Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

I bought a few syringes, now trying to figure out what to do.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:02 PM

The new high airflow setup. High temp hot glued PEX frame, covered in white bug netting (to keep out leggos and other objects) with a little plastic sheeting over the upper sides to keep some humidity in. Hopefully it works! :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200604_195406-1.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#42 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:33 AM

Mushroom farmers are some of the most creative people on Earth........just awesome. I put a 55 gallon drum over mine last year with a screen lid. Pretty much made a temporary pond using a plastic liner and set my fruiting blocks up on mini milk crates and still had to spray it down several times a day to keep humidity up. I'm absolutely building a fruiting tent from a 6 X 10 green house (to start with and probably something more permanent as I go forward)

It's always a challenge of some sort but the results are way worth it.....

A

• Pakil and YoshiTrainer like this

#43 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:58 PM

Arathu, We do get pretty creative! I love seeing people’s setups. I recently got a pair of timers - the infinite ones (or whatever they’re called - on-off-on-off forever). I’m trying to dial things in and stop opening the mini greenhouse all the time,

YT, I love your recipe ideas. I‘ll share this mushroom gravy recipe I made a few weeks ago, it was really good. I subbed beef bouillon for veg broth. https://recipeland.c...oom-gravy-49949
  • Arathu likes this

#44 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

That gravy looks delicious Pakil, I was also thinking subbing ground mushroom for flour in baked goods? Mushroon/rosemary bread, mushroom/butter/garlic popovers, vegetable stew hand pies with mushroom crusts....... :)
  • Seee and Pakil like this

#45 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:04 PM

I always wanted to try a mushroom and amaranth flour for making bread...might have to do that....

Hopefully the Hen of the Woods harvest this year is stupid.....I need to restock frozen, canned, and dry...

That gravy does look good....makes me want to cook some deer back-straps and potatoes....

A

• Pakil and YoshiTrainer like this

#46 Seee

Seee

Ghost

• Free Member
  • 565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 07:30 PM

i find myself spending all my likes on this thread!! .. the limited times ive cultivated oysters, i dried them, powdered them and made mushroom seasoning (just add a little bit of herbs and salt..
i usually make umami bombs (meat replacement) by blending up wheat and mushrooms,
heres a read up on edibles used as/in flour, seems like a good idea, but it says it has to be rehydrated to get the umami kick

https://foragerchef....room-sourdough/

Edited by Seee, 06 June 2020 - 07:37 PM.

• Arathu, Moonless and YoshiTrainer like this

#47 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:34 PM

Thank you for the kind words and the awesome link Seee!

#48 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

I'm so proud of you!

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#49 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 01:26 AM

Thank you very much Moonless, hopefully I'm just getting started!

#50 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:35 PM

Oh wow! Some great ideas. I remember searching “mushroom flour” and got some hits, but I’ve forgotten till now LOL. The gravy was really good. We made potatoes in the instant pot and ended up just eating all the potatoes that night with the gravy. Beef roast chunks or similar will go really well with it. It smelled strong like stuffing with the spices, but it tasted incredible. I was just reading the forager chef site a few days ago looking for pickled mushrooms. I’ve got a flush of shiitake coming in and I’m getting burned out and I think they’d hold up well pickled. I read that they rehydrate well, so I’m thinking maybe I’ll go that direction. I don’t like them as much as I thought I would. So far I like oysters best, but I haven’t tried very many kinds. I found some good looking marinated mushroom salads that seem like they’d be good for summer. I’m thinking about the baking idea now, staying at home got us to start baking bread :)

#51 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

Grifola frondosa, aka-Hen of the Woods, aka-Sheephead, aka-Maitake, is my all time favorite....but it's nice to have a wide choice throughout the year......

On a good fruiting year there can be hundreds of pounds of them in the wild......I do have a maitake culture in fact. Going for it again this year.

I like my shiitake but they fruit and then....you wait....same with maitake....

I too agree that oysters are pretty darn good as well......planning on making oyster logs this season....lions mane too and more shiitake

I think I'm canning mushrooms and deer along with the excess beans, peppers, tomatoes, and whatever else this year....I usually just cook and freeze mine....

Make some venison mushroom stew and can it.......I'm getting hungry....

A

• Juthro likes this

#52 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2020 - 10:14 AM

Venison mushroom stew sounds amazing Arathu!
  • Arathu likes this

#53 Pakil

Pakil

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:51 PM

Is there a recipe thread I should be using? My local foraging group had this post today and I thought of you-all to share it with. The guy said he didn’t put the sauce on anything, just ate it straight :). I’m thinking over linguini would probably be good too. My blue oysters aren’t pinning, and I’m getting hungry :). Maybe a few hours in the fridge will kick the blocks into gear.

Just wanted to share! 

peace :)

C95F3715-0F9A-495D-BE89-4BB8843066A1.png 4485EABD-7AD2-4AC8-BAB8-69011A6879AB.jpeg

• Juthro and YoshiTrainer like this

#54 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

My stomach just growled............man does that sound good! I just saved that recipe to my computer thank you! 

The edibles are by far my favorite mushrooms now......I'm getting older......but not THAT old yet...... hahaha 

Man I have a ton of work to do....

A

Edited by Arathu, 16 June 2020 - 07:21 PM.

#55 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:59 PM

Pioppino grown in the new "high air flow", set up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200616_130001-1.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#56 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:20 PM

Very nice...some mushrooms love an amazing amount of air...a windy spray even....

I bought a six head House of Hydro fogger that's going in a fruiting tent soon.....

With plenty of air flow......Awesome man enjoy!

A

#57 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:49 PM

Looks like I'm going to get some Henny! :)

When should I harvest the Lion's Mane? Is it best just sliced and fried w/a dipping sauce or butter and garlic or.....?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201027_112006-1.jpg
  • 20201027_111957-1.jpg

• Arathu, Pakil and Auhron like this

#58 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,920 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:58 AM

O hell yeah.....you have hens AND mane.......butter and garlic in a skillet slowly cooked to perfection......

Great job Yoshi! Congratulations....I've been trying to get hens to grow that way but no luck yet.....

That Lions Mane looks ready to go, harvest, slice, and fry in butter or olive oil with fresh garlic.....

A

Edited by Arathu, 30 October 2020 - 04:59 AM.

#59 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,221 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:34 AM

Thank you Arathu, the lions mane will be dealt with this weekend.
The hens are sizing up quickly, can't wait!
  • Arathu likes this

#60 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:55 PM

Yea that Lions Mane is looking perfect, way nicer teeth then I have ever gotten. May need to look into your humidity set up!

If that lions mane is discoloring a bit, yellowish, I would pull it sooner.

Edited by rockyfungus, 30 October 2020 - 12:55 PM.

• Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!