• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Foxdogg

Foxdogg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:26 AM

Hey guys, I was hoping for some guidance in strategy here. I'm taking the 2020 quarantine very seriously and trying to limit contact with the outside world. I have a few feminized seeds coming in, RumRunner from Greenpoint, and I'm just supplying my household so I wanted to plan some strategy so we don't have to worry about our supply, i was hoping you guys could help guide me.

I ordered 5 seeds, I was thinking about trying one indoor spacebucket grow and one outdoor grow (so 2 seeds to start). I was going to keep the other seeds in reserve to see which method worked better. The outdoor grow is simple enough, but I won't have all of the necessary stuff available for the indoor grow so I'll need to improvise a bit. I have some CFL's (for room lighting) an LED strip and a few other things that I'm thinking I can slap together successfully using the OverGrow guide. But this is my first time growing so I'm concerned I'm going to beef it or destroy the seeds. The OverGrow guide is clear about rookie mistakes,  so I'm following it closely. I'll use this post to detail my efforts. 

The information is a bit overwhelming, but I'm hopeful I can get something going.

• Skywatcher likes this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,293 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:21 PM

Is your climate good for outdoor grows? I personally do better with real sun, but do not have freeze issues to have to work around. With outside grows, my only real issues are from insect infestation. (bud worms)

By using BHT as needed, I was able to eliminate that problem last year.

By training from the beginning to low stress spread the canopy, I can get a good maximum of colas, and supply my needs easily.

I do take a lot of care with the germination in optimum temps and moisture, with a pre-soak for 24 hours in a 1 part Hydrogen peroxide to 5 parts good clean chlorine free water. I sterilize the starter soil. I do much better with planting the pre-soaked seeds about 1/4- 1/2 inch deep, and then keeping the soil moist and warm until the seedlings pop out of the ground. I then start them outside in gentle sun until they have the first set of actual leaves, and then move them to full sun.

I personally cannot do indoor grows because of space limitations, and mostly from lack of funding for adequate lighting.

• Hash_Man and Foxdogg like this

#3 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,555 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:41 PM

Some day these maniacs here will finally let me do the same thing. I would LOVE to put in a nice patch for myself.....sigh

A

• Hash_Man and Foxdogg like this

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2020 - 05:55 PM

Start the seeds indoors under CFL - Compact Flourescent Lighting - or regular flourescent or low-wattage LED lighting.

Once they sprout, keep the seedlings within 2 - 3 inches from the light. Make sure this is not too hot by holding the back of your hand in the region I just described for a short duration. If your hand doesn't develop  a hot-spot your seedlings will be fine.

If the seedlings are too far from the light, they will stretch and fall over - possibly dying. Too close to the light, and they will burn.

Start the seedlings in a peat-based soil. Grow soil is too hot and will kill the seedlings.

The lights you propose will be perfect for the vegetation stage (first 90 days of life). After that your plants will get stretchy and light starved. Those lights will not produce very high-quality flower.

These are the pitfalls that I see most first-timers make.

After the seedlings develop four sets of true leaves, transplant them into your grow mix. At this point, start your low-stress topping. Lean the apical meristem over until it snaps. This will produce two resultant branches which will begin to produce leaf sets of their own. Now you get to choose how to shape your plant based upon the nodal arrangement. You'll notice that they alternate as you go up the stem. After 2-3 more leaf sets, you'll top them again. Now you will have four resultant branches. -- If you're going outdoors and have the time - go for another pair of leaf sets and top the 4 branches in the manner described above. You will now have eight large sites - which if cared for properly - will produce some serious colas.

I use 3 equal parts of - Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Fox Farm Happy Frog and Sunshine mix #4 as my go-to soil mix.

If you're growing in a  big container - put the container on a furniture mover's dolly (or in a wagon) so you can move it around (or inside if necessary).

If you're growing in-ground - dig a hole and put your soil mix into the hole (as if it were a container).

For outdoors, I would go for a 20-gallon (or larger if you can manage) container. Fabric pots rule and you can probably hack a big one together with landscaping fabric. ;)

(edit) - Once you're done with topping and vegetation, you'll want to "harden-off" the plant. Move the plant into a shaded area (as suggested by Skywatcher) and after 10-14 days move it to a sunnier area slowly until the plant is hard enough for full-sun.

You will be spending some $$$ to try and setup indoors. Strong LED growlights start around $300 each. Fans and environmental air handling equipment, ducting, etc. - will add to the total. My first good garden was a $1200 investment and I went pretty ghetto on a lot of stuff.

You're better-off outdoors if you can manage.

The last thing I can add is that when selecting genetics (and I know you already have done so from your commentary), you'll want to select plants with a flower cycle that is sympathetic to your localized climate.

For example:

If you're in Mexico or Central America, you can get away with growing some bad-ass Sativas. They have a long life cycle and grow quite tall - up to 14 feet.

If you're in - say - a colder, mountainous area, you'll want to consider Indicas. My favorites are strains from the Afghan region. They have a shorter life cycle and usually stay fairly squat and compact - up to 6 feet tall.

Best of luck!

Edited by Myc, 28 March 2020 - 06:00 PM.

• Hash_Man, coorsmikey, Arathu and 4 others like this

#5 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 735 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:36 PM

One thing I’ll share is don’t stress. I’m generalizing but Mother Nature does the hard part. Give your girls plenty of light, nuets and FAE. It’s never going to be perfect on the first time out or even years later. I was on sensory over load when i first had a go at it, bought a lot of shit I didn’t need or used minimally. You’ll find what works for you. I don’t know much about outdoor growing So I can’t comment on that.

She will still produce flowers regardless it’s just maximizing those flowers is ultimately what we are trying to achieve. I used Fox Farm products Grow Big - Big Bloom - Tiger Bloom nuets for all my soil grows and have had amazing results. And used Ocean Forest soil amended with earthworm castings, bat guano and perlite you can also mix in some pro mix to keep good drainage as well.

Always water to waste and use the 2 knuckle trick to check soil moisture. Index finger down into soil if moist to the second knuckle your good if not water to waste. What ever your growing in get saucers for your pots or whatever. Take your clones with a stalk of at least 1/8” dia. ( I always take em with 1/4”) use clonex or the like and your perpetual harvest is off and running.

As for seeds in would damp a paper towel on a plate, lay seeds on damp PT and cover with another damp paper towel and 24hrs the seed softens and sprouts a tap root. I used a hot house and heat mat for all my seed germination with rapid rooter or root riot plugs. I would use tweezers and place newly sprouting seed down into plug (tap root down) not to deep.

Happy Growing.

If your looking for LED’s I have 7 or 8 Mars Hydros 600w reflectors. I would be willing to part with a few or all for a VERY reasonable trade/price. Like you pay shipping and there yours. That goes to anyone reading this. They are doing nobody any good sitting in my basement. Low hrs and well cared for. Food for thought.

Good Luck. and rem the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask.

Edited by Choices, 31 March 2020 - 08:15 PM.

#6 Foxdogg

Foxdogg

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try outdoor here so I'm going to forgo the lights, but I appreciate the offer.

So far, no luck on bag seeds, but I sprouted 2 of the Rum runner today and put them into sprout pots. I got some pics! This is my first time doing this so I'm a bit nervous and hoping to let nature do it's thing. I used some of my soil here that is amazingly fertile. I'll probably put them on a heater mat tonight. Temperature was 85 here last week and it crashed into the 50's this week. 

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 8,293 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

Sometimes if your soil is too rich, it will burn the sprouts or even kill them before they can get above ground. I use a 50/50 blend of cheap cactus mix and potting mix (no time release ferts)

I am sending you some good grow " vibes".........................

• Myc likes this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 8,026 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:50 PM

If you're super-observant you can pick up a lot of tips from the photos and commentary in this thread:

https://mycotopia.ne...ies-are-giants/

I highly recommend a visit to that article just for inspiration.

Notice the grower's use of weak artificial lighting in order to keep the plants in "veg" - even though they are outdoors. You can do this too - and cheaply.

Or raise them indoors until temperatures in your area are up. Then harden-off the plants and move outdoors.

• Hash_Man likes this

#9 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 735 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:22 PM

That was beautiful...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!