• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jpags

Jpags

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:01 PM

So just wondering and figured I would ask all of you more experienced mycologist. How many grows did it take for everyone here to get past the point of wanting to check on your grow every half hour.
  • RutgerHauer, Pakil, 2Ape2 and 1 other like this

#2 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:37 AM

I took me giving up the weed. Made me anxious. Might have also been coincidentally at that time I started getting more confident about my methods. In the beginning I know I have made some mistakes and that made me check every time I could since I didn't know what I was doing exactly and wanted to make sure everything was alright. I also made some mistakes just because of that.

No weed means less mistakes too, for me.

I have now twenty-something grows under rmy belt and I am starting to forget it more often, because it has become normal and is nothing to be worried/very excited about. Also, I have a little stash now so I don't care if a grow goes wrong or not.

I still like it, it is cool stuff, but the newbie excitement has been gone for the last five to ten grows.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 31 March 2020 - 02:40 AM.

• Moonless and Jpags like this

#3 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 11:28 AM

It's my 6th grow and I'm still overdoing it.

I became a bit calmer recently when I cloned a specimen of a successful grow and in the end it fruited very well.

Now I can relax a bit.  :wink:

• Jpags likes this

#4 Jpags

Jpags

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 12:00 PM

Rutgers that totally makes sense about not trusting your methods at first and constantly checking as a result. I definitely feel that is the biggest problem I am having. I just started seeing signs of my mycelium growing in good and since then have stopped checking on it as much. Fortunately having access to sites like this one makes it alot easier to deal with the excitement.

#5 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 180 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 07:07 PM

I've been growing for a good while and I still always want to check on my projects. Especially if it's a new experiment. I've found that having many projects and hobbies will temper the itch.
  • Jpags likes this

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 507 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:04 PM

It took me a few months of continually growing to not check on them more than twice a day. It also helped to be super busy

#7 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:11 PM

This is my 3rd grow and I’m trying to ignore it and trust my methods and cleanliness. I am quasi confident right now.
  • Moonless likes this

#8 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 11:34 AM

When you realize it's like staring at the clock, the more you do it the slower the process seems to take

#9 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 731 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:35 PM

I've been growing p.cubensis for I think over 16years now, maybe 17? I'm very limited with amounts produced that's why I've been growing as long as I have....I'm sure I could grow 20pounds and stockpile them but pffft, the fresher the better.

With that said, I still check on my jars twice a day....once in the morning and once before bed that way I can monitor (the majority) of then for potential contamination. My fruiting bins lol I wont get started on how often I'm peeking at them..... they're right in plain sight of me so I just look over and I can see them..
. Back when I had the extra room, maybe 5-6times a day I'd check them.....

The excitement never gets old but the tasks involved in continuing operating a grow sure gets f'ing redundant.....I'm sure most the oldies would agree with me.... I once enjoyed prepping grain, now it's a job...

You'll get bored of it eventually and then you'll probably want to switch up to pan cyans which are a greater challenge and kind of like graduating classes from cubes to cyans like grade 11 to 12 and azures ending the psilocybe ed-u-ma-cation. :)
  • ItBeBasidia and Jpags like this

#10 Awakening

Awakening

VIP Member

• OG VIP
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:44 PM

You say it like it's a bad thing! I find it so fascinating to watch their changes, especially at fruiting time you can almost watch them grow. If it is a bit overwhelming though sounds like it's a good time to spend more time out of the house, depending on where you live that might be hard atm but around here there's nobody to tell you to stay indoors in the forests!
  • UniqueUsername likes this

#11 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:08 AM

I like having multiple projects going at once, so there is always some action. Checking on one project everyday is absolute torture imo. Try having all stages of life occuring at the same time i think you will stay occupied
  • FunG likes this

#12 Darkfatal7

Darkfatal7

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 11:03 AM

I start mutiple projects of different things so that I am not constantly checking in on it either. The excitement still hits me many years later. Honestly mushroom growing is one of the most fasinating things on earth

#13 porkmander

porkmander

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

I've just been growing edible mushrooms, far less exciting and yet probably check them once a day. Considering fruiting them in my office to keep an eye on them. 

#14 2Ape2

2Ape2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:15 PM

I haven't cultivated yet but I can relate it to other grows and projects.  I admit that I obsess but I tend to use it to learn every aspect of anything I can.  I feel it makes me stronger in the end.  I am sure I'll do the same thing when I pull the trigger and cultivate.  I'm going with P. cubensis for my first strain on purpose.  I don't plan to have multiple projects going at once or frequently successions.  I have a target in mind as far as volume goes and it won't be difficult to hit if all goes well.  I'm the kind of person that the hard lessons stick the longest but I won't complain if all goes well.  There is always lessons to learn, and this won't be any different.  Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.  

• Jpags likes this

#15 Jpags

Jpags

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:01 PM

Thank you all so much for your inputs. I really do love hearing that it doesnt get old redundant is one thing but the excitement still being there is awesome. Should I worry about possibly contaminating them by checking on the. To often if that is even possible since they are sealed up

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!