Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Need some more experienced eyes on this. How am I doing?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:15 AM

ty for checking this out

its all B+

moved to bulk on 3-12

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

• tcg and Toybox78 like this

#2 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:54 AM

The white myc looks good, but there is something else growing with it, unless myc is dying off. I would quarantine it for now.

• Moonless and BigCityCloset like this

#3 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:05 AM

The white myc looks good, but there is something else growing with it, unless myc is dying off. I would quarantine it for now.

ah crap!

what do you think it is?

the grow bags below it are pretty much white and solid.

could it be lack of ventilation?

and TY FOR THE HELP!

#4 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:07 AM

also i didnt use a casing layer and after mixing some rye berries were visible still. Those are the dark spots.

#5 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:39 AM

Oh also the patches have been around for days and dont seem to be spreading at all and actually seem to be shrinking and or turning into what looks more like what I have seen here.

Would a casing layer be a good idea?

#6 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 11:41 AM

sorry for the spam posting!

but another question popped up in my head. Could it be too much humidity?

#7 BigCityCloset

BigCityCloset

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:31 PM

here is a range of pics from 3-21 of what i got going.

could it be humidity? it doesnt seem to be growing very fast or at least isnt out competing the myc. imho

Attached Thumbnails

• B+2 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • B+ 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • B+3 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • Classic 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • Classic2 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • Hualta 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • Hualta2 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • Hualta 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • GTeacher 3-21 - Copy.jpg
  • gteacher2 3-21 - Copy.jpg

#8 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:25 PM

ty for checking this out
its all B+
moved to bulk on 3-12

Looks good in guessing it's the center of that block is colonized you should start to see pins in about a week depending on the temp and humidity of the chamber.
Looks good though

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
  • BigCityCloset likes this

#9 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:40 PM

I am with One on this, it seems like you have something else growing at the top. The picture serves a nice example of two different growth, the dense and bright white is mycelium and the whispy, grey/off-white is something else. Quarentine is a good idea. When in quarentine or outside you might want to take the chance to smell it for any sent of sour or sweet, if it does it is most likely a bacteria or mold :)

#10 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,386 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:42 PM

It is possible it could be some overlay, but it does not look good to me in the grey area's. Don't toss it, just quarantine it.

This grey surrounding the white myc in this pic is what I am talking about. It just doesn't look right to me. Someone else can chime in.

post-163407-0-76815000-1584811713_thumb.

• Moonless and BigCityCloset like this

#11 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:04 AM

It is possible it could be some overlay, but it does not look good to me in the grey area's. Don't toss it, just quarantine it.

This grey surrounding the white myc in this pic is what I am talking about. It just doesn't look right to me. Someone else can chime in.

post-163407-0-76815000-1584811713_thumb.

Dose it smell funky?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,417 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

I should probably add that I've had trays looks like that when the humidity was excessive and the amount of condensation was heavy enough to weigh down the mycelium growing into the air (mycelium growing into the air is caused by the high humidity). That gave it a matted appearance that was just like what we're seeing in your pictures.

If they don't start knotting (forming primordia) real soon then they might be over-incubated and at risk of overlay (matted mycelium that inhibits fruiting, basically). It's still a bit too soon to tell for sure, but the good news is that overlay is not a big deal (you can cure it with a fork, if necessary).

At first I thought this was the thread I'd already replied to; did you post the other thread asking about the same issue because this one is in the Welcome Mat? In the future if a thread is in the wrong forum or needs to be moved you can ask a mod to do it for you which avoids redundant threads. We can also merge them but I'm hesitant to do that since it can also make things a bit messy and confusing.

• FunG and BigCityCloset like this

#13 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

I should probably add that I've had trays looks like that when the humidity was excessive and the amount of condensation was heavy enough to weigh down the mycelium growing into the air (mycelium growing into the air is caused by the high humidity). That gave it a matted appearance that was just like what we're seeing in your pictures.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread too much, but I'm also wondering if it's possible high humidity could be causing my problems. I have two blocks (grain + coir kit) innoculated w/b+ at the same time. I birthed both of the blocks when I noticed one was pinning. The block that was pinning in vitro is now fruiting, although the largest are still only like 1 1/2" or so. The other block hasn't started pinning yet. I think the FAE is sufficient since the mushrooms aren't growing fuzzy feet or heads, but I'm not sure if there's maybe too much (or too little) humidity.

I don't have the experience yet to know if the 2nd block just needs time, or if it needs an intervention of some sort. Both blocks smell good and mushroomy, especially when I mist.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200828_151132.jpg IMG_20200828_151313.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,417 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:29 PM

I'd watch and wait.

All those tiny white specks are primordia that will hopefully grow into pins that will hopefully grow into mature mushrooms.

• jrh likes this

#15 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to trying your honey recipe soon.

• TVCasualty and coorsmikey like this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,417 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

You will not be disappointed!

#17 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,215 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:29 PM

Just keep them as they are and behold......those look good from here......

Can't wait to see these finish......

A[

post-113856-0-06455100-1598661464.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• Eating-Popcorn-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-and-Facebook-30.gif

Edited by Arathu, 28 August 2020 - 07:40 PM.

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,417 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:38 PM

The brand might not make a difference, but I kinda want to order this one just for the bag it comes in: https://www.webstaur...80POPMAGIC.html

#19 jrh

jrh

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:22 AM

Sad to say, my first flush was a disappointing 13g wet. I discovered I had a moisture problem yesterday when I noticed a couple of mushroom caps had started cracking. That seemed to indicate sufficient FAE but not enough water. Sure enough my spray bottle had broken the day before and I just lazily ordered a replacement from amazon (arriving tonight). When I saw the cracking, I went and bought a spray bottle last night and gave everything a good misting before bed.

This morning, the veils on a few mushrooms had broken so I just harvested what was available. The biggest mushroom was 1"-2" tall, but mostly they were overgrown pins. They're in the dehydrator now, 105 degrees f for 10 hrs.

IMG_20200830_110549.jpg

Lessons learned

1. I started off with a pre-prepared grain + coir kit. It seems like the kit itself was pretty good, but as everyone but me knew, it's impossible to regulate the moisture inside the bag. The grains tend to be dry so the mycelium starts to colonize then stalls out. I've learned to put the bags in a humid environment to add moisture, but it's still impossible to get any real momentum going. I'm guessing the mycelium is always a bit stressed out.

2. As a result my blocks were probably somewhat dehydrated when I birthed them. I should probably have started with a dunk and shock before putting them into the fc to give them a good start.

2a. Should I maybe dunk and shock now? If so, do I need to remove all the pins before doing that?

IMG_20200830_110708.jpg  IMG_20200830_110733.jpg

3. I assumed humidity was the same as the mushrooms having enough moisture to grow. I had a cold air mister humidifying the fc, but I needed more moisture in the substrate so the primordia could pin and fruit. Is substrate the correct word?

4. I thought it was verboten to spray anything but the sides of the fc. In good fruiting situation, you probably don't need to spray anything but the sides, and only to keep the humidity up. Since my setup needs moisture, I probably need to mist the blocks with frequent, small mists to add moisture without letting anything get soggy until I can course correct with a dunk.

Thoughts?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!