They look good and are now forming what appear to be "normal" oysters..... When eating them, the caps are great, stems not so much, BUT the stems will grow out on wet cardboard like a mother not that it's necessary though......

Keep doing what you're doing....you're learning fast. Not so sacrificial eh?  :biggrin: It's a damned art form, learning all of nuances of the various species....endless IMHO

Great job man......

A

#34 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,263 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:45 PM

I need a heartfelt "loved it" button to hit, also a two thumbs down one lol. I'm with Roscoe on that. That made my mouth water. I have been coming across all sorts of mushroom related deliciousness lately it seems. Good luck to your growing!

#35 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words and support, this is such an enjoyable and delicious hobby!

I'll have to learn how to pick them to avoid the spore load. I wonder if the stems would be worth drying and grinding for flavor and thickening purposes?

#36 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:49 AM

If you keep growing blocks of oysters like that you won't need to keep any stems. The caps will flatten out and grow larger as the mushroom matures. You want to pick them before the outer outer edges start to turn upwards. It wont be long at all now.

Whatever you do, do not leave those on mamas counter without paying attention...NO fishing trips and I hope they're OK.....you'll wind up with a giant spore print......hahahaha I'm not shitting you......

The only thing I've done with stems is fill a wet paper egg carton with them and incubate.....it keeps growing. I'm thinking of trying to inoculate logs with them but now I'll be making plug spawn for that.....

Experiment with some and see what you can come with.......indeed it is an extremely tasty and nutritious hobby......

A

#37 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

I picked the elm oysters, they had an interesting texture, they felt like they were already 1/2 dry and leathery. The smaller mushrooms were mostly to completely dry. So I went ahead and dried them to eventually crush or grind and add to red sauce, gravy, soup, etc. I need to move the blocks to a room w/out an oven, I think that'll help.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200603_172405-1.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#38 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,922 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:34 PM

There you go....... :biggrin:

They need a ton of air AND moisture.....Still great job.....cook em up man! 

I have a humidity controller and ultrasonic mister coming and will be putting the same species, quite a few actually, to agar very shortly....

Definitely get them away from the oven......

A

#39 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

I’m sorry the first batch wasn’t awesome for you. My first try at blue oysters was iffy too. Big stems, small caps, and some aborts. I dried and powdered my stems like you did. I have no clue what to use that for lol. The next flushes were much better. With more fresh air they got much bigger caps. More delicate flavor than buttons. Breaded and fried chunks are great, and sautéed with butter and onions and folded into scrambled eggs is a favorite too :)

I bought an ultrasonic humidifier for $10 on FB marketplace so I don’t have to mist. Then I blast a fan a few times a day.

How are the rest of your varieties coming along?

Edited by Pakil, 04 June 2020 - 06:30 PM.

#40 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

Thank you Pakil but I'm not sad at all. I've learned so much in such a short time period and was rewarded with mushrooms, albeit dried. I'm excited for the next flush and another opportunity to put my new info to work. I moved my King oysters, Lion's Mane and Pioppinos to a different set up with more air. The COTW and HOTW mycelium is changing color and getting bumpy. Lastly, in about 1 more week, my Lion's Mane on rice/barley/millet is almost ready for the mycelium to be dried for grain tek.

The dried elm oysters will be ground and added Italian red sauce for flavor and thickening. Also mushroom gravy, mushroom soup, maybe vinaigrette, mushroom rolls?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!