Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Something to do while we're waiting... virtual book club anyone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:01 AM

Ok looks like we're ALL in for the long haul on this virus thing. Like most of you i'm looking at this as an opportunity to fire up some more myco projects.  But that will only take so long.... add that to my Netflix binge threshold and i'm left wondering what other (have not had a spring thaw yet in my neck of the woods) PRODUCTIVE things I can do with my imposed "social distancing" time.   Have been wanting to read some intellectually stimulating material for a while ,now looks like now might be a good time to re-float the idea of us ( seemingly liked minded) folks, reading (or watching) a book or movie then discussing it here, (picking up where Pharmer & the Man for all seasons idea left off). If an admin agrees???

Maybe we all could propose then vote book or movie ideas- to make it democratic ;) ... like POTM - (for now anyway-once the dust settles and we have to get back to the world this may become a dead of winter project that gets piked up from time to time) 

Let's make some lemonade out of these lemons folks!! 

My nomination .. if this should move forward is:

Brothers Karamazov- Fyodor Dostoyevsky

• wharfrat and Moonless like this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:05 PM

“The world says: "You have needs -- satisfy them. You have as much right as the rich and the mighty. Don't hesitate to satisfy your needs; indeed, expand your needs and demand more." This is the worldly doctrine of today. And they believe that this is freedom. The result for the rich is isolation and suicide, for the poor, envy and murder.”

Sorry. After reviewing quotes, I can't.

#3 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

One- it’s not clear from your post if you object to this book in particular. Or the idea of a “group read”? Perhaps my wording was off and I failed to be clear in asking for alternative suggestions
And voting as a group.

The Tolstoy read was my suggestion only.

If you’re open to the idea but have a different book in mind please share.

In suggesting The Tolstoy read, I have only read reviews and summaries of it being a profound examination of the egos deep motivations of the main character and how they play out in society as a whole. Many reviews note that this one book changes a readers perceptions (for the good)

I’m sorry but I can’t speak to your proof text of specific quotes for this book since I have not read the book and try not to take things out of context and look at the big picture. In making (my) nomination I confess I only looked at reviews and suggestions of
Philosophers.

#4 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,100 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:45 PM

I vote Dune because it's my favorite.

Though, I'm actually working from home... so, I don't have the time. Why read it again? Because it's my favorite.

Edited by Guy1298, 16 March 2020 - 08:02 PM.

• Cuboid likes this

#5 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Black VIP
  • 556 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:27 AM

i vote Herman Melville's  Billy Budd,Sailor and selected tales. More specifically Bartleby, The Scrivener.  Kind of a difficult read but worth it. After reading you are like WTF for a long long time. Melville short stories are pretty trippy,and would definitely be a goldmine of inside references for us that read it to use anytime here.

Quick read as well.

Do i want to give further details?

"I prefer not."   ; )

#6 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,995 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:21 AM

I like the idea, but after my eye incident, I still keep my computer screen at 200% so I can see it. Less than 2 years ago, I went through at least one novel a month.

Dune is IMO one of the best SciFi novels ever published. I have read the first book twice, all of the sequels, and all of the continuations written by his son with Larry Niven.

I am afraid I could not get through anything with smaller type, or longer than " The Giving Tree" ......................

#7 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,431 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:29 PM

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut. The dude had a warped sense of imagination - in the best possible way

Sirens of Titan would be a good start

and Cat's Cradle has a roughly paralell doomsday scenario to something worse than Covid - heaven forbid

anyway, he's funny while taking your imagination places you'd not likely go

• Oneyedraven likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!