#1 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2020 - 09:56 PM

everytime i get this point in my grow, i think i am at 5 weeks of flower, they leaves start to yellow on me, it usually starts outer part of the leaf and spreads inbetween the viens, the viens are green still but eventually they all die. i'm not sure if it's the age, so it is droping older leaves, or nute lock, calcium def? water is not an issue, nutes have been the same since first week of flower "open sesame" i just now switched to "bestie blooms" (after yellowing), both a fox farms product.. runoff PH is 5.5 to 6. Any ideas? it seems to happen to me every crop, sometimes all the leaves die all the way to the sugar.. it seems to greatly, lower yeild. watering is not the issue and too much water should not be the issue, at least with this plant, i have been very diligent. they are in fabric squat 10g pots. 1000w and a 300w led above her, good FAE. any help appreciated

oh, I have not tried cal/mag on this plant, but have tried in the past with no success to this same issue.

20200317_193540.jpg

20200317_193550.jpg

Edited by wharfrat, 17 March 2020 - 10:11 PM.
my puncuation sux

#2 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:11 PM

1 more thing to add that might be my problem... i never flush between nute switching. and my soil is a peat based medium

Edited by wharfrat, 17 March 2020 - 10:11 PM.

#3 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2020 - 12:08 PM

Are you using Fox Farm base nutrients (big bloom and tiger bloom)? From what i understand the powdered nutrients that you are using are add-ons to the base nutrients, which during flowering is tiger bloom and big bloom. I have had tremendous success using those base nutes in the past, but I never used the powdered add-ons.

Most unfiltered tap water contains sufficient cal-mag, mine does at least. I haven't ever really used additional cal-mag though some people do need it, depending on their water source

Edited by el_ronhub_bird, 18 March 2020 - 02:40 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:35 PM

Are you using Fox Farm base nutrients (big bloom and tiger bloom)? From what i understand the powdered nutrients that you are using are add-ons to the base nutrients, which during flowering is tiger bloom and big bloom. I have had tremendous success using those base nutes in the past, but I never used the powdered add-ons.

Most unfiltered tap water contains sufficient cal-mag, mine does at least. I haven't ever really used additional cal-mag though some people do need it, depending on their water source

hmm, ya know I never thought about that. I thought they were base nutes.. I was using  "grow big" for veg, then switch to open sesame, which I was under the assumption as the only thing I needed. That might explain the problem being only after I quite using the "grow big" which is liquid, and yes the others powder

#5 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

they seem to be stand alone ferts.. here is the trio https://foxfarm.com/...luble-trio-pack

#6 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:18 PM

Ok you are growing in soil, correct? Use that same link to go into the feeding schedule chart for soil. It shows the base nutes plus the million add-ons.like I said, I've used just the plain base nutes with no add-ons and it worked great

Edited by el_ronhub_bird, 18 March 2020 - 07:18 PM.

• wharfrat likes this

#7 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:29 PM

oh, I see.. so you can use the grow big/tiger or big bloom throughout the life with the nutes I have as add on during specific times. guess i'll go get some big or tiger bloom

I understand now, wish it was a bit more clear in advertising

thanks, elron! that clears a lot up  :biggrin:

#8 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:38 PM

damn, that explains a lot. i been fighting this problem for a long time but it all makes sense now.. lack of nitrogen most definately 

Edited by wharfrat, 18 March 2020 - 07:41 PM.
grammer

#9 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

Sure thing buddy!
  • wharfrat likes this

#10 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 735 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

Yes it’s a 3 part system that you alternate out ever other feeding. I’ve had great success with FF when I was growing soil. Yellowing “usually” means a N deficiency. Usually.
  • wharfrat and CatsAndBats like this

#11 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

If you're not getting yourself some big/tiger bloom immediately, it might be worth hitting them with some Grow Big once in the meantime just to help them out with Nitrogen, as you mentioned
  • wharfrat likes this

#12 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,869 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:28 PM

If you're not getting yourself some big/tiger bloom immediately, it might be worth hitting them with some Grow Big once in the meantime just to help them out with Nitrogen, as you mentioned

I did that right away, they were ready for water anyway. looks like it will be fine for a couple weeks, i'll probably go with big bloom, takes some extra steps out of the equation 

#13 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 735 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

I used all three, through out the entire grow.

Water - grow big
Water 2 - big boom
Water 3 - grow big
Water 4 - big bloom
Flower
Water 5 grow big
Water 6 tiger bloom
Water 7 grow big
Week 8 tiger bloom
(Just an example)

Back n fourth ever other water until flower than swap out big bloom for tiger bloom.

But grow big should be used throughout the entire grow. Grow big is powerful until she’s established used light feeding instruction.

Water to waste. And use the 2 knuckle trick to test soil moisture. Stick your finger in soil if you feel damp/wet to your second knuckle you don’t need water.

I used 1 gallon/water for 5 gallon pots. And would water to waste.
  • wharfrat likes this

#14 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:29 AM

PH!!!!
check your PH. it seems like it might be a little to alkaline and you might have some micro nutrients locked out. Also the purple stemming with some yellow along the margins with defined leaves blades might also be caused by a lack of phosphorus and it also could be a lack of Co2 and the plant may not be able to metabolize all the available nutes. imho

EDIT:
never buy nutes based on labels...always always read the back and google the ingredients. you will be surprised how over priced some company's products are, also foliar spraying a mix of Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate) cant hurt and it may help things a little quicker - 2tbsp per qrt of filtered/ ph7+ distilled water - you can also you use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) as the ph up in the foliar spray and it will also help to discourage botrytis/"pm".
aslo imho - if you are using FoxFarm and chose to stay with that brand - you should flush every 10 or so days with PH'ed water along with their "sledgeHammer"/wetting agent - this will help keep the salts left by nutes from building up.

personally i would recommend Canna brand or Sugar peak by EarthJuice

Edited by BigCityCloset, 03 April 2020 - 10:39 AM.

#15 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

I used all three, through out the entire grow.

Water - grow big
Water 2 - big boom
Water 3 - grow big
Water 4 - big bloom
Flower
Water 5 grow big
Water 6 tiger bloom
Water 7 grow big
Week 8 tiger bloom
(Just an example)

Back n fourth ever other water until flower than swap out big bloom for tiger bloom.

But grow big should be used throughout the entire grow. Grow big is powerful until she’s established used light feeding instruction.

Water to waste. And use the 2 knuckle trick to test soil moisture. Stick your finger in soil if you feel damp/wet to your second knuckle you don’t need water.

I used 1 gallon/water for 5 gallon pots. And would water to waste.

I would recommend against going back and forth like this. This will encourage deficiencies and will make it hard to come back from anything because of the time between waterings, it is always better to have a feeding of all the nutrients the plant needs - of course thats all dependent on the stage of growth - never deny your plant parts of its needs and never give it too much love unless you know what you are doing - for example a potassium spike/toxicity at the end of a flower cycle can cause a major trichome growth spurt and you can harvest before the plant dies from the toxicity but but but dont do stuff like that unless your are very familiar with your plants capabilities and harvest schedule.

#16 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 10:49 AM

Check your  states water source - you can google it. for example out here in CA we have too much Ca and almost no Mg so everyone in Ca supplements Mg, commonly with Epsom salt(Magnesium Sulfate)

always read the instructions! the powders are "additives" they are not even necessary. you need to use grow big with tiger bloom and then just adjust the ratios as the stages of your growth progress.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!