Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Hey good morning - newb here - just had Q about a product and waslooking for some help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:25 AM

Has anyone on here heard or has maybe tried using this product instated of ground oyster shell or oyster flour?

I learned that oyster shell is not as available as other calcium sources before it is broken down by a soil's ecosystem which can take years from what I have been told and read.

it can alos buff ph against acidic ingredients in bulk mixes but alot of brands say that and also you can buff sodium bicarb if you had too from my experience.

I know it rather forward of my to post a Q so early in my journey here but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just shook my jars for the first time - they ranged from 105ish to 30%ish - just to buy myself some more time to figure out my bulk strategy.

i am over thinking my thinks :tinfoil:  or am i on the right track or should i just stick with what works? -pickling lime will be here today-

TY!!

Closet :biggrin: :biggrin:

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200306_081211 (1).jpg
  • 20200306_081117.jpg

• wharfrat likes this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,135 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 March 2020 - 11:14 PM

I strictly use pickling lime myself.

• BigCityCloset likes this

#3 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,702 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 March 2020 - 04:32 PM

Has anyone on here heard or has maybe tried using this product instated of ground oyster shell or oyster flour?

I learned that oyster shell is not as available as other calcium sources before it is broken down by a soil's ecosystem which can take years from what I have been told and read.

it can alos buff ph against acidic ingredients in bulk mixes but alot of brands say that and also you can buff sodium bicarb if you had too from my experience.

I know it rather forward of my to post a Q so early in my journey here but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just shook my jars for the first time - they ranged from 105ish to 30%ish - just to buy myself some more time to figure out my bulk strategy.

i am over thinking my thinks :tinfoil:  or am i on the right track or should i just stick with what works? -pickling lime will be here today-

TY!!

welcome.

oyster shells are only used in casing, although they do add a slight ph buffer over time, their main purpose is to add fluffiness to the casing, that why you need crushed oyster shell, with out it, the casing lays flat on the substrate, you want some air circulation at the sub level, oysters leave little pockets.

we really don't need much ph buffers in mycology unless you are using a highly acidic substrate (like coffee), you will want to raise the PH. you will need pickling lime to accomplish that, which can be found in the grocery store. usually in the canning section

• BigCityCloset and Mycol like this

#4 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

TY!!

welcome.

oyster shells are only used in casing, although they do add a slight ph buffer over time, their main purpose is to add fluffiness to the casing, that why you need crushed oyster shell, with out it, the casing lays flat on the substrate, you want some air circulation at the sub level, oysters leave little pockets.

we really don't need much ph buffers in mycology unless you are using a highly acidic substrate (like coffee), you will want to raise the PH. you will need pickling lime to accomplish that, which can be found in the grocery store. usually in the canning section

TY sir! i am coming from the flower world and PH was close to the top when it came to worrying about things.

So is the best plan to just go fora  neutral 7 ph?

• wharfrat likes this

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,702 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2020 - 02:54 PM

yes

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!