627 replies to this topic

#621 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,232 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:31 AM

^i've wondered the same thing, as we obviously use the most hand sanitizer in the world (and likely wash our hands the most, since we have sinks and running water), you would think if it worked, we'd be doing pretty well, or at least maybe we wouldnt have 600,000 dead countrymen.  As the country who took it the worst in the world, likely because of our obesity, and what we eat in general, I would say whatever we are doing, is dead fucking wrong.   

Edited by riseabovethought, 16 September 2021 - 11:40 AM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and YoshiTrainer like this

#622 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,939 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:45 AM

Blame it on the unvaccinated, blame it on the delta, blame it on loosening all restrictions but we are going through one of the worst waves of the pandemic at the moment. Vaccination rates are around the 60% mark. Restrictions are back on even though we were promised they were gone for good  :blush:  Politicians and healthcare experts are apologizing, hospitals are full, and as of today the unvaccinated are now no longer allowed to gather anywhere.

We are no where near out of the woods

This article does make one wonder about hospital numbers, obviously the concern around ICU remains the same but some of the data may be a little messy surrounding hospitalized case counts.

https://www.theatlan...leading/620062/

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 16 September 2021 - 11:47 AM.

• Myc and YoshiTrainer like this

#623 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:09 PM

"Blame it on the unvaccinated, blame it on the delta, blame it on loosening all restrictions but we are going through one of the worst waves of the pandemic at the moment."

What gets ignored are China's wet markets, many nations' factory farms, and the use of bushmeat in those areas (Africa & Brazil & maybe south east Asia) where the rainforests are being cut by poor laborers. The wet markets, and the use of bushmeat foster zoonotic transmission; and the factory farms, foster viral evolution.

Also there is no vaccine for the zika virus. So there is plenty of potential for more pandemics, due to many unwise human practices.

Often a scapegoat is selected, to avoid dealing with the complexities of situations.

Interestingly, and perhaps amusingly?

There is a vaccine for Ebola; and ebola virus being both much more deadly and gruesome than covid-19, ... so all the anti-vaxers would gladly get the ebola vaccine, were the virus to arrive in the USA and have some spread.

And Zika causes brain damage to unborn children. Covid is by no means the worst possibility. And Zika is transmitted by mosquitoes, so masks are of no help in this case, isn't that great !

Edited by shiftingshadows, 16 September 2021 - 02:20 PM.

• Microbe and YoshiTrainer like this

#624 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:08 PM

. Restrictions are back on even though we were promised they were gone for good  :blush:  

Not trying to pick at you Rooster, but how many of 'we' followed the advice and recommendations that 'they' promised would help mitigate the the spread of the virus.

You yourself refused to get the vaccine, and became infected.  How many people did you spread it to before you recognized the symptoms, and knew you were sick?   Society is getting what they ordered.  The experts cant make this magickly go away, but the way it plays out could have been a lot smoother if people would have followed some of their simple directives instead of bitching about them.

• shiftingshadows likes this

#625 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,704 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 11:40 AM

@ TVCasualty

.    Well in a general way, our world is far more toxic, due to numerous sources, than it was pre WWII. Which was I think when the chemical revolution, followed the industrial revolution. So we got Nuclear fallout, leaded gas, pesticides, plastic everywhere, (now turned into nano particles), mega cities with killer smog; as well as all the crap in peoples bathrooms and under the kitchen sink and in their garages with labels with dozens of compounds, whose names you need a chemistry degree to pronounce. 

I find it fascinating that one guy (Thomas Midgley, Jr.)  invented both leaded gasoline AND chlorofluorocarbons.

And apparently ~30% of all industrial carbon emissions are produced by just 20 corporations, and 100 account for 71%

I'm guessing much of the last 29% comes from meat and dairy production: "Together, the world’s top five meat and dairy corporations are now responsible for more annual greenhouse gas emissions than Exxon, Shell or BP." (source)

It almost seems like a surmountable problem when looking at it this way. All we have to do is give up oil, pointless consumerism, meat, and dairy. Almost; there might "only" be 20 companies causing so much of the damage, but they are pretty damned huge companies who generate more revenue and hold more assets than most actual countries. Now please excuse me while I go drive to the store to get the fixin's for grilling cheeseburgers on my propane grill tomorrow to celebrate my freedumb. To feel better about being the problem I'll be sure to also recycle something, or buy a carbon credit or whatever then humbelbrag about it on Twitter later.

And "carbon credits," incidentally, are the reason why Tesla is not still operating in the red. I guess it's being kept legally distinct from his space program, though that's more about classic pollution than carbon. It all strikes me as the classic old shell game that still somehow manages to con people out of their money; "Spot the polluter! Is he under this cup? That one? Did he buy a credit and so isn't under any cup?"

• ElPirana, FLASHINGROOSTER and YoshiTrainer like this

#626 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,939 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:10 PM

How many people did you spread it to before you recognized the symptoms, and knew you were sick?

Who knows. no idea where I got it from either. I could have easily got it from a vaccinated person as well, there is no way to prove it one way or another.  We had fully vaccinated people showing up sick to work too. Right now its debatable whether or not vaccinated still spread the virus just the same as vaccinated. They have some guesses and idea's but nothing appears to be concrete.

https://publichealth...ted-individuals

The decision to return to mask wearing for vaccinated people was based on that fact

The experts knew what our vaccination rates were and made decisions based on what they thought was going to be a more effective vaccine. As we are now seeing things didn't turn out that way.

At this point I am ready to get it to be done with all the arguing.

#627 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,650 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:45 PM

Rooster, I'm really not trying to argue with you, but I do not agree with you.   All I'm trying to say is that you cant have it both ways.  You cant legitimately bitch about the results of the experts decisions, and guidance when you haven't been willing to follow them.

Do I think they get everything right, hell no, but I do think they are making the best decisions they can with the information they have.  I also think that if the masses had been more concerned with their fellow humans then whether or not their rights were being infringed on by being forced to wear masks in public, then we would be in a far better situation right now.   I don't think for a second that it would have made the virus go away, but I do think it would have alleviated many unnecessary deaths, and we would have a better handle on it's spread.

#628 shiftingshadows

shiftingshadows

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 08:15 PM

@TVCasualty

…”And apparently ~30% of all industrial carbon emissions are produced by just 20 corporations, and 100 account for 71%. “

.    I wonder where destroying the rainforests fits into the equation.

.    And apparently plankton in the oceans is also responsible for making the atmosphere, tolerable. And they are being both heated and acidified. 

.    Of course these effects are related to the carbon emissions, but cutting down the rainforests for beef, palm oil, & development, etc. is a separate and parallel, path of destruction.

.    The US seems to have almost continually been involved in major wars, from some point in the 1960s to the present, say roughly half a century. I wonder what percent of carbon emissions, could be accounted for by these follies. 

.    There was all the fuel burnt to get supplies & men there, and some back, ( & Vietnam  etc are all far away); and then the cost of operations there in terms of fuel spent; and then there was the cost in electricity and fossils fuel used to manufacture all the weapons, bombs, missiles, agent orange, etc. 

.   Plus all the energy spent on logistic support for a half century of war back in the US. To say nothing of Regan’s & Bush senior’s illegal ‘activities’ in Central America. And to say nothing of what are said to be about 600-800 permanent US military bases around the world - there is a reason for military budgets being ‘black’ or secret.

.    And a side effect is to scare and antagonize other countries into also focusing on war, militarization, & weapons development, all also with associated costs to the planetary environment.

.     My dietary preferences are due to health concerns and habit, & not morality. Hardly seems like guilt over grilling some burgers is called for.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!